Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I know with VM if I have my phone off and somebody left me a VM it will go to my phone when I turn it back on. Do texts work the same way?

Let's say I am switching/upgrading to a new phone, in the short time interval of say 5 minutes when my phone/SIM card is de-activated (being moved to new phone), and somebody either calls or texts me, will I lose that VM or text??

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
yes.. its the same as any other phone. It most likely will take a couple of minutes to find the data for your account, n then bosh, you have your texts on your phone. Texts and voicemails are normally related to the number, not the phone your using.

Oliver.m

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
Essex, England
They'll be fine. The network will store them and resend them when your sim registers with the network again. It's the same as having no signal.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Thanks! Makes sense . . . when SIM is out of phone, it's like no signal.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
They'll be fine. The network will store them and resend them when your sim registers with the network again. It's the same as having no signal.

Correct. If the device is FULLY powered off the network will hold SMS/MMS for a maximum period of 72hrs (3days). Keep in mind some providers have the following services (by default or add-ons to existing plans):

WhoCalled (Rogers Wireless in Canada) - sends you an SMS if you miss a call (in signal or out of signal, or even if device is off and will send up to 72hrs I've tested) - This is annoying as HELL!
MMS archival on providers site - you logon and you can save the actual MMS to your PC or resend it to your phone within 30days of originally send date from the other user.

cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.