If the iPad didn't exist, which other tablet would you go for?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Boob, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Boob, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

Boob macrumors member

Assuming you wanted another tablet

For me, it would be either the Surface, Nexus 7 or Note 10.1.

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Those tablets would not exist in their current form if the iPad didn't exist.

3. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

I can't talk about surface/winRT because I haven't tested it, but from my experience, I'm never buying an android tablet (and probably smartphone) again.
    They are bad iPad replicas. Really bad.

4. Boob thread starter macrumors member

Obviously but that's not the point. Just want to know what ppl would consider if they weren't offered.

5. dchao macrumors 6502a

But it's the same as asking what you would look like if your parents don't exit. There is no answer!

6. Boob thread starter macrumors member

I think the Nexus 7 and Note 10.1 are on par with the iPad. Still prefer my iPad tho.

The Note 2 also looks like a beast of a phone. Would definitely consider it if I weren't happy with my iPhone.

7. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Nexus 7 would be my choice from the reviews only.

8. irDigital0l Guest

Nexus 7...maybe. Surface also looks pretty good...bet its gonna be expensive though.

I probably wouldn't even own a tablet. lol

9. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

I don't remember ever having seen another tablet, aside from kindles. Does an iPhone count?! :p

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

And according to Jobs' biography, the iPad wouldn't exist except for a Microsoft employee who annoyed him with talk about MS tablets at a birthday party.

How far back do we take this ? I mean, sooner or later, we'll have to account for Biff Tannen and his part in all these cause-and-effect time situations.

11. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

But Apple were first to launch a proper tablet, the others are all mimics. As usual, why didn't Microsoft come up with something

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

And if that Microsoft employee hadn't annoyed Jobs, we might still be saddled with those "tablet" notebooks with fold-away keyboards and rudimentary touch-screen support that needs a stylus to operate. *shudder*

God bless the annoying Microsoft employee! I wish I knew his name and address so I could send him flowers! :D

13. Bokes macrumors 6502

The Nook HD looks like it will be the best ereader out there besides the iPad mini. IMO- tablets are really only good for reading (and games i guess if you're into that sort of thing)
    If Apple wasn't coming out with a mini I would be selling my ipad3 for the 7 inch NookHD.
    (And the nook can be rooted.)
    That said,
    If the Apple mini is priced right- i'll go with it.
    I'm already invested in ecosystem and I prefer the ibook app vs the others.

GL

14. Scale70 macrumors newbie

Scale70

15. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

Without the iPad, it would probably be a combination of a Kindle (for reading) and either a cheap netbook (a few years ago) or a small Air for a computer that I can easily carry.

16. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Not true if you're adopted. :D

But in response to the question, I'd say my MacBook Air and iPhone... no tablet.

17. Rodster macrumors 68040

What I currently have right now. I'm good with the original Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Kindle Fire HD because it gives me seamless access to my free Amazon Prime content. :)

Nexus 7 would be a definite vote but the shoddy build quality and engineering was a turn off.

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I might go for a Galaxy Nexus 7 since I played with one for a weekend and thought it was okay. Plus I'd probably give the Kindle Fire a try too.

19. Bilalo macrumors 6502

New windows 8 tablet beats everything else, just a bit complicated

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

21. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch version. I won a 7 inch & must say it's pretty impressive.

22. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

If the iPad never existed, I probably would not have purchased a tablet.

23. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

24. Kroner macrumors regular

Kroner

Well I already did choose another tablet, the Galaxy tab, the 1st one that is. Although it basically really was just a big 7" phone. The experience wasn't exactly that good. There were only a few apps taking advantage of the extra screen from samsung, and we never got honeycomb.

I did buy myself an iPad 3 some months ago, and my 1st tablet is now mostly an alarm clock and sometimes an e-reader.

Although if I had to choose one of the newer tablets, it would either be the surface or the note. In the end I would probably go for the GNote. The reason being the price, and that I feel like I would need to replace my MBA with a laptop/tablet hybrid with windows 8 if I were to go the W8 route.

25. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I would go for either the Surface (more likely) or the Note 10.1 (not as likely). In fact, I may even replace my iPad with the Surface if I like it enough. But I'll have to wait until after release and test it myself.