Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tralasau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
Try the free atomic web browser app. Someone mentioned it here yesterday, and i was reading some comments about people complaining about safari, so i thought i would mention it. I just got it yesterday, but it is way better. It has tabs that you can load in the background, it doesn't reload all the time for no reason, and it has multi touch gestures. Basically it is what safari should have been.

mike.coulter

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
I don't mind Safari on my iPod. But It's beginning to bug me on my iMac. It's the nicest browser to use, but I have the fact it opens links in new windows. I have to right click them and click, 'open in new tab' allll the time. Annoying.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7D11 Safari/531.21.10)

mike.coulter said:
I don't mind Safari on my iPod. But It's beginning to bug me on my iMac. It's the nicest browser to use, but I have the fact it opens links in new windows. I have to right click them and click, 'open in new tab' allll the time. Annoying.

One line in terminal fixes that.

mike.coulter

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7D11 Safari/531.21.10)

One line in terminal fixes that.

And that magical line is? :D

MrFuzz

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
The Safari refreshing was driving me crazy. I too have been using the Atomic browser for the last couple of days. What I like best about it:

- tabbed browsing, including opening tabs in the background
- it doesn't constantly refresh like Safari
- customizable two and three finger gestures. I set mine up to go to bookmarks, go back, go forward, and close the current tab. There are dozens of other choices though.
- private browsing option
- full screen browsing, which can be activated/activated with three finger tap
- customizable search engines
- I don't prefer the mobile versions on web pages on the iPad. The screen is big enough that I want the desktop versions. Atomic allows you to set the browser to identify itself as a mobile or desktop browser.
- you can customize just about every feature/setting in the browser

The developer has another thread going, and he seems responsive to just about every positive suggestion that the users are making.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/895063/

Best $1 I've spent so far in the app store.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
i'm starting to think all this Atomic propaganda is the Devs hiring people to advertise :p

I bought it today and I'm fairly happy with it. I think a few UI issues need to be addressed but I love the concept of it. I'm loving adblock and starting to get used to gestures.

PlayHard

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I have to agree on the Atomic Web Browser. It's fantastic. I HATE the way Safari handles multiple pages. The eye candy to swap pages is slow and then it has to refresh which is also annoying. I prefer the tab browsing. I'm not sure if the previous version of Atomic allowed you to import bookmarks, but I just saw it in the new version. That was the only thing I hated but now I have all my Safari bookmarks in Atomic and I'm loving it. (I now just wished it sync'd with MobileMe like my other devices.)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
MrFuzz said:
The Safari refreshing was driving me crazy. I too have been using the Atomic browser for the last couple of days. What I like best about it:

- tabbed browsing, including opening tabs in the background
- it doesn't constantly refresh like Safari
- customizable two and three finger gestures. I set mine up to go to bookmarks, go back, go forward, and close the current tab. There are dozens of other choices though.
- private browsing option
- full screen browsing, which can be activated/activated with three finger tap
- customizable search engines
- I don't prefer the mobile versions on web pages on the iPad. The screen is big enough that I want the desktop versions. Atomic allows you to set the browser to identify itself as a mobile or desktop browser.
- you can customize just about every feature/setting in the browser

The developer has another thread going, and he seems responsive to just about every positive suggestion that the users are making.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/895063/

Best $1 I've spent so far in the app store.
It is nice, for sure. Too bad it can't be set as the default browser (at least not if your iPad isn't jailbroken).

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Advil said:
i'm starting to think all this Atomic propaganda is the Devs hiring people to advertise :p

I bought it today and I'm fairly happy with it. I think a few UI issues need to be addressed but I love the concept of it. I'm loving adblock and starting to get used to gestures.

Just wait till you get so used to the swiping gestures that you try to use it in other apps. That's what happened to me, I constantly try to swipe in the App Store out of habit now.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yes I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE Atomic browser. Its worth it people. I love how I can swipe left to go back, and swipe right to go forward a page. You can also swipe down to move tabs (just customize it in the settings). And the browser holds that previous page in the tab! So there isn't that constant refresh issue that safari has.

Atomic browser tip: make sure to put in the setting, forgot what its called but you can set the browser to open the old page/s when you open the browser.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
Yes, Safari on iPad annoys me!

Thanks for telling us about Atomic. I didn't think to check for alternative browsers on the App Store. Duh.

Atomic is "the bomb."

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
I emailed the maker of Atomic Browser, I asked if he could incorporate xmarks into it, I think he will have a go at it. That would unify all my bookmarks... ipod, ipad, and desktop.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Does anyone know the difference between the free and full versions?

Edit: found it within the free app.

MrFuzz

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
Advil said:

I bought it today and I'm fairly happy with it. I think a few UI issues need to be addressed but I love the concept of it. I'm loving adblock and starting to get used to

Propaganda? Just sharing my enthusiasm about an app that solved the major frustration that I was having with the iPad - Safari's contestant refreshing.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Hm, cool. On a touchscreen device, touch commands should work, and here they do! Love all the options. Lawd, one more app to spend an hour looking over all the settings and options!

However, I wonder how much of all this (touch, not just in a browser) will be fixed/added to 4.1. I bet a lot.

Love the rotate lock just for the one app, though!

PlayHard

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Atomic browser is cool. I lie importing the bookmarks, I just cannot figure out how to move them.

Do you mean move them after importing? You just click the Edit button and then select it. It'll bring up another screen and at the bottom where it says "Location" just click the icon and you can pick it's new location. I imported mine and then wanted to move it around and it worked perfectly.

I love this browser. I hate the way that Safari does the eye candy move to switch "tabs" and then you have to wait for it to reload. Also I like the ad-block on Atomic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.