If the problem is bridging the antennas...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikethebigo, Jun 29, 2010.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Why does touching the top seam do nothing? Honest question. If we're "elongating" and messing up the cell antenna by joining the two, it should make the same signal issues appear. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. celticpride678

I believe the top antenna controls Bluetooth, Wi-F and GPS, meaning it wouldn't be as evident.

3. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

4. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Still, the theory should still hold water. Someone should test it out and see if the other functions are affected when bridged.

5. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

the antenna on the right side of the phone, isn't that all one continuous gsm antenna? at least, that's how the picture makes it look - that there are 2 discrete antennas and those two should meet at two different spots.

6. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

I could be wrong but I just posted a theory based on how the iPhone seeks the next best towers...either it's seeking towers too far away or the towers in your area have low sig strength. I think whenever the antenna notices that something is in the way it immediately seeks another tower...most likely the wrong tower.

lemme know what you think: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=955911

7. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Touching an antenna isn't just touching an antenna. The problem is much more complicated than just conductivity. A simple analogy would be a guitar string, touching it at the tuning peg won't cause a significant shift in pitch, but touching it anywhere else along it's length will cause a change in tone. That's not exactly how it works, but it should give you an idea.