If the iPhone was a car...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Apr 24, 2011.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

what car would it be? I say something like a BMW or Mercedes…it's full featured, fairly luxurious, (but not over the top and lacking features, like a Vertu/Rolls Royce), and not watered down by dozens of other models by the same company.

HTC and Samsung are clearly the Hondas/Toyotas of the phone world. They offer a wide array of models, all with basically the same feature set, and no real luxury appeal…featuring mostly plastic housings with lots of superfluous curves and shiny gaudy bits.

And like Mercedes vs Honda, it all comes down to the engine (iOS vs Android) and after service sales (Genius Bar vs Android Bar). I know what I'd rather be in if I got stuck on the side of the road...

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

...it would be a Smart car.

:)

Cause it's so small!

3. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

you would have to plug it in to a computer to add a radio to the presets

4. nathanschafer macrumors member

It would be a BMW 335i. Powerful, Luxurious, Expensive, Well made and well equipped. However, it doesn't have the most powerful engine.

5. Satori, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

iPhone 1: Beautiful bodywork but only moderate speed. Great stereo system. No headlights and you can't change the battery!
    iPhone 3G: Beautiful redesigned bodywork and pretty speedy unless you are in metropolitan areas of the US. Great stereo system. Still no headlights or user changeable battery!
    iPhone 3GS: Same shell as the previous model but now much faster (unless you live in a city). Great stereo system. SatNav now possible. Still no headlights or user changeable battery!
    iPhone 4: Redesigned sleek bodywork and faster than ever before outside of the city. Great stereo system but the radio doesn't work because of a fault in the aerial design. Headlights at last, but you still can't change the battery. It is now possible to talk to the passenger at the same time as driving (sort of).

6. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

HAHA, this made me laugh. Thank you, sir!

7. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

oh boy another circlejerk thread

its a phone, there are phones that cost the same to buy, and actually when subsidized is not even that expensive.

and no one thinks you are rich because you own an iPhone = its not a Mercedes Benz

8. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd say Toyota. May not have all of the newest, fancy features - but it works, and it works well.

9. JASApplications, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011

JASApplications macrumors 65816

Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder or Ferrari 458 Italia :)

Just because you have a Mercedes doesn't mean you're rich.

10. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Welcome to the circle.

11. climber20 macrumors member

A top of the line Honda.

Solid build, polished craftsmanship, and reliable for years with bare minimum maintenance. Not the highest internal specs out there, but more than enough for most needs.

12. upbraid macrumors member

stock iphone: probably a low-end bmw, audi, or mercedes. got the prestige of the brand, but you can get better performance from cheaper cars.

tacky iphone with diamond and what not: higher-end of above brands. appear to be better than above, more prestige.

vertu, goldvish, mobiado: ferraris, lambos and other exotics. i swim in monies

droids: nissans, hondas, toyotas, ford, ect. can be crap, can be economical, can be performance, no prestige though.

tacky driods: riced out crap, maybe appealing to 15 year olds who likes fast and furious.

13. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Wow, I had never heard of them. Who the F wants to talk into a diamond croissant?

[​IMG]

14. blevins321 macrumors 68030

More than that. The first jailbreak for it will be tethered. So it'll come with a netbook in the glove compartment to do a tethered engine start.

15. GP_1 macrumors regular

Rolls Royce, Porshe, Corvette, Mercedes, Cadillac, etc.

16. TheMacBookPro, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

So some people still think that having an iPhone equates to the prestige of owning, say, a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Interesting.

(and very weird)

If anything the iPhone is a Camry/Accord. Everyone and their grandma has one these days.

Maybe when it was first launched it would be a Merc (quite a few people own it, not expensive or exclusive by any means, but a step above the Nokias and Motos of that time), but certainly not anymore.

17. Artcue macrumors newbie

Artcue

18. ggf macrumors member

Android is like a hotrod, you need to be technically competent to keep it working. You may be able to do some cool things with a hotrod but most people just want somethong that works without the hassle

19. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I see it as a fully-loaded Volkswagen sedan actually.

20. EddyP macrumors 6502

A baby Benz or BMW. C class or 3 series.

It looks nice.
    It does the job quite well.
    Performance is above average but nothing special.
    There are tons of others out there that perform better.
    Many of their owners think they are cool just because they own one.

21. naths macrumors 6502

22. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

It would be a LeCar, or any other car that is no longer produced. Why?

Because the hood would be welded shut so you couldnt change anything.

The Gas tank would be welded closed, so You would have to go to the Genius Station to fill up.

If you did fix anything then your warranty would be voided.

And dont even get me talking about the moisture sensors, as soon as it gets rained on your warranty is done.

23. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

This gave me a good chuckle.:D

24. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

It would be a Delorian, all looks and limited functionality.