All iPads If the next iPhone has a fingerprint scanner...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Che Castro, May 17, 2013.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

in the home button as the rumors say, would you also like to see that on the next ipad mini2 & ipad 5

yes,no, don't care?

2. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

To be honest the whole finger print scanner thing is unique innovation but I personally don't even have a lock code on my iOS devices. Unless they also announce at the same time that I can have my credit card linked to a passbook and essentially replace my wallet I doubt I will even use this feature.

I'm sure this feature will fill the niche for people who use iOS devices for business though.

3. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

+1 on this. If the DID allow credit cards to be linked to passbook that would be amazing though. That would make the 5s a no brainer in my book.

4. Bear macrumors G3

So they can cut off and take your finger when they steal your iPad or iPhone?

In truth, I don't care if they add a fingerprint scanner but it would be likely I wouldn't have a new iOS device with a fingerprint scanner for a couple of years. I don't upgrade every time a new hardware comes out.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This won't be useful for us unless we can register multiple users as authorized to access our iDevices. We each have our own iPads and iPhones, but borrow each other's devices all the time for a quick check of stuff. If we had to ask each other to activate the device, that'd be a hassle.

6. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

I'm sure fingerprinting won't be the only way to unlock your phone. They'll probably allow for the tried and true PIN as well.

I think people are being shortsighted about the significance of this. It could apply not only to unlock your phone, but for anything that requires authentication. A heck of a lot easier than remembering a ton of passwords. And if used in conjunction with passwords, a heck of a lot more secure.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If the device can be unlocked with a PIN, then it's no more secure than itis now.

Two-factor authentication where one factor is your fingerprint, though, that might be a good thing. Thanks for pointing that out!

8. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

The current home button and slide to unlock is just fine for me. If the 5S gets it I'm sure we will see it on the other iDevices. I wouldn't really care for it, although it would be cool for a change.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I don't care but it will stop thief from stealing iPad because police is not doing their job. :apple:

10. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Fingerprint scanning technology is not new, even in portable gadgets.

----------

No it won't.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The 5s may see fingerprint scanning integrating with NFC and passbook for more secure payments. Ipad will unlikely get NFC and passbook, so I don't think it will get fingerprint scanning.

Besides, I don't lock my ipad exactly so it can go right into the homescreen when I open the smart cover. :p

12. theone09 macrumors regular

how about finger print scanner does not only use for the lock screen, but also for the passbook which linked with credit cards. For example, before paying using the credit card on passbook, you have to scan your finger on the scanner. To make sure you are the owner.