If there is a Subsidy, will it affect all iPhones purchased?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MegaMan1311, May 25, 2008.

1. MegaMan1311 macrumors regular

Hello.

I am wanting to purchase 3 iPhones for my family when 3G comes out.

If AT&T gives a subsidy for signing a two year contract (I am not currently with AT&T), will it give a discount on just one iPhone ($200), or all iPhones purchased ($200x3=$600)?

Also, will I even be allowed to purchase three?

Thanks in advance,
    MegaMan1311

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

If it goes like previous subsidies, it depends on if that particular line is eligible for a subsidy. So 3 brand new lines would all be eligible. As for purchasing 3, that will be determined when it comes out. The v1 iPhone was limit 1 per customer at AT&T stores at launch.

3. AppleWoW macrumors regular

AppleWoW

Most likely No. You will only be allowed to purchase one iPhone. Also to get the subsidy, im guessing, you would have to sign 3 new 2 year contracts to get the -200$ on each phone. Otherwise im thinking it would be -200$ on the first one then the others are at regular price. Just my 2 cents.

4. MegaMan1311 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm... I hope fishkorp is right about the subsidy, because I want to open up three lines under a family plan and that would give me $600 off.

I was hoping that I could buy 3 like you could if you bought the iPhones today. How long did it take after the original iPhone launchto be able to buy three?

Also, what if an iPhone goes to each person in the family (three)? It would be 1 per person then. Would that work?

Thanks
    MegaMan1311

5. neven macrumors 6502a

Just so you're not doing too much math too soon - as far as I can tell, there's a strong feeling among most people here that there will be no subsidy at all.

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

That's how AT&T subsidies on other phones go, but of course they can make changes for an iPhone (if there is any subsidy at all).

As for the 1 per person, all 3 people need to be at the store and need to buy the phone on 3 separate transactions. Again, that's how it was at launch for the first iPhone.

7. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

8. g8bo macrumors member

g8bo

a subsidy won't affect my "buy-it"-decision... it depends on the monthly fees!

9. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I would doubt that ATT would change the plans. I will be getting the 3G one as well.

10. g8bo macrumors member

g8bo

sry it seems like I made too few mistakes... i'm speaking about switzerland

11. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

If your setting up 3 lines as a Family plan, you will be able to buy the iPhones at a subsidy price because each line carries a 2 year contract.

I really cant state my source or tell you what I read but iPhone will be subsidized through AT&T.

12. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Does your source happen to be a rumor? Because I read through the rumour and, unless I read it right, it was made by the same source as false rumours last year. Some guy that said 1.5 years of free service with the iPhone I think last year has started this one from one online source.

13. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

My source is what I read from the internal documents. Thats all I can say. Sorry

Edit: Unless things change from now til the launch date.

14. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Ah....ok ;) I'm still not convinced there will be a subsidy, but hoping for one all the same.

15. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I'm hoping/praying for a subsidy as well for my 16gb iphone (soon to be.) Or else I'll just get a refurb.

16. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

You can go from AT&T store to Apple store to another store buying one iPhone at each assuming they use the same strategy of using iTunes for activation - there is no way for them to screen and prevent the subsidization of multiple lines, unless they have the subsidy be a refund type thing on your first bill - that's also assuming a highly unlikely subsidy.