Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
We do some folks assume that being happy with our current devices (in this case those with Apple OS and IOS) somehow means we're stupid or ignorant. Could it be that we've simply found something that meets our needs, we've invested some money (and time) with the software and don't feel the need to jump ship because some as of yet unknown next device may or may not be a "redesign"?

I'm not a fanboy (hell, I'm not even a boy). I'm someone who came from a different OS/device and has set my current iPhone up in a way that meets my needs in a pretty elegant and UNannoying way. This is bad or "stupid" because...? Why isn't it just my choice and right for me? Why is knowing what I want "pathetic"?

Will I always use an iPhone? Who knows. Do I want to spend countless hours configuring some other device to do what my iPhone does pretty damned well right now? No. I did my research, I keep abreast of developments and I continue to assess my tech needs for both work and leisure. And I'm happy with my current setup. How silly of me.
:)

wcrov

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
You can't beat iThings fashion... lol

iPhone is fashion...
Android is freedom...
Windows Phone 7 is heavy...
Symbian is dead...

Just choose what flavor do you want and be happy!!!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Jakintosh™;13405040 said:
You would really switch to Android just because you're iPhone isn't tapered?
The reason most people would switch is because of the screen size. There really is a huge difference between a 3.5" screen and a 4.5" screen. Not because the design is bad or preferring Android/WP7 to iOS. I've had a 3GS for two years and a few months ago bough a used Samsung Captivate to help decide whether my next phone should be an iPhone or an Android phone. My 3GS has been a great phone. After getting used to my Captivate, I have come to really love the 4" Super AMOLED display, the interactive live wallpapers, the Search and stocks widgets on my homescreen, the ability to customize so many things, and not having to play the cat-and-mouse jailbreak game. Whether or not the iPhone 5 has a 4" display, I'm sticking with my Captivate and I'm buying the iPhone 5 just to resell it. Selling a 3GS and an unopened iPhone 5 on eBay can rake in a lot of $$$. Then in a few months, I can upgrade from a used Captivate to a used HTC Inspire a very little cost (~$50), and later to a dual core phone. This way I get to know the advantages and disadvantages of smartphones from each manufacturer. Why am I doing this? I'm a hardcore geek and already have an iPad. As someone from the Ubuntu forums said, "You know you're a geek when you have all 3 major operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X) united in your bedroom."

If you're considering switching to Android, test out a used one for a month or so. Don't just buy one and return it if you don't like it as many people do, it causes someone to loose money. You either like Android or you don't. It is nowhere near as intuitive as iOS, but I don't mind it.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Since all I have been doing with my phone is mostly exploring more into music with Pandora Radio or downloading songs, the HTC Sensation XE (with Beats Audio) has also sparked some interest for me. I really want those headphones.

Like I said, not a fan of Android as much as iOS, but the hardware aspects can't be overlooked. Note has that 5.3-inch screen and special magnetic stylus. If you are an audiophile, Sensation XE has the Dr. Dre Beats Audio. And then we have the elusive Nexus Prime and perhaps the Galaxy S III announced by next Feb. Amazon is also going to introduce an Android tablet next week and for $250. Some interesting Android devices in the pipeline. Android is here to stay.

For me, the Android war boils down between Samsung vs HTC right now. Korean vs Taiwanese. HTC was one of the early adopters while Samsung has now become the most successful seller as Galaxy S II sold 10M units. Motorola, LG, SE, and the rest are not in the battle right now. Motorola will likely make a comeback late next year when they will be the ones making the next Nexus phone and put strong build quality to it. Sammy have the better/bigger screens and better cameras, but HTC have the better audio and build quality.

I was just checking out my stepdad's Droid X today and it isn't as BIG as I thought it was. I can tolerate 4.3-inch screens. I guess it is a matter of getting used to it similar to if you went from driving a small car to an SUV. I am leaning toward Samsung Galaxy Note over the Sensation XE, but both seem to be nice choices for MY personal needs. An Android comes out like every week, so my wishlist will change again over time.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
We do some folks assume that being happy with our current devices (in this case those with Apple OS and IOS) somehow means we're stupid or ignorant. Could it be that we've simply found something that meets our needs, we've invested some money (and time) with the software and don't feel the need to jump ship because some as of yet unknown next device may or may not be a "redesign"?

I'm not a fanboy (hell, I'm not even a boy). I'm someone who came from a different OS/device and has set my current iPhone up in a way that meets my needs in a pretty elegant and UNannoying way. This is bad or "stupid" because...? Why isn't it just my choice and right for me? Why is knowing what I want "pathetic"?

Will I always use an iPhone? Who knows. Do I want to spend countless hours configuring some other device to do what my iPhone does pretty damned well right now? No. I did my research, I keep abreast of developments and I continue to assess my tech needs for both work and leisure. And I'm happy with my current setup. How silly of me.

You said it simple. You like it :) There is nothing to challenge that word. Now when you see somebody moaning about other OS while you can clearly tell he/she either never used it / used it on a old device (try first gen iPhone now and we'll see how happy you will be compared to your 3GS/4) or maybe at a carrier store then it kinda gets interesting :)
It's as simple as that and I always find it fun to discuss with such individuals :)

Jbrumz85

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
I'm getting the sg2 on october 2nd and if apple gives me a bigger screen I'll switch it out with the iPhone 5. Hopefully the iPhone will be released within the 30 day return.

Padraig

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Yip. Either the SGS 2 or the SE Arc S. I've a notion to try out a W7 device also, but even with Mango I don't think they're still there for me.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I love to draw caricatures and doodle, but whoa! Check out the videos below. Now I want a Note even more...

Drawing with the new Samsung Galaxy Note
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMvMWyXldzk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUpFp_GRkbE

Samsung Galaxy Note becoming the sketch artist's phone. Holding that phone against my ear won't bother me if I have a Bluetooth handset on. I can just draw pictures or take notes with the S-Pen while I talk to them via BT. And when people do see that beautiful 5.3 screen in public, I can imagine them asking me about it. I remember the first LG Viewty back in 2007 had a stylus too, but it had a resistive 3-inch touchscreen. If you like to sketch or prefer to view the web or videos with a more comfortable viewing experience, I can see why some people would want it like me.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Absolutely not. Why would I do that? Android devices are a totally different device. I would still stick to my 4 or just get the new one. That simple.

Nothing else is as smooth and fluid as my iPhone. Just how I like it & the simplicity keeps me wanting more.

----------

I feel just as you do

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
For me it really depends on how good iOS5 is. If hardware & OS remain basically the same, I'll definitely try for a W7 phone. I already had my eye on the Samsung Focus, so I'll either get that or wait for a newest Focus or good W7 model to release.

But of course this is highly unlikely. I'm sure the next iPhone will set all other devices back for a good 3-4 months.

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Will upgrade to the Iphone 5 if there is a deal or stay with my current iPhone 4 till next year
I looked at the Samsung for fun but it just feels cheap and you can not beat the Quality, support and warranty that Apple offers.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Quick observation...

Red text + your signature does nothing else but tries make me feel bad while making you look stupid. That hardware you have there can sum up yearly income in quite a few places in the world and certainly you can afford more than one platform. So.. Next time try to use some real arguments instead of showing how much IDevice fan are you.

2009 Mac Mini 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD|MacBook Air 13" 1.6Ghz 2GB RAM 80GB HD|iPhone 4 32GB Black|iPad 2 64GB Wi-Fi+3G White|2011 Mac Mini 2.7Ghz i7 8GB RAM 750GB HD

And what you mean insult peoples intelligence. It's a phone. There is no rocket science here. If people can't even google "how to" or find a youtube vid for it how can you even TRY to defend their braincell count??

OK, you need to *******. Whether you like it or not, you're coming off as a high-and-mighty $%#.

You want to critique MY signature? What, I've got a 6 year old iPod and a 3GS, so I should shut up about not being able to afford more than one phone on multiple platforms? Please.

You're correct that it's just a phone and people get way to upset over these sorts of things. But to blast someone because they point out that most people can't afford more than one phone on multiple platforms is just stupid. Could I afford it? Probably. But what's your definition of "afford"? If I tried to have 3 phones, one running iOS, one running WP7, and one running Android, I could do it. But it would come at the expense of me actually being able to ENJOY life.

Stick a sock in it and stop being such an arrogant $%#&@.

blesio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
I like ma iphone 4, i would like it a hella more if it had an A5 CPU and a little betta battery. Oh man, and if they put all this **** back in the iPhone 3GS case then I would just loooove my :apple: iphone.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I'm actually fine with my iP4 as it is. It does all it needs toad looks good; even after after one year.

LTE is not yet available wildly as it should be; I have a mobile LTE Wifi router but that often switch back to 3G, downtown Tokyo. Another year to wait for mainstream.

Of course a slightly bigger screen and NFC would be nice; but as others I'm voluntary stucked with the Apple ego-system, I mean Eco system. No real chance to switch.

The android smartphone from my wife just don't intressted me too much. Feels not right.

But I'm open to check out other tablets as additional toy to my iPad. Missed the HP bargain sale.

Waiting more for iPad 3 than iP5

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
No, I'll go Blackberry, though. Lol. I'm joking.

Nope. I'll just have the iPhone 4S then.

damant

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2010
If anybody really finds it HARD to switch to a different platform then I feel sorry for you.

I use both and think on adding WP7 to the pack (developer). I carry iP4 or my Desire Z pretty much back and forth. To be honest there is no difference besides lack of widgets on iOS. I hate to go into menus looking for features but pretty much that's it.

I am absolutely amazed that in 21 century people are getting dumber instead of brighter will all this technology around. To make things worse their perception is narrowing as they try to prove that a phone can be a true life changer... or life goal...

I live in the The Age Of Stupid and apple fanboys are leading the pack. Seriously.

Woooow... Really... So if I have three phones : three operating systems : i'm a genius !? And should I start calling everyone "stupid "...

So smart!

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Why is that? You can't find your way without GPS no more? Or is it that you can chat while on the go with your smartphone? Or maybe playing games is your thing? Nope? Then it must be Martha Stewart cooking app...

And yeah. There's nothing in a smartphone that changed my life. Yes it makes it easier but that's a HUGE difference.

A child can change your life, your school can change your life, your hard work/lazyness can change your life but no freaking device will ever achieve that. You got too much of apple propaganda with this "life changing", "magical" and "ground breaking" stuff. It's marketing where smart people make dumb ones praise their toy lol.
As a matter of fact, my iPhone has changed my daily life. I'm sure many people can attest to this.

It changes the way I view the internet everyday. It changes the way people do most of their daily tasks.

The iPhone does make life easier, and it truly DOES change people's lives.

The iPad has amazing technologies to help people with learning disabilities and other problems/heath issues that was unheard of before. They are used in some hospitals and in many scientific settings. Even as navigation tools in planes.

IDK, but for a device that was originally made to be someone's "toy", that's pretty damn magical.

Call me a fanboy, whatever. But that is the truth. iOS and iDevices can be used in ways that are unfathomable to many of us and they truly do help people.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
I asked myself the same question only yesterday. I've purchased all of the iPhones and have enjoyed them immensely. I think I'll be moving to Android if the next iPhone doesn't impress me. Part of the problem is AT&T and its crappy service. My new home only receives GPRS as well as an occasional EDGE signal. I'd definitely keep the new iPhone if it T-Mobile were to receive it so I could use HSPA+. I'd possibly even consider moving to Verizon if it were LTE compatible. I'm not really holding my breath though, all I know is that I need to dump AT&T within the next couple of weeks.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
As a current use of the first Galaxy S with a decent amount of experience in installing XDA ROMs and all that stuff, I was thoroughly underwhelmed after trying out some of the latest Androids, including the Galaxy S2, HTC Sensation, Moto Atrix, etc, especially the Galaxy S2 which was supposed to be the new messiah - in other words the new EVO 4G.

Not that any of them was bad or even not very good, they were all excellent phones with varied strengths. But at the end they are all still Android phones. If you like the fit&finish of Apple hardware and iOS software, Android phones just don't make the cut yet, IMHO. I haven't tried any of the Sony-Ericsson stuff yet but I somehow doubt that'll make me think differently. Other buyers could very well find reasons to choose Android phones but for my current personal criteria, I'd really like to get away from Android.

fmjordan23

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
If you are currently using the iPhone you have to already know that the experience you get both with the product and the support from Apple will not be duplicated by anyone else. That being said, why would you change to another product?!

After all.......who signs up to be number 2?!

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
If the new iPhone is essentially the iPhone 4 with a non-glass back, 8 megapixel camera, and A5 CPU/GPU only, they're going to lose a lot of sales. Especially now with Android phones with 4.0 to 4.5 inch (diagonal) touchscreens, LTE support and more and more with near-field communications (NFC) support.

Clarkish

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
I currently have a Droid X and while I like it, I want to go and give the iPhone another go. I had the 3GS, but at the time where I was traveling a lot, the AT&T coverage wasn't very good. Anyways, I was hoping for LTE and NFC in the new iPhone, but I doubt thats going to happen. One if just a battery drain and the other is pretty much useless. The iPhone 4 is a great phone with a great design to it. If the screen was a tad bit bigger, I probably would have already jumped to get it. I'm very curious and excited to see what the new iPhone will have to offer either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.