Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Multi-tasking! 12.9" is starting to become genuine laptop territory, and I couldn't see myself wanting one if I was still reserved to using a single app on a relatively ginormous display. For that reason I feel like the Plus/Pro may not launch till iOS 9 potentially brings multi-tasking to the 6 Plus and the new 12.9" iPad.

LFCYNWA

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I agree but apple have been known to push out things that aren't ready like my ipad 3 :(

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I don't get the multi-tasking argument. I have it on my Samsung Pro 8.4 and can honestly say I've never been compelled to use it outside the novelty. I guess as a consumption user, not work based, it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm happy with the size of my Air so a 12.9" Air isn't appealing to me either. Of course, I'll wait til it is even announced before just brushing it off as useless.

miketheappleguy

macrumors regular
May 18, 2014
I don't get the multi-tasking argument. I have it on my Samsung Pro 8.4 and can honestly say I've never been compelled to use it outside the novelty. I guess as a consumption user, not work based, it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm happy with the size of my Air so a 12.9" Air isn't appealing to me either. Of course, I'll wait til it is even announced before just brushing it off as useless.

Multitasking and styllus support please. Lets actually take advantage of such a large screen

----------

You mean splitting an 8.4 inch screen isn't very appealing?:eek: Who woulda figured.

TigerMSTR

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014

You mean splitting an 8.4 inch screen isn't very appealing?:eek: Who woulda figured.

Split screen on a 12"+ tablet would be very appealing. For example, I could have an education video docked on the side of the tablet while taking notes with a stylus. Or I could have questions from a book on the side while I write down the answers.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Split screen on the 9.7" would be appealing for some. Not for regular usages of course, but it would definitely boost my iPad work usage if I could have a web page or PDF open on one half of the screen while I type with an app on the other. I wouldn't routinely use it, but it is nice.

----------

Also, I fear that with the way iOS works, Apple would would boost the Pro to a none iOS ready resolution and use their "desktop scaler" that is used in the Plus. That would result in some bad UI lag/stutter on such a large scale. I know when (if) I updated my iPad 3, I'm getting the fastest model available with no scaling. I'm so freakin' tired of everything being so slow.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I don't mind missing out on split screen multitasking. I just really want the iPad pro!

I really hope you get what you want. But I am curious as to why your desire is so strong for a larger iPad.

It seems to me that a touchscreen iPad Air would be far more useful than a 12.9" iPad.

I need to caveat what I'm saying. It's possible that I may change my opinion once I see a 12.9" and have a chance to try it. I must admit that I am slowly coming around to the usefulness of a phablet-sized smartphone.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I really hope you get what you want. But I am curious as to why your desire is so strong for a larger iPad.

It seems to me that a touchscreen iPad Air would be far more useful than a 12.9" iPad.

I need to caveat what I'm saying. It's possible that I may change my opinion once I see a 12.9" and have a chance to try it. I must admit that I am slowly coming around to the usefulness of a phablet-sized smartphone.

I could see myself being alot more productive with an iPad if it's 12.9". I don't think I could do any serious work on my Mini or even an Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.