Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
It's kind of funny how since the Apple-Beats deal was announced, everybody has an opinion of how the headphones sound. Sales must be phenomenal!

How do you count the number of people who aren't commenting on Beats headphones.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
It's kind of funny how since the Apple-Beats deal was announced, everybody has an opinion of how the headphones sound. Sales must be phenomenal!

All you have to do is read multiple reviews on big name websites. The NY Times also said they cost as little as $14 to make and sell for as much as $450.

There are many, many brands of good headphone makers who make cans much better at lower prices. Grado is one. Even Sony and Sennheiser make some really good higher priced cans.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Mediocre or not Beats headphones has 40% of all US headphone sales and close to 70 per cent of premium priced headphones.

I don't recall a time before Beats where people walked around with big headphones on their heads or around their necks.

This company made an impact.

I agree, which is why I am more interested in seeing what happens with the purchase.

Skaters did 20 years ago. Like a lot of trends, skaters where first.

Beat me to it. Add to that just about anyone in the urban scene. Earbuds weren't a think back then and 20 years ago isn't even that long that's only 1996. Big headphones popped right up after the enormous boom box thing phased out in the 80's.

setite

macrumors regular
May 29, 2014
TLDR, Apple is buying street cred, plain and simple. At least they didn't buy something from one of the current generation of metal grill rappers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.