Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Or maybe that's why there's (possibly) a fingerprint sensor on the back? Not to replace the one on the front, but as a fallback method (other than passkey) if you shatter the screen.

It Very well could happen. Because with the current home button as it is, it has a layer of sapphire over the button to protect it from scratches. So if the new home button is in embedded in the display, what if It gets scratched in that area and How it would be able to recognize your fingerprint through the display? So it is a very strong possibility that Touch ID could be on the back of the new iPhone.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
So it is a very strong possibility that Touch ID could be on the back of the new iPhone.

NO!
Touch id will be integrated into the display Read this Claim!!! :-

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/26/tsmc-iphone-8-touch-id-integrated-display/
---------------------------------------------------------------
Because with the current home button as it is, it has a layer of sapphire over the button to protect it from scratches.
Apple may use a whole Sapphire front Glass for Touch ID and Display.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
NO! Touch id will be integrated into the display Read this Claim!!! :-

LoL. Why are you telling me "No" when I clearly assumed both possibilities? Where did I indicate Touch ID was confirmed on the back of the iPhone?.....I didn't. Because I clearly stated:

So if the new home button is in embedded in the display, what if It gets scratched in that area and How it would be able to recognize your fingerprint through the display? So it is a very strong possibility that Touch ID could be on the back of the iPhone. .

Which means it's a possibility for both options, even if the rumor was true, we don't know that it is true. It's called speculation on a rumored website. Please take the time to Re-read my original Post.

Last edited:

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
LoL. Why are you telling me "No" when I clearly assumed both possibilities? Where did I indicate Touch ID was confirmed on the back of the iPhone?.....I didn't. Because I clearly stated:

Which means it's a possibility for both options, even if the rumor was true, we don't know that it is true. It's called speculation on a rumored website. Please take the time to Re-read my original Post.

People are very sensitive about the TouchID-on-back-of-phone topic. Apparently even mentioning the possibility of it happening freaks some people out lol.

I do share your same concern though regarding the front glass. TouchID is covered by sapphire, so how would that translate to a "regular glass" screen? Even one tiny scratch could potentially screw it up.

Reactions: 44267547
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.