If the Iphone 4 is that bad...What do you recommend

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tony Montana, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Tony Montana macrumors newbie

Tony Montana

I've never owned an IPhone, but do own an IPod Touch and really like its abilities as a media player. I was very interested in getting an IPhone 4 so my phone and media player are in one device. With all of the complaints... Bad antenna design, not as tough as expected glass screen, not really true multi-tasking, Apples refusal to integrate flash, slow wi-fi performance, etc, etc...

What smart phone do you recommend that has the media capabilities of an IPhone?

2. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Pointless thread.

Some people like iPhone's. Some people like Droid's. And then, there are other phones not worth mentioning. Bye.

3. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

You may not get much of an answer around here. Most of the people here love Apple an want to stick with the iPhone 4, despite what most may see as restrictions.

Yes, there might be some issues with the first release of iPhones, but 90% of the people on this forum have some version of the iPhone.

Yes, I pulled that statistic from absolutely nowhere. :D

4. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I would wait a while as there is bound to be some sort of response from Apple about the major issue (i.e. the reception problem) in the next few days.

6. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Too me I would still recommend the iPhone, the only other phone I would recommend is the palm pre plus, but that hardware is getting pretty old, but the software is the only one that is on the same level as the iPhone, and in some areas actually surpasses it. The iPhone's hardware is great as far as performance with the exception of the antenna issue, while the pre's hardware is a generation back.

7. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Nothing wrong with my iP4.

I'd get one when they come back into stock.

8. naths macrumors 6502

i feel exactly the same.....if this phone didnt have the little logo on the back..nobody would be buying it..i canceled my order and am going down the android route and then see what the iphone 5 brings.....im in the UK so im going for the HTC desire absoloutly great does everything and more and the android OS is truly amazing!!!...the nexus one is also very good..:)

9. cperchard macrumors 6502a

lol what a joke.......i couldn't give a stuff about the logo.....i aint loyal to apple.....i don't own a mac or anything......i just love iphones.....the product is amazing....and despite the euphoria around here.......the iphone 4 is amazing!!

10. darkmeton macrumors member

It's all about how fast and easy you want to get the job done. Whether that job is sending an email, posting a video to youtube, etc etc. iPhone is great for it's software. Easy to learn and use. So it's actually what YOU want from a phone. If you want good reception and battery life, go with a NOKIA. If you want lag and crash every 1 hour, go with a Windows mobile, if you want alternative software that gets the job done with a bit more complexity, go with an Android. If you want your money, keep your old phone!

11. carebearsx3 macrumors regular

Well said, mate.

To me, I'd go for the iPhone, simply because of your media needs. No other phone has the media capabilities as the iPhone.

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

two of my neighbors and a friend of mine got the iP4 on thursday (i'm waiting for the white version) and today I asked them (at separate times) what their opinion was on the cell reception issue, they all had the same response, "What issue?"

they are aware of what is being said on the internet, but as of now they can not replicate the issue and have not had any dropped calls, and even as they let me hold their phones, neither can I.

I agree (from what I've seen) that their seems to be no issue and this story just got blown way out of proportionate, as soon as the white iP4 is in stock, I'm buying.

13. naths macrumors 6502

listen mate iv compared the iphone in every way to the HTC and its better in every way...sorry to say it but true....iv got a macbook pro..imac...and have always used apple..great stuff...but this phone is not as good as all the hype...so your telling me that if the iphone 4 was made by say nokia(great phones)they would be seeling as many...not a chance....most people have bought the iphone because its apple..full stop...its like a ferrari with a skoda badge on it they just wouldnt have the quodos.....

14. robotkiller macrumors 6502

robotkiller

Assuming this is not troll bait...

I'm coming from a Droid - the iPhone is far superior. Android is clunky, slow, poorly designed, unreliable and the apps are terrible. I'm using some of the same apps on iPhone that I used on Android and it's a big difference. There is no better phone on the market, IMO.

15. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I hate people with this attitude. Is it really hard to beleive that other people may have different priorities than you?

Honestly, I made fun of the iphone before I got one. Now, I like it so much that honestly, yeah, unless the competing phone has something I really drool after or Apple really f*cks up the iphone, I'll just stick with it. Because I know I like it and have very few qualms (shoot, they fixed hte qualms I had about the 3G. If I hadn't been able ot get a 4 though I'd still love my 3G).

I checked out the Incredible which didn't seem too bad and the Evo which wouldn't be an option for me (it's on Sprint, I'd go with the Incredible if the iphone had gone on Sprint. I've never had issues with AT&T, I really was happy when my parents stopped being on Sprint and I could suddenly understand them when they called me).

But the Evo is way too big even if it wasn't on Sprint. I don't care about the larger screen, it's a mobile device and portability is more important to me on a mobile device. The camera is slow (some one said you can change settings to improve that so I guess I'd need to see one with the settings changed to be faster). I want a camera that when I take a picture, it takes the picture of what is happening then, not a few seconds later when things change (I am mostly taking pictures of animals and scenary, not people who are posing and will sit still til the camera makes its shot). And on top of that, the EVO actually apparently tested crappier photos and video than the iphone 4 (and crappier video than the 3G). Pixels aren't everything. And the iphone 4 has a very fast shutter (as in it takes the picture when you tell it to). That is very important to me. I have a 5 megapixel camera, 5 megapixels doesn't take bad photos and bigger photo size than I really want anyways so not disappointed at all the iphone "only" has a 5 megapixel camera.

The Incredible didn't seem too bad but nothing stuck out to me to risk going from a carrier I've never had issues with and a phone I already know I like and I know I like how it operates (The OS is real smooth and stable). And hell, iphone 4 made itself even smaller without changing screen size (small size is important to me).

16. Skinfaxi macrumors member

Just because an Apple enthusiast site has members complaining that it's not perfect doesn't mean it's not a wonderful phone. Most of those members are OCD about their gadgets and will find problems with everything they buy. The group with problems is the most vocal group. You won't find many threads on how much the iPhone 4 met or exceeded the customer's expectations, because those hundreds of thousands of people are too busy enjoying the phone :apple:

17. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

I'm actually glad a thread like this exists because it gives other people in a similar situation options.

I picked up the first iphone edge about 6 months after its released and was very happy with it. I then upgraded to the iphone 3gs about a month after that was released and also have been very happy with it.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP, i'm a bit hesitant to upgrade to the iphone 4 after hearing all the issues with it. If it was a software issue, i wouldn't be as concerned.

Most of my fiends that made the switch to an android phone complain about crashes and lack of good apps. But they do love the Android OS and the customization of it. And their app market is still relatively new, time will tell.

I dont drink the Apple Kool Aid, and this recent iphone 4 release will all the issues about reception and the "you are holding it the wrong way" response makes me nauseas.

There are 3 reasons that stop me from jumping ship to Android.
    1 - AT&T doesnt have a huge android selection (yet)- i am happy with ATT in my area and not crazy about Verizons data/voice only, not both at the same time.
    2 - Lack of good apps on the android market (yet)- i cant even view all of them from my computer, like i can on itunes.
    3 - I have way too much money invested in iphone apps to jump ship now.

I guess patience is a virtue. To the OP, if you can wait, give it a few weeks or a month. When done right, Apple products are amazing and easy to use.

The next few weeks will tell if Apple stands behind their product and offer a real fix besides "you are holding it the wrong way".

If you are not satisfied with their resolutions, i believe the Android phones are the next best thing.

18. The Mad Mule macrumors regular

For me, I've been getting near-headaches the past week deciding between the iPhone 4 or Droid X, and the pain probably will continue into next month.

It also doesn't help that my family will be following me onto whatever carrier I decide on. What to do: choose a phone with great app integration but doesn't promote total outside influence, or a phone that supports open-source software but because of that it, is also what keeps it from being as streamlined?

19. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

Spend some time with the iPhone 4 and the screen resolution, especially on the web and apps, makes the screen seem bigger than before. It's truly a killer feature and the iPhone 4 now works as smooth as butter and the new animations are stunning. I haven't seen a Droid x in person, but if you can see any form of jaggy edges in anything on the screen, however close, you'll have made a huge mistake.

20. Mosco macrumors regular

I must live in a pretty high coverage area, because I haven't had issues with my iPhone 4, however if I was going to get another phone, I would get the droid incredible.

Evo is too big and so is the Droid and new Droid X.

I am not a huge fan of the SenseUI, but its still the best android phone.

21. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

I agree, Incredible is the way to go out of the ones you mentioned.
    Only problem is i don't think you can get the Incredible to play on ATTs' network.

22. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I had used a blackberry 8820 for the last couple years. I loved its keyboard, easy to use email, and it was one of earlier smartphones that had built in GPS. But media playback was pointless, it did not have a camera, and internet browsing was painful using the opera browser (bb browser is unusable).

I just got an iPhone 4 last week and I can say hands down it is the best phone I have ever used.

I've tried Android phones (my best friend has a Moto Droid, and a guy I work with has an EVO), and the interface just does not seem as well polished as the iPhone's. Everything from web browsing, menu scrolling, and app loading is just so much more smooth on the iPhone 4.

23. slsl0 macrumors member

I love it! Anyone want my iPhone for free I'm gonna pick up one of these.

But seriously even with the antenna flaw IMO it is the best smartphone on the market

24. idyll macrumors 6502

Both of the iPhone 4s in my family are having the reception issue, so I've been looking at Verizon's and Sprint's offerings. The main thing that bugs me about all of the Android phones is that there is always a new device around the corner, which devalues the resale value of the current one. :(