Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Th dumbest idea in this thread. Of course it'll work, but you're ****ing buying a whole Internet service just for Skype. It's better to be SMART and find a workaround, which there is.

the ideas about jailbreaking are the dumb ideas, the mifi was a decent idea, cos he's talking about getting an iPod touch, NOT an iPhone....

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
If you want voice calls you could get her to get a SIM with unlimited incoming minutes and then you use skype to call that number.

yeah only america actually charges you for recieving calls and texts :confused:

OP have you tried calling over windows live messenger? may work may not
universities block skype because it uses peer 2 peer you could always try a skype client that doesnt use the peer to peer bit like on some mobile clients,
or you can always set up skype so you have a french landline number so it would come out of her inclusive mins to call you and you can call mobiles for cheap on skype, but that's not free like you want

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Th dumbest idea in this thread. Of course it'll work, but you're ****ing buying a whole Internet service just for Skype. It's better to be SMART and find a workaround, which there is.

I guess the dumb one in this thread is you... If her internet at her dorm is so limited then that limits the real use of all her electronic devices that use the internet not just skype... tell us your 'workaround' that is so smart then? using a US proxy like you stated in post#2? please, free US proxy's won't work and paying for one would be the real stupid idea and at the end most likely it won't work due to the IT department; also, who knows the upload limits of her dorm's connection since it's really highly controlled (most likely really low to do any video chat or anything else). Or maybe your other "smart' post (#10) "Tell her to get iTether. Done." What good would iTether do for her w/ no iPhone to connect to it and send the bluetooth signal and she would have to also buy the iPod (have to jb it to download iTether and not possible right now)....Dumb Bandolier.

You don't know the level of tech skills of the person to simple say it's the dumbest idea just because your 'smart' ideas are the ones truly stupid.... They want an easy way to fix this and a MiFi could be what she needs for everything internet related, she can carry it w/ her wherever she needed a connection for ALL her internet needs and works out of the box and is simple to use.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Have her trade favors with a young frenchmen for access to their wifi/internet to talk to you.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I'm also surprised that, if the dorm's bandwidth is really that limited, no one's mentioned that the IT department is likely keeping tabs on all of the users' bandwidth usages. Anyone whose utilization got too high (due to voice, for example) would likely face the ban hammer. If the IT department is competent, it doesn't really matter what software or proxy solution is used; the bandwidth spike will be detected, and the IT police will then have a chat with the snowflake. :eek: If that's really the case, then something like the mifi might be a better solution (however -- and I don't know -- does the cost of a mifi + usage make this a viable solution??)

koa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Well thanks again for the responses, it does look like the only way will be a mifi devise through a French carrier, but I think that will not be worth the money for the 3-4 months she is there. We'll do the online chat from her dorm and occasional skype from a McD's or other wifi spot.

marksman, I hope you have an opportunity to make a similar comment to a girl's father in person one day.;)

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Well thanks again for the responses, it does look like the only way will be a mifi devise through a French carrier, but I think that will not be worth the money for the 3-4 months she is there. We'll do the online chat from her dorm and occasional skype from a McD's or other wifi spot.

marksman, I hope you have an opportunity to make a similar comment to a girl's father in person one day.;)

The beauty of MiFi is that she could share the service with others and maybe share some of the cost.

And I don't have a daughter just a son but seriously!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.