If someone had access to your mac, can they view activity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AceC, Oct 29, 2016.

1. AceC macrumors member

If someone had access to your mac, is it possible for them to install any type of spyware without you knowing?

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

If someone has access into your Mac, they can do whatever the hell they wish to do. They can also install whatever kind of malware they want if that's their desire (provided they have enough computer knowledge to do so).

The best way to prevent this is to not be stupid and 1) put in a fairly secure password 2) don't spoil the password in the password hint thing 3) recommended, enable FileVault so that nobody can get to your data unless the password is known.

And obviously, don't be stupid and don't leave your computer in a public place alone for someone to infect I mean steal.

3. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Assuming the access is as administrator. As user you're limited to user-only stuff.

4. AceC thread starter macrumors member

If by chance someone did install malware, how would you know?

I only left it unattended for a short while (in a safe place) at school; I was just worried that somebody could have messed with it or installed something like that, but it's unlikely..

5. killawat macrumors 65816

parse through your console logs for the duration while you were gone, look for any suspicious logins or requests for elevated privileges. If not, your fine.

6. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

It's good practice that your user account is not an administrator.

A good idea would be to have two accounts:
    Admin = admin
    AceC = user

If you need to do admin related stuff MacOS will prompt you to authenticate, or you can login as the admin. But if somehow someone gets access to your AceC account they won't be able to do much since they'll need to do an admin authentication to install their malware. Even better, of course, don't leave your laptop kicking around so people can access it.

7. jerryk macrumors 68030

If by access your mac you mean you gave them your username and password, sure they can. You allowed them to operate as you. They can install applications or scripts as easy as you can.

If by access to your mac you mean you created them their own account, then that is a function of whether you made that account an admin account of not. If their account is not an admin they are restricted to only resource they use.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Download and run Malwarebytes for Mac that will detect & clean any malware. I wouldn't dwell on it as an individual would also need your account password to install an application on OS X. Personally I also set my display to lock after a short period of time, just in the off chance I do have to leave the notebook unattended.

Q-6

9. AceC thread starter macrumors member

So, without the password, there is no way someone could have installed anything?

Also, wouldn't there be traces of said application if such existed?

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Far As I am aware no, try it for yourself DL a benign App from a known dev and install it, OS X will requite system admin password, thats how OS X works. Malwarebytes will also fish out any malware.

As for traces look at the console specifically for the time period your system was venerable, equally you need to be able to interpret the information. Sounds to me, that some one is messing with you, often it`s just mind power and the weapon is dry....

Q-6