Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I hear you on school funding. A couple years ago Arizona ranked 51st including Puerto Rico. It moved up a few notches, but it's still pretty bad. Both of my parents are teachers, so I get to hear a lot about it :rolleyes:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
You mean, there arn't 42 states!?!?!?!

If you don't get that, send me a message. I'll tell you to go hitchhiking though the galaxy...

DavidFDM

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2002
Maine, USA
Counterfit said:
Actually, 48 states and 2 commonwealths. :D

I think there are at least 3 commonwealths: Massachusetts, Virginia and Kentucky.

- David

edit: My bad, there are 4, add Pennsylvania to the list.

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
DavidFDM said:
I think there are at least 3 commonwealths: Massachusetts, Virginia and Kentucky.

- David

edit: My bad, there are 4, add Pennsylvania to the list.
homerjward's got a point. What about a republic, i.e., Texas or California? Are we counting thoses as states? Don't mess with Texas! California's already been messed with.

So we're down to 44 states, 4 commonwealths, 2 republics. :)

MikeLaRiviere

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
The CEO of the school is a bad man; he was fired from his job at a community college for moral misconduct. My guess is that he dislikes immigrants or Latinos and seeks to confuse. But to the original poster: don't fret, he has these schools in many states, not just California.

Mike LaRiviere

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
GeeYouEye said:
You haven't seen my AP World History Textbook from my senior year of high school. Not so much riddled with errors as much as having serious, serious omissions. In the chapters on Nazi Germany and WWII, for example, half a sentence is given to the Holocaust. It doesn't mention any specifics about it either, just that "... during which, Hitler began in earnest his Holocaust attack on the Jews." That's was the entirety of it.

There was also lots of attention paid to the American Civil War and the Great Depression in the US, but only a single paragraph on the American Revolution (the French Revolution was similarly ignored, though it got a full subchapter, from 1789-1814, so that was including Napoleon), and it was the introduction to British Empire in India.

So don't think that just because it's a reputable publisher that their work will be true to history.

Eh what did you expect it was AP US history after all, I took IB HOA, and while we did many things involving the entirety of Europe, it's focus was mainly on the effects of things in europe on americans, or goings on in south american countries. They expected you to have knowledge of it before ya got to that class :p

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Counterfit said:
But it's "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations", so we're really a state :D

Yep. But a state with a little extra, which must be noted! Hell, I bet more then 1/2 the 20 and under crowd on here doesn't even know where RI is, much less have heard of it.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
"Oh, you're from Long Island?"
"No.. I don't remember saying that.. did I say that? I'm pretty sure that wasn't what I said."
;)

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
yellow said:
"Oh, you're from Long Island?"
"No.. I don't remember saying that.. did I say that? I'm pretty sure that wasn't what I said."
;)
I met a dude from Long Island and he couldn't believe I didn't know what/where Long Island was, as if it was the center of the known universe. So I asked him if he knew where Baja California was. I think I tricked him into believing it's part of San Diego.

What I know about Rhode Island:

1) It's not an island, e.g., Hawai'i
2) It's in the New England region of the United States
3) The URI mascot is a Ram
4) "Rhode" doesn't at all sound like "Long" :D

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Ah criminy, make me dredge up ancient state history class info, circa 1983.

craigdawg said:
What I know about Rhode Island:

1) It's not an island, e.g., Hawai'i
2) It's in the New England region of the United States
3) The URI mascot is a Ram
4) "Rhode" doesn't at all sound like "Long" :D

1) Actually, Rhode Island is named for the island that Newport is on, the island is Rhode Island. And basically the rest of the state is named for Providence and it's Plantations (i.e., the rest of the state). It's a little confusing.
2) Damn right! 214 years as a state and we still haven't been conquered and absorbed by Connecticut or Massachusetts.
3) Yep. My home town.
4) True, but people usually focus on "island".

macsrus

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2004
Terra Firma
yellow said:
Ah criminy, make me dredge up ancient state history class info, circa 1983.

1) Actually, Rhode Island is named for the island that Newport is on, the island is Rhode Island. And basically the rest of the state is named for Providence and it's Plantations (i.e., the rest of the state). It's a little confusing.
2) Damn right! 214 years as a state and we still haven't been conquered and absorbed by Connecticut or Massachusetts.
3) Yep. My home town.
4) True, but people usually focus on "island".

hehe now if there was ever a town I mean state..........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.