Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toxictrix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Texas
I would keep a case on it for sure. I really don't care about resale. I just know I drop phones a lot and the case really saves me. Also, I like knowing my phone is pristine under the case.

neilp4453

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Even with the use of a case 99% of the time..my back still has slight scratches on the back. Let the light shine on it right and you will see scratches straight through the silver apple.

I like to keep my technology clean and damage free...so hellz ya...I would still use a case.

I just sold my 3G for 360bucks on ebay.....I kept it in great condition through the use of cases when handling it...so def. worth it imo.

Plus..though I keep great care of my stuff...I have still managed to drop my iphone 2-3 times (not on solid concrete but on the carpet and such).

I'm pretty sure without a case...the back would get massacred.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I personally dont think resale is a factor, I never used a case or screen protector on my ipod touch, iPhone, iPhone 3g, or my current 3GS. I have sold all but the 3GS and received top dollar for them. I think if you take care of your possessions, electronics in this case, they generally don't get damaged or scratched. This is all my opinion, I feel the same way about the car bras to protect the front bumper of your car. Why cover up good design just to make it more valuable when you sell it.

V4705

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
i'm not thinking about selling, i just keep all my gadgets the safest i can, whether is phone or camera or whatever...

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I would love to not use a case but can't stand when my phone has even the slightest scratch on it.

My 3G just had an invisible shield but I didn't like how they wrapped around the round edges so didn't put one on the 3GS and am using a very thin case instead.

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
I quit using one since I have the Best Buy protection plan. Covers everything but theft but if i didnt have that then yes resale would be a factor and it would be in a case.

amorican

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
I would for sure... I even use an Incase shell on my MBP. It does help for resale, but I like having the protection. Everyone has dropped a phone at least once, and I'd rather damage a case than my phone. Plus I am meticulous about keeping my possessions in pristine condition.

I also find that the extra bulk of my Candyshell makes typing easier with two hands for me. It just fits my hands better.

ericxd

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
NO! If it was not for resell value I wouldnt put a case on...honestly, the iPhone looks best naked. Laying the phone itself on table tops etc. will easily cause scruffss and scratches. The case is there to reduce scruffs and hairline scratches.

And I dont expect my case to protect the phone against iPhone, as i rarely drop my phone.

iandre

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
Case or not case, that's the question ;)

I'm still not sure if I should get a case for my new Iphone 3GS, which I'll get in a weeks time. The screen - so I read - needs no protection and the back, well that seems to be a different issue.
I would like it to be safe but probably wont use a case, since I find most of them ugly.

If you know really thin cases, please write me a pm since it's off-topic. Thanks :)

LightSpeed1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Washington D.C.
For those who like the their phone outside a case try clear coat, but on another note i have seen water damaged iphones on ebay easily go for $300 to $400. In most cases someone knows someone that knows someone that works at an apple store. Who would switch their phone out regardless of what's wrong with it. Even i know someone who would and that not saying much.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Yes! I almost never drop my phone, but did one day while out on my brick pooldeck, right onto one of the corners of the iphone. Luckily I had a Capsule Rebel on the thing. Only the corner of the case got scratched. Nothing at all happened to my precious phone. If I had not had the case, I shudder to think of the possibilities. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.