If the iPhone 9 is thicker, will the old cases still work?

Think creative

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
so the rumors about the iPhone 9 are pretty clear about the size dimensions, saying its slightly thicker. Will that mean that the old 7/8 cases for the iPhone won't fit it? I only ask because one of the reasons I've held off getting an 11 is I want a leather case for the phone, and prefer the official ones. Same reason I want a battery case too, hopefully the iPhone 7 battery case will work!

Burebista

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2019
so the rumors about the iPhone 9 are pretty clear about the size dimensions, saying its slightly thicker. Will that mean that the old 7/8 cases for the iPhone won't fit it? I only ask because one of the reasons I've held off getting an 11 is I want a leather case for the phone, and prefer the official ones. Same reason I want a battery case too, hopefully the iPhone 7 battery case will work!
Nothing is written in stone yet. But if the cases for 8 won’t fit they will sure release new ones for “9”, no worries. They’re going to sell this phone from their store for 2,5 years if OG SE is any indication.

Reactions: Think creative

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
If it's not too much thicker, it should squeeze in. Usually it's some garbage with shifting or changing the size of the camera module that muff things up. My Pro Max squeezes into my XS Max case but then a lens is blocked.

Reactions: Think creative