iPad If the camera is so important...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jony Ive, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Jony Ive macrumors member

Why didn't Apple put a flash in the iPad Air 2?

I don't understand.

I bet whatever you want that Apple includes an LED flash to the iPad Air 3 next year.

2. Davidish macrumors member

I agree. iPad photography might look silly but if they're advertising camera features as a selling point they should have put in a flash. Besides, the flash is useful to use as a flashlight. The additional cost of adding it is probably minimal as well. We'll probably see it next year. #

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The camera upgrade was really not that important, it is likely they did not have alot to report so any improvement to the Air was reported.

Never needed a flash for my iPad as I do not use the rear camera. Front camera is well used for Facetime.

4. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

For some reason I just can't bring myself to take many pictures with my iPad, it just feels awkward :confused:

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Me too! It does provide the largest viewfinder on any camera I have ever owned!

6. Jony Ive thread starter macrumors member

In the keynote Apple said that what consumers love the most when using the iPad is to take pictures , and because of that, it was important for them to upgrade the camera.

And that's why I don't understand the exclusion of an LED flash

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Agree.

It's so blindingly obvious, no matter what quality the camera is, even if it was just 1 megapixel, there should be a flash, it's simply something that should be with EVERY camera lens on any device.

The new Nexus 9 has a flash now, and I'd expect the iPad will finally get one, either on the iPad Air 3 or the Air 4.

Given the size of the iPad, and the Battery compared to the iPhone, and the tiny cost of adding a flash, really there is no excuse.

Even if I never used it, I still think it should be there for those who do, of perhaps the one time "I" really needed it.

8. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I like using the camera on the iPad. It is great to use to document small objects and parts or simple scenes. It is convenient to have the picture available immediately for use in a keynote or email.

I rarely use the flash on my iPhone. I find flash photography difficult even with a DSLR. Better to use good lighting with reflectors and diffusers. In a pinch you can cobble something together with printer paper. Photo paper is nice and bright.

Cortex Cam is a great app for taking pictures in low light. It averages together 100 or so images to produce a low noise image. Then you can manipulate brightness and contrast as needed.

9. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Is the iPad air 2 camera now the same as the iPhone 5S?

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is called advertising.

I doubt the most favorite thing done with an iPad is to take pictures. :p

You really need to filter stuff like this out, kinda like our liar president. :eek:

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

As impossible it is to believe, maybe they lied. No LED flash, and removal of the Camera Roll in iOS 8 (later restored in 8.1) seems to be at odds with their statement.

13. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

People like taking pictures with their iPad. Didn't say anything about people liking trying to find them on their device once they'd taken them :)

14. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

ok, y'got me on that one. :D

15. Davidish macrumors member

I think it's inferior to the 5s camera. Going off memory, I think the 5s had a f/2.2 and the iPad Air 2 has f/2.4. I also require the individual pixels on the 5s sensor being slightly larger but not too sure on that one.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

My Canon PowerShot SX50 HS is very important than iPad Air! It has everything iPad camera can't. So I can use video as spycam. :apple: