If the next iPhone is only a bump in specs....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanteMann, Sep 21, 2011.

1. DanteMann macrumors 6502

I really think it will be a completely new phone, but of course there is always a chance it can truly be only just a bump in specs. So I gotta ask, if you stay in line for an iPhone 4S, what does that say about you as a rational thinking adult? Honestly, what kind of person would get in line for a device that is only a bump in specs? I think this will be ultimate test for the most loyal of Apple customers. ;)

2. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

People who have a 3GS, 3G, or original iPhones or people getting an iPhone for the first time would be prime candidates.

I don't think it has much to do with fanboy level loyalty. With current iPhone 4 owners who may go with the bump spec as you lay out, there's nothing wrong with that either; some people like and can afford having the latest tech.

4. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

what if you have a 3g or a 3gs, suddenly its not so crazy huh? what does this ridiculous post say about you as a "rational" poster? not too much at all

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

After waiting in a queue for over 2 hours on the iPod 4 launch day I've now come to the conclusion that a 'rational adult' wouldn't bother lining up for a new phone. :eek:

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Technically speaking, every new phone, computer, etc, is only a bump in specs... some bumps are just more impressive than others.

Of course, as has been said countless times in countless other threads, until Apple speaks and we know something, none of this speculation matters.

Personally, I'm extremely tired of the same 'doomsday what-if' threads that continue to pop up... especially considering that even a worst case scenario based on what we've heard is still a nice upgrade and not a minor bump.

7. na1577 macrumors 6502a

The worst case scenario is an iPhone 4 with an A5 processor inside. That's not a very nice upgrade.

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...and double the RAM... and a nicely improved camera.

9. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

From reading the articles about leaked parts and case designs, I can bet on the new phone being an updated case design and a bump in spec. There might be other stuff too but you never know until launch day

10. aohus macrumors 68000

tim cook gonna come out with troll face and start prancing around, and make announcement that iPhone 5 will be out in June, 2012.

after announcements, weird al yankovic will make a performance on stage.

[​IMG]

11. disarticulate macrumors regular

All of the below are the reasons why I waited in line for the previous iPhones. Unless there is something that I see as a significant improvement, I most likely won't be ordering the new phone.

iPhone 3G - 3G data connection
    iPhone 3GS - HSDPA, video recording
    iPhone 4 - retina display

Simply putting a faster chip, more storage, and a bigger camera in the current iPhone would not sell me on the update.

See where I'm going with this Apple? If you throw LTE into the current iPhone4 I'll gladly pay the premium.

-Houston, TX