Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
These stories of iPads being passed to family members really put a smile on my face...If you're like me, you have a ton of obsolete tech equipment lying around (ie I have 3 2008-vintage Toshiba laptops which haven't seen the light of day in ages) collecting dust, it's nice to know our iPads will have a "second life."

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
My iPad 2 went to my mum and dad.

They both got 4S's a few months ago, and I gave my dad one of my two Sky Go log-ins... and he spends hours watching sport on that tiny little screen...

My mum on the other hand uses her phone to watch iPlayer and ITV Player...to read books to do sudokus...

So now they can do all that stuff without straining their eyes on tiny little screens.

Only problem is, they're definitely going to end up fighting over the iPad... haha..

Built

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
My iPad 3 was financed mostly through Best Buy gift cards and Reward Zone certificates.

I traded in my 2007 White Macbook to Best Buy last summer and they gave me a $484 gift card.

When I purchased my Macbook Air last summer, I received a $100 gift card as part of the Back to School promotion...

and...I had 155 bucks in Reward Zone certificates...so the 64GB ATT iPad 3 only cost me like $150.

I have a Macbook Pro (2010) which I will probably sell or trade in before the iPad 4 comes out...

Apple products hold their value. :)

MSampson

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
My kids are sharing/fighting over my iPad 1. They already use my original iPhone and iPhone 3GS as iPod touches.

aggieastrosfan

macrumors member
May 28, 2011
When I bought my first iPhone, my then 5 year old inherited my 64 gb 4th gen Touch. Knowing I couldn't be without my iPad for a day, let alone a couple of weeks, I gave my now 6 year old the choice of keeping the iPod, or taking the 16gb iPad and giving me the iPod back to sell. I figured they would get the same resale value anyway, so it didn't matter to me. Well, of course he chose the iPad, so he's happily playing on "his" iPad now, and I need to get to restoring the iPod - which, sure enough, is getting about the same price as a 16gb iPad 2 right now.

My iPad had really been a family iPad - I mainly used it at work, I barely used it at home with the hubby and kiddo using it. Now hubby's considering getting the 32 wifi only for himself. If he gets his own iPad after all the you-know-what he talked when I bought the 2 in August and woke up at 4:30 yesterday morning to get this one...well, let's just say he won't hear the end if it for a while! ;)

clyde2801

macrumors 601
2nd wife and 16 year old daughter are angling for the iPad2, wife already has the v1, but honestly, all she does it freakin' play games on it...she hasn't even figured out how to make folders on it!

Was going to put the daughter to work when she arrives this summer and have her pay off the iPad2 either at home or around my office.

Both act like they're too good for the v1, which, I have to admit kind of irks me a bit. I kind of feel like that Seinfeld episode where George can't get rid of a really nice cashmere sweater with a single almost imperceptible spot on it!

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'll give my original iPad to my sister for her birthday next month, and keep the new one for myself. I gave my 3GS to my mum for Christmas shortly after I bought a 4s for myself. When I bought my first Mac a couple of years ago, I gave my old Dell to my sister.

Apple is getting rich off me, and my family are getting lots of free technology!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.