If the target inventory locator says it's available for days now...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by melman101, Mar 18, 2011.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

and they say no on the phone if they have it, do they have it or not? I'm wondering if I should make this 40 minute trip.

2. NismoRoadster macrumors regular

NismoRoadster

i saw two in my area for the last two days now. they do not have it, if they do its probably hidden in the back somewhere or they are saving it for a friend or till they get money.

3. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

So I should not waste my time? That's what I'm thinking. However, if any other stores change their status between tonight and tomorrow morning, thats a good sign.

4. shaft103 macrumors newbie

If they target is not far, I'd recommend going there. The sales people are tired of getting asked and a lot of times are unaware of shipments coming in overnight so they are just defaulting to saying they do not have any. If the target is close, go over there, bring the stock number with you from the target thread and ask them to look it up on their stock guns. That will tell them if it is in the store somewhere. If it shows up on there, ask them politely to try and locate it. I would not rely on them telling you anything on the phone.

5. kcsr macrumors member

that's my guess too, based on my experiences this week.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I wouldn't trust the online stock locator right now. Not with this frenzy going on.

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

Just wait a week and don't get your panties in a bunch. You're waiting on an item that is carried in Target - how important could it possibly be? I promise - you'll get to play on your new iPad soon

8. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

in my experience, the inventory checker is real time.

If i found something with limited avail and bought it, it showed out of stock when i checked after my purchase on my phone in the car.

if it shows, it should be there unless someone has hid it.

9. serrada macrumors newbie

Actually, it's been the most accurate source since launch. Make sure you have the DCPI when you go to ask. When they enter it and it shows that it's in stock, they'll most likely have to go in the back to retrieve it.

target thread

10. CK Seal Beach macrumors newbie

If it shows its been in stock for a few days, then most likely it there are none - either an inventory error, or as was pointed out, someone (employee) is hiding them for a friend.

If it showed UNAVAILABLE yesterday, and now today it is available - get your ass down there! That means some came overnight. Check that inventory locater at 6am or so.

You MUST be there at 8am or earlier, or likely someone else will get it. Sometimes these are only a couple units. I got mine this way - was there at 8am, one guy in front of me, they had 2 units. Thankfully he only bought one.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1117856

11. MatP macrumors newbie

One of my local targets turned to available yesterday. I went over there and they said they didn't have any. I asked them to check the stock gun, they wouldn't. They said it took a while to update. It is still showing as available now. Hmmmm...

12. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah that's why I'm thinking they aren't going to have it. It's been like this for a week now. Just "Available". I don't want to drive a total of 2 hours for nothing. I'm sure other people have tried that Target if I was going to try it.

Oh well, I'll just wait for Best Buy. Here is to hoping they call today.

This is the worst launch ever.

Edit: Plus I have an iPad 1. I really shouldn't be fiending. I can wait. And I have $200 in Best Buy gift cards. LOL

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Why on earth would they not check? You took that for an answer?

14. MBPLurker macrumors member

Because they had probably checked 20 times already and had other things they needed to accomplish that day instead of another futile search?

If Target's system is anything like Best Buy, it will show available for items not really available. If an iPad was damaged or stolen it takes a while for the inventory team to write that item off for insurance purposes. Sometimes returned items are written back into inventory even though they need to be sent out for warranty repair before they can be sold as open items. iPads are a popular enough item right now that typically anyone with a headset in the store will know the second they have been received in the back.

15. shaft103 macrumors newbie

That is the complete opposite to my experience and many others on. I was told by 3 separate employees they had none but when they checked stock and looked magically they had one that came in overnight that no one knew about.

16. epictempo, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

epictempo macrumors regular

They're Lying

I've purchased two via driving all around town. The Target system has been the best so far. Limited Availability meant they had 1 in stock. Available meant they had 2 in stock. That's my experience in the last 5 days with 8 targets. As soon as I paid, they showed out of stock. The likely case, the employee is hiding (or stolen) it as someone else posted.

One more thing, if the one person can't find it...I'd go as far as asking the manager to search for it, that worked for me.

17. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok what do I have to do? I'm going to go there.

Tell them what? Or can I find a side aisle with the Red Checker and type in the numbers?

I'm looking for a 64GB AT&T 3G Black, so is this the DCPI number?

64GB AT&T Black: 057-10-1835

Thanks everyone. And do I need to ask for a manager? I don't want to fight but their inventory page does say "Available"

18. [G5]Hydra macrumors regular

If this is the store I think you are talking about, MK? They show available but when I was there the in-store checker shows not in stockroom but on aisle xyz. They have some old iPads but no new ones to be found. I spoke to some people in the store and they said they sold out the first day and haven't seen any since and that people keep coming in asking for them and they have to tell them the online status is wrong. The problem I see for them is that if their system works on automatic replenishment according to in-store stock they probably aren't going to get any more stock because their own internal system thinks they have stock. Who knows they could be stolen, being hoarded by employees or the stock thing could be wrong.

19. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you very much! I will not waste my time.