If the 3g iPad had been released first...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NotTempted, Apr 13, 2010.

1. NotTempted macrumors member

As I wait for the 3g and I see people report Blazing speeds while their iPads are connected to DSL and Cable modem LAN's and hot spots I cant help but start to wonder if the 3g iPad is going to have the same speed using a 3g connection. I take my iPhone 3g out in the wild and get stuttery reception sometimes even when I have a full "3g" signal. Is the iPad going to have the same 3g reception as my iPhone 3g? If the 3g iPad was released first and it was found to have the same spotty 3g connection as some have reported on their iPhones, would it have made such a gracious impression?
    The thing flies but on 3g?

2. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

People should have realistic expectations about 3G. It's not going to be like your home broadband.

3. jedolley macrumors 68000

Agreed. 3G is more for mobility, than speed.

4. NotTempted thread starter macrumors member

Would it be realistic to assume that the radio in the iPad would have more horse power? And what of the original question? Do you think the iPad would be padding water about this time had it been a 3g only intro?

5. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I agree.

Would be nice but the speed won't be like home.
    It's all about the mobility for me. That's why I'm getting 3G!

6. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

I cringe when I have to use iPhone 3G, I can't imagine paying extra plus a monthy expense to experience the same pain on the iPad. Wifi is too abundant everywhere (here in southern California) for me to even contemplate getting 3G.

7. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I did a comparison one time when I was at Starbucks and I got about 4Mbps on their wifi versus about 1.7Mbps on my 3G network.

8. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I fail to see your logic. The 3G version still has the same wifi option so why would the impression be worse? The 3G option is for times when you don't have wifi, so why would a version with more options make a worse impression?

And yes, you should expect the 3G reception to be very similar to that of the iPhone.

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Remember the iPhone now has 3GS 7.2Mbps while the iPad is just 3G. The iPad 3GS won't be out till next year. :D

10. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I don't think so. The 3G speed is the speed of the network. Don't get your hopes up.

11. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I hope you are kidding.

Based on ITU standards for 3G, there is not standard data rate. Carriers have "marketed" a data rate (like 7.2 Mbps), but a minimum data rate of 2 Mbit/s for stationary or walking users, and 384 kbit/s in a moving vehicle is what is written in the ITU documentation.

12. NotTempted thread starter macrumors member

Not the worst impression just not glowing as it currently is. My iPhone has Wifi as well and it still has juttery reception when I am within range of my home LAN meaning that it is alternating between the two and I will have to go in and deactivate the 3g radio to get direct LAN or some such rigmarole :rolleyes:

13. vw195 macrumors 6502

My iPad is very snappy through sprint 3G and supposedly AT&T should be faster

14. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I find that very hard to believe since:

1) The 3G iPad has not been released yet

and

2) SPRINT is CDMA and the iPad is GSM

15. stringbeanie macrumors 6502

When they get Opera Mini on the iPad, 3G should be quite fast. I can't even believe how is has changed web browsing on my 3g phone.:eek::D

16. vw195 macrumors 6502

Both of your points are dead on, however I am using my HTC Touch Pro 2 to serve up its 3G signal via WMWiFiRouter to my non 3G iPad. Surely it is a decent enough indication of 3G speed

17. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I kind of wish apple just made the ipad with 3g so I wouldnt see the price difference and all ipads had GPS. I mean I'm going to be buying a wifi model just because theres no way im paying twice for AT&T's spotty coverage but it would be nice if all the models had GPS.

18. NotTempted thread starter macrumors member

Yea I was wondering if it was a 3g manufacturing delay or weather we might be giving att more time to get their geese in a row as well but I defer then back to the theory that the best first impression for Apple here would be a WiFi iPad. Especially when I can see the towers balking at the data increase. Unless they can find some way to integrate that cisco super router lol.

Oh I'm going Dumb phone. That is if I can find one that has email support. lol I know you don't have to tell me. 3g for me is a case of favoring having and not needing then needing and not having. I don't want spend and hour driving all over a neighborhood to find a wifi signal and even then to hope that it is not pw protected. Had that headache with the msiwind and that was no fun.

19. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

lol way to completely miss the point of his post haha.

20. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Everybody would be complaining about the 3G service

21. jedolley macrumors 68000

Um, this is wrong. 7.2Mbps is ATT's upgraded 3G network (HSDPA) and iPad's 3G version supports this. The problem is that this has not been rolled out in many markets (if at all). If or once you are in a market that has the upgraded HSDPA 7.2Mbps then your iPad 3G (the one coming out this month or next) will work and could obtain up to 7.2Mbps (key words being "up to").

22. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

That Cisco router only helps in the core network. "Last Mile" connectivity will always be the bottle neck in any network connection/service.

7.2 is really just a marketing thing. As I mentioned previously, read the ITU specs on 3G and you will see that it was written only for minimum connections and not max or sustained speeds.

BTW, we'll see more deployments of AT&T's 3G service and 4G service (LTE) in the next year and a half.

23. jedolley macrumors 68000

I am aware of the ITU info on 3G. I was just addressing the other poster because his post made it sound like the iPad would not benefit from ATT's upgraded 3G network (when/if available).

24. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

I feel like 7.2 is enabled in NY because I regularly get results of 3 mbit/s when I do a speedtest.net on my phone.

25. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

4G LTE service on AT&T is due for the last quarter of 2012 and 2013 deployment with all markets by midyear 2014. 4G is a ways off.

Not to mention that 4G is not nearly the bump over 3G that 3G was over 2G EDGE, so while many people are waiting for it, "it" may not be that worth waiting for.