If the MB refresh might actually be in November...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ryuukumori, Apr 2, 2009.

  1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    #1
    Even though I am going to college in late September, is it okay if I hold up until November?

    It seems like a long stretch because I would be without a notebook for 2 months. Can I really hold up in the University with just pencil/paper? Or would I have to suffice for a machine in the summer, then see the buyer's remorse set in? (That is of course, if the updates are going to be in November.)

    Any insight from University students? If I cannot wait any time into the University for a notebook, the soonest I can wait is September 30, when fall quarter starts. I am really hoping for this Nehalem refresh... but I have some insight myself...

    Doesn't Apple usually upgrade the MacBook Pros first? Wouldn't they get the Nehalem (Which is Quad, correct?) Then the MB follow the next refresh. I don't think my logic is correct, but it's an idea.
     
  2. NSK123 macrumors regular

    NSK123

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2008
    #2
    What if you get hit by a bus tomorrow and die?:eek:

    no need to hold out all the way till november, just buy it, I doubt the changes will be groundbreaking anyways.
     
  3. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    #3
    That's true. lol

    I am still going to wait until after WWDC just in case things change. Otherwise, other insight?
     
  4. Stachelsk macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2008
    #4
    I went ahead and bought a Penryn last Feb. instead of waiting until Nov. for the Alu releases, and I'm happy I did. However, waiting for Nehalem might be worth it... that's a huge performance increase.

    Depends on your major, I guess. Obviously, math and physics courses (like the ones I took first semester) don't require any computer. Sure, you might need to do some research for some class or something, but your campus probably has some kind of public computer access.

    That's a tough decision. I'd say it's doable. I had a friend wait out for the Alu MacBook instead of just buying the plastic ones, and he got by. I don't know what his grades were. Either way, if you buy now or if you buy later, you'll enjoy it either way... I still love my whitebook even though it's not the newest thing on the block.
     
  5. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    #5
    Thing is... I toured the campus a couple times already, both with school activity going on... and all the computer labs were filled. It is hard to find one without having your own.

    Maybe I shouldn't worry, and WWDC will bring minor speed bumps, and Nehalem to be possessed by MBPs only for now. I see that a possibility.

    I will be doing either Aerospace Engineering or Oceanography. Those two I assume require computers of your own.
     
  6. The Samurai macrumors 68000

    The Samurai

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    Location:
    Glasgow
    #6
    Thing is, i've been down this route - I waited for the Alu MB's to come out and then made my purchase. Although, it was a killer trying to wait for Apple to have some leaks lol.

    What it comes down is, yes Nehalem is coming out - but are those few extra seconds going to really make a difference on you? For some, yes - those creative individuals who pretty much rely on speed. But, for someone like me, I didn't really need speed hence went for the lower Alu MB model (2.0) and I am more than happy with it. Its more than what I require.

    Just to put things into perspective, i'm doing an MSc Marketing course so a lot of things that I do with this laptop are business orientated i.e. presentations, a lot of essays/reports, e-mail etc. Outwith my university work, I do videos on youtube (as seen from my sig), listening to music, watching 24 (best TV episode yet) and visiting websites.

    Plus, as you said - you never know the MB's might not get updated till like net year whereas the 'pro' models may get released beforehand? Its all speculation. Nothing is as smooth as you want it to go. It's just how Apple works, they don't release specs until the keynote. The last thing you want to be doing is waiting until November and then the Macbooks don't get updated. However, if your not going to be getting your macbook until September - hold out until then and then keep checking these forum websites... i've found this particular one to be pretty reliable.

    Hope that helps - I know what its like... trust me lol
     
  7. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2008
    #7
    I'm in the same position right now but I've decided to just go ahead and buy the thing now. But, my purposes for a laptop might be different than yours. For CPU/GPU intensive tasks I've got my desktops. I'm a philosophy major and I really only need a laptop for writing papers, doing research, and other light tasks. Is a Nehalem core going to give me any practical benefit in these respects. I think the answer is clearly "No."

    The fact that more intensive tasks, like decoding h.264, can be offloaded to a GPU and handled very well is, for me, even more reason to be relatively uninterested in any future move to Nehalem cores in the notebooks.

    I'm as interested as anyone in Nehalem desktop and Xeon parts. But for light academic and personal use, I just don't see any good reason to be interested in them. Therefore, if I want or need a laptop now, I'm not waiting.
     
  8. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    #8
    Thanks! :)

    Come to think about it... everyone RIGHT now that is taking either courses I am interested in have notebooks around the same specs that are on the market now, if not, older. You are right, I don't think I need to worry about a quad core Nehalem machine to be effective in a course that has been offered for years and years, even when computers at the time were so old, they would be worthless today.

    I have decided not to wait until November because the wait is just too risky. I will definitely wait until Snow Leopard, because it's an investment I would like to see built-in rather than spend another $129 in a month after buying an already-premium notebook. ;)
     
  9. hndn macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    #9
    Usually Apple has a "back to school" deal sometimes in the summer, I intended to wait for the free Itouch but yesterday the $200 rebate for the White macbook was so tempted, yes, I bought it.
     
  10. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    #10
    Yeah that's my plan too to sell the iPod Touch when I get it, then a free printer with the rebate, on top of the edu discount. ;)
     
  11. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #11
    In the last year or so they have been updated at the same times. While quad-core is feasible for the MacBook Pro I would expect it to use dual-core Nehalem instead (Q1 2010).
     
  12. drew0020 macrumors 68000

    drew0020

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2006
    #12
    Can the mods close these threads? There seems to be a new one popping up daily. Just make a sticky and people can talk about the refresh. Look at the history usually it is an insignificant processor speed bump and maybe a slightly larger and very slow 5400rpm harddrive.

    If you to see a massive increase in speed invest in a SSD.
     
  13. cube macrumors G5

    Joined:
    May 10, 2004
    #13
    The correct choice, which is WHITE, was just released at the end of January.
     
  14. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #14
    Agreed. There's one here, although the last post was a few days ago.

    This time it's not "insignificant."
     
  15. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    #15
    To the last 2 posters... I disagree with closing this for the reasons you justify it's motive to be.

    Clearly, I am stating whether timing is feasible for a university student and other factors to purchase, I am in no manner ASKING for a prediction. My only real question was whether a typical UNI student can wait over 2 months into the school year to buy an updated notebook, if it happens at that time. I am safely assuming what is seen on the MacRumors front page (no trust in them though, only rumors), debating an INEVITABLE decision I have to make later.
     
  16. Darkroom Guest

    Darkroom

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2006
    Location:
    Montréal, Canada
    #16
    i'm also playing the waiting game now for a new macbook.

    my reason for waiting isn't to get the new processor, but to purchase a Rev B unibody. there seem to be several issues with the Rev A unibody macbooks that could get sorted out, and in waiting getting a few megahertz more for the same price wouldn't be bad either.

    i'm sure there will be a refresh before november, and probably before july based on past updates. i really can't imagine apple waiting until november (more than a year) to refresh their flagship computer, it's just not going to happen.

    i think a speed bump (and price drop?) for the macbook will happen in june or july, since i would guess the macbook pro will get the new processors around october/november before the macbooks, then the macbooks will follow a few months later (macworld 2010?) with a new update that is 6 or 7 months after the last update of the macbooks.
     
  17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #17
    I don't think you'll be getting a notebook update in November. At times, Apple has been very slow at updating their machines even after a new processor has been released, and other manufacturers such as Dell, HP, and Sony have implemented it already.

    Secondly, we'll probably see a speed bump before then, if that makes you happy. The Al Macbooks were released in October of last year, and I don't think Apple would go 13 months without an update of their best-selling laptop (and probably their best selling computer).
     
  18. Darkroom Guest

    Darkroom

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2006
    Location:
    Montréal, Canada
    #18
    true. but if i recall correctly, that was when apple was IBM's bitch with PPC. lately, it seems that apple receives the intel chips months in advance.
     
  19. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    #19
    After some heavy thinking, I really want to get into the audio recording/ music playing for commercials, tv shows, movies, etc. Especially for Japanese dramas. I know it's a big deal in Japan with so many new dramas releasing on TV. Very popular too.

    So I think the MB would be perfect for that, even though the lack of FW doesn't bother me one bit. I would use USB on the MB or PCI Express on a custom build later, when I get more money and further into my college life. ;)

    If this is a concern... (in case typical music recording demands mobile firewire...) I could always buy the low-end MBP. However, I would have to go as cheap as possible and get the refurbished with the free printer. That is, I would be waiting for a refresh here too, no iPod promo, and Snow Leopard's release.

    I could always do that. I'll take any and all insight here too. Thanks.
     
  20. Aniki macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2008
    #20
    Lack of firewire is alright, I don't use firewire much anyways
     
  21. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    #21
    How about in a music studio? Recording? Or audio production? Those are my concerns. Is a MBP really necessary... or a MB is okay now?

    Sorry if this thread kinda switch tables, from different majors. It's been a real struggle to think what I wanna do. Of course, I don't even declare my major yet, I'm only anticipating! XD
     
  22. synth3tik macrumors 68040

    synth3tik

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    #22
    I think your planning way to far in advance. Try to enjoy spring and summer and worry about that problem come sept.
     
  23. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2008
    #23
    It's exciting. lol

    I understand about waiting, but what about some personal experience with audio production or whatnot? Is PCI the new domination? Would I be fit with a custom build at home to do things? Or is today, mobile power necessary?

    Of course, this is a choice between...
    1. MacBook and custom rig
    2. Just MacBook Pro

    September will bring the most information, but I don't see how I'll know by then until I'm asking here or IN college (by then, it'll be too late).
     
  24. Darkroom Guest

    Darkroom

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2006
    Location:
    Montréal, Canada
    #24
    i minored in electroacousitc music studies in university and we learned studio recording in a real studio in a real concert hall on campus... our sound art classes were projected edited on G4s back then (2001-2002), i'm sure the macbook can handle sound apps, even logic, just fine.

    one thing to note, however, is that 5400rpm HDs that come standard on the macbook are not idea for recording live performances... it's better to get faster HD that can keep up, otherwise you might run into problems - in which case you should get a macbook pro for the 7200 drives or upgrade your macbook to SSD
     
  25. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

    Mintin8

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #25
    I think he'll need to plan in advance for his first year in college. Especially if having a laptop is a big need of his.
     

Share This Page