If SONY got hacked how can I know my MBP is safe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zipur, Dec 18, 2014.

1. zipur macrumors 6502

I'm using Bitdefender but I'm worried that I'm still may be at risk. I bounce all over the net mostly for news, shopping, youtube and some movies on DirectTV. That is where my concern is since I am clicking all kinds of links. And of course once you go to a news site there are other links with interesting stories. I use Chome mostly since from time to time my Safari locks up until a reboot. I use a rMBP 2012 on Yosemite.

I know that historically IOS was safe compared to Windows. But this is 2014 so things have changed and updated. Can one of you super savvy IOS users advise me how I can check my PC.

Thanks in advance and please no flaming this should be a concern of everyone in the shadow of the Sony's Hack.

Thanks in Advance.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

True everyone is at risk technically, but what do you have to offer? I mean if a hacker wants something they'll be going after deeper pockets.

Its a risk vs. reward thing, for the most part as long as you sit behind a router you'll be ok. Could a hacker get through, yes, but will it be worth the effort? Probably not. That's my take on it.

3. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

Good lord, stop being paranoid and enjoy the internet.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

How many employees do you have, who can be social engineered out of their credentials?
    How many open ports do you have, offering web services to customers?

5. chabig macrumors 68040

I will bet you $100 that Sony systems weren't running on MacBook Pros. They were probably using Windows.

6. Mildredop macrumors 68020

This is how I feel. I'm assuming people could get their hands on my data if they really wanted to, but what on earth are they going to do with it? My computer is filled with rubbish that I'm sure doesn't interest anyone else.

My money is another thing, but that's why it's in a bank. So long as a take reasonable steps and don't actively pass on my login details, any losses are covered by my bank.

7. dyt1983, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

8. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

Anyone hacks me my data will kill them

..through boredom :)

9. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I don't think Kim Jong is interested in hacking you OP. :)

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

There's only one way to ensure safety. Disconnect it from the internet and turn it off.

11. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

If SONY got hacked how can I know my MBP is safe?

Truly, you cannot _ :confused:

Now, Take a Deep Breath, and Go On Living!!

:D

12. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Are you handing out you ID/password? If not, you can rest a little easier.

13. Itzamna macrumors regular

What interest might a hacker group have in you? Next to none. :)

Be careful were you enter your credit card information... Other than that, just enjoy the web and don't be paranoid... No one cares about the random guy. :)

14. zipur thread starter macrumors 6502

Well thanks to all of you for your helpful comments

I guess this topic has run its course.

15. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

SONY are notorious for lax security! They wee hacked just a couple of years ago - Twice, and lost millions of Playstation owners' details, so by all accounts you shouldn't take SONY as an example of good basic internet security.

16. yjchua95 macrumors 604

People using Macs and other Apple devices in Sony were unaffected.

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/18/sony-hack/ and http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/17/so...-now-working-in-an-office-from-ten-years-ago/

17. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

Sony keeps passwords in folders called "Passwords". I think its safe to say by default Sony never had security to begin with. Look at how many times Sony's PS network has been hacked. It's a yearly thing for Sony, getting hacked.

18. 2IS, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014

2IS macrumors 68030

Chances are, you aren't important enough for anyone to care about... This isn't an insult, most of us, myself included fall into this category.

19. Mikael H macrumors 6502

Almost all attack attempts on your computer will be attempts to fool you as a user, not attacks on your operating system.

To avoid getting fooled:
    - Learn to recognize obvious click-bait. Learn what a Trojan horse is.

- Learn when your system requires your password for elevated access. Learn not to type it in unless you believe you have an idea about what the program you just clicked will try to do.

To keep your system safe:
    - Password protect your account. (This should be the first thing anyone does anyway).

- Make sure your operating system's firewall is active.
    There are more advanced dedicated firewall programs out there, but you're unlikely to need them on your day-to-day computer.

- Don't use the same passwords on different sites. This'll become very hard in a while unless you use a password manager. The one built into OS X is probably good enough, but if you're really paranoid, get something that isn't intertwined with the OS, like KeyPassX.

- Don't run unnecessary server services on computers that are meant for normal user interaction. If you really need a server, get a server, and secure it. There's an abundance of info on how to do this.
    Key point: You should only open up your system for the services you actually use. If you never access your computer remotely, then for the love of Glod, don't activate remote access features on it.

20. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Go over to this thread and you will find a fairly balanced discussion for and against AntiVirus & Malware detection applications on OS X. In all likelihood your system is safe equally it`s prudent to be smart about computer security, as people do suffer identity theft and it does happen.

Personally I run security applications, mainly as I work in a mixed environment and do not want to propagate Windows orientated malware. There is also a lot go guidance for "safe computing" equally some do need the extra layer of security some applications bring.

Q-6

21. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

My biggest concern is something being installed in china at foxconn factory. I'm really surprised this has not happened.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You would think after their PS network got hacked a few years ago, they'd learn their lesson but evidently not. Even so, there seemed to be some inside help regarding this hacking - at least that's what some of the news reports I've read postulated.

23. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I live in China, and that`s the least of my concerns, Foxconn manufacture for Apple as they do for many. They install the software image provided by the client, if there are any "backdoors" etc. only Apple knows and unless your building WMD`s in your basement I seriously doubt you have any concerns :)

Q-6

24. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

If I were not concerned I never would have stated it. Your living in china makes no difference when they hack your phone as soon as you enter their country we built for them.

25. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

who is we and how did we manage to build China? :confused: