If the BTO pricing is correct how has your order changed?

How has your order changed if the BTO information is accurate?

  • I'll upgrade graphics (D300-D500-D700)

    Votes: 15 68.2%
  • I'll upgrade CPU (hex, octo, 12)

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I'll upgrade RAM

    Votes: 13 59.1%
  • I'll upgrade Flash

    Votes: 9 40.9%

  • Total voters
    22

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
824
1
Curious if your order has changed given the BTO information, assuming its accurate.

For me the D700's are now in reach. I'm getting ...

  • $3,999 Base - Hex core, 16 GB, 256GB, D500
  • +D700 BTO
  • +32GB RAM (probably)
 

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
6,304
115
Vancouver, BC
I was always going to upgrade the flash and I was going to buy 32GB of RAM from SuperBiiz.

Last week, you basically got me thinking about the CPU upgrade which I then convinced myself would be a good investment.

This week, the pricing on the D700s looks very attractive, but I simply don't think I can fully leverage the D300s so I'm standing put for now. The RAM upgrade is in the same ballpark as SuperBiiz so I'll just buy it from Apple.

But they better open up ordering for these things soon, or who knows what I'll end up with! :( :eek: :D

EDIT: The only things unattractive about the pricing of the nMP are perhaps the base cost, and the 8/12-core CPU's and the latter are Intel's fault more than anything.
 

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
339
161
I was always going to upgrade the flash and I was going to buy 32GB of RAM from SuperBiiz.

Last week, you basically got me thinking about the CPU upgrade which I then convinced myself would be a good investment.

This week, the pricing on the D700s looks very attractive, but I simply don't think I can fully leverage the D300s so I'm standing put for now. The RAM upgrade is in the same ballpark as SuperBiiz so I'll just buy it from Apple.

But they better open up ordering for these things soon, or who knows what I'll end up with! :( :eek: :D

EDIT: The only things unattractive about the pricing of the nMP are perhaps the base cost, and the 8/12-core CPU's and the latter are Intel's fault more than anything.
I'm in the same boat as you. I was also surprised at how affordable the GPU upgrade was, even the flash upgrade wasn't that bad but the CPU upgrades are a bit over the top. $1500 for the 8-core is a lot but $3000 for the 12-core is just a-tad crazy.

Now that I see the pricing and am worried about the delays, especially when it concerns the BTO macs, I'm afraid that the ship date may be something crazy? So now I am considering the old hi-end 12-core.
 

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
824
1
The RAM upgrade is in the same ballpark as SuperBiiz so I'll just buy it from Apple.
Good point. Didn't know about them, but checking the price it's about $150/16GB stick which is the going price. So yeah buying Apple RAM as an upgrade makes sense here.

But they better open up ordering for these things soon, or who knows what I'll end up with! :( :eek: :D
lol, poor guy. I'm set, as long as these prices are reasonably accurate

EDIT: The only things unattractive about the pricing of the nMP are perhaps the base cost, and the 8/12-core CPU's and the latter are Intel's fault more than anything.
Their strategy seems to be it's a steep cost to get into the nMP club, but once you're there they go easy on you to upgrade. Not unlike their repair strategy. Macs cost more, but getting them fixed is cheap from Apple.
 

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
339
161
Now that I see the pricing and am worried about the delays, especially when it concerns the BTO macs, I'm afraid that the ship date may be something crazy? So now I am considering the old hi-end 12-core.

So I guess my fear of the BTO ship dates has become a reality:(
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.