If the next iPad is called iPad HD...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gallium, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Gallium macrumors newbie

If the next iPad is called iPad HD... what would the subsequent iPads be called???

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It could be Apple trying to get away from calling them iPad #. It makes them feel obsolite faster, and no one wants to buy something that's old... helps keep resale value up.

Think of it like the Macbook and Macbook Air. The current Macbook Air isn't the Macbook Air 3, it's just the Macbook Air. Same with iPod HD.

That's assuming they don't make it the iPod HD 2 or something... that sounds like some HTC phone :rolleyes:

3. iDrew87 macrumors member

I would prefer the name iPad HD oppose to iPad 2S. So either a "HD" or "3"

4. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

It won't be called HD. That's for films. Cameras. And the other people that misuse the term.

[​IMG]

They might have ... another name for it.

5. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

6. iDrew87 macrumors member

Dear god! HAHA! :D

7. harlex macrumors member

i suppose when you older the thought of anything called a pad is bad news!!!

8. urkel macrumors 68030

Actually, the Apple distinguishes its Macs as MacBook Air (Late 2011) or Mac Mini (Early 2010). So to claim iPad # makes them seem old doesn't make sense since most people don't know what year the iPhone 2 came out, but they do know that the iPhone 4 is "newer".

Personally, I prefer the number system. Its easy to understand, its sequential and its not pretentious. Calling it iPad HD and eliminating the numbers will only result in more complicated search/product terms in the long run because we'll have to start adding the year in order to properly reference it. And reselling an iPad HD (Early 2012) will be much harder to resell than an iPad 4.

9. tmarks11 macrumors 6502a

Ipad 2 -> ipad HD -> ipad HDS -> ipad HDGS -> ipad HDGSJ... Followed by ipad 3.

Seriously, though, I think Apple is trying to cash in on the same snobbery that is reaping them benefits in the iphone world.

"you ONLY have an iphone 3? You are so last decade..." sort of thing.

Some people like bragging rights, and influences them to upgrade faster then is really needed.

My guess is the next name will be iPad2S, since that seems to be the naming sequence the iphones has followed. No major configuration change (early "leaks" of the case looks approximately similar), with cpu and maybe display update.

Of course, my track record for predicting Apple upgrades is about 0.0%, so I would even bet against myself.

10. yegon, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

yegon macrumors 68020

Yup, I agree.

Far better with the numbers, for now anyway, as a distinct name becomes obsolete and easily forgotten when the next model arrives. Don't confuse people on here, myself amongst them, with the vast majority of people who buy iPads. To them, an iPad is an iPad, and will likely keep them satisfied until it literally becomes unusable.

I really don't see this. The iPad 2 was much more a 1S imo. If the iPad 3 is as the rumours suggest, it's a far bigger leap between 2->3 than 1->2. Sure, the 2 to 3 transition may look similar physically, but the guts of the 3 are a huge leap forward relative to 1->2 imo.

11. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Why would they call it iPad HD when all iPads have always had a HD screen?

12. yegon macrumors 68020

Technically they don't though do they, 1280x720 and up is "officially" (I use the term loosely) HD.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Really? You missed the completely overhauled case design, cameras, next gen dual-core SOC, double memory? IPad 2 was a huge overhaul.

14. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

You serious bro?

What if Apple changes its name in Banana? :eek: Let's discuss this.

15. DoctorWho Suspended

DoctorWho

16. yegon macrumors 68020

Haha, no, I upgraded* to an iPad 2. Much better experience overall, but I personally don't think it was THAT much of a leap. Similarly, I've never considered the 3G->3GS, 4->4S upgrade much of a leap beyond faster and better. 3->4 was a different experience, not just faster and better. Kind of expect the same of 1->3.

*I sort of upgraded by mistake. Bought a launch 11" MBA, didn't think I'd use my iPad 1 much so sold it (for £37 less than I bought it for 9 months later :). Regretted it massively, so bought an iPad2. Tbh, if I'd kept my iPad 1 I probably would have stuck with it.

17. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

iPad 2 -> Super iPad 2 -> Super iPad 2 Turbo -> Super iPad 2 Turbo HD Remix.

18. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It should just be called, iPad. HD doesn't make any real sense to me.

Why are people so excited about a retina screen anyway? We've had that on the iPhone for years.

19. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

If they do not change the design, most likely it will be the iPad 2S

20. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

lol thats why we need it on the ipad as well.

21. Mjmar macrumors 65816

How about they just keep the same name for it like they did with the iPod and iPod nano... Just call it iPad for every iteration, it makes it simpler.

22. Cobster macrumors member

Does it really matter what thet call it...? We'll buy it no matter what...and Apple will sell tons of it, no matter what it is named...

23. kevink2 macrumors 65816

How about going with a name for a version or 2 before going back to numbers.

iPad Vista

24. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That's the thing though, the retina screen on the iPhone isn't all that great and can be improved. Why would you want old tech on a new product?

At least that's what I was hoping for.

25. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I absolutely agree with this, but instead of iPad HD. I think Apple should simply call it the 'iPad'. Adding words or numbers after it doesnt seem to be a viable way of naming their products. Imagine 'iPad 9', that simply does look right.

This idea should also be applied to iPhones as well. If Apple is able to market Macbook Pros, iPods and iMacs that way it should work with the iPad.