If someone steals my mac, can he access my Keychain ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Angelo95210, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Hi all

I know that you can reset easily the admin password with a Mac OS cdrom. So does it mean Keychain can be accessed as well ?

How to prevent that ? (and not using FileVault)

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I'm a real novice when it comes to Keychain, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But, I've opened it to look around, and have not seen passwords revealed. However, I believe that if someone can log in, they will also have access to websites where you have had to log in and have passwords saved by Keychain. Further, if you can log in, you can open Keychain and find out what websites you will have automatic login access to.

3. JavierP macrumors regular

Keychain can be set to use a different password from the login one, and it can be "closed". When setup this way, whenever a program needs to use the keychain it will ask for the keychain password.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just another note, if someone resets your password with an install disk, the Keychain password is not changed, and then none of your passwords will be used or accessible without that original password. There is no way to reset a forgotten Keychain password.

jW

5. JAT macrumors 603

Passwords saved in Keychain can be revealed. But you need the Keychain master password. That's what the OP's question is about.

I actually just used this Sat with a family member to retrieve a forgotten password.