Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
As WWDC is coming near, If they do announce nMP, what type of customers do you think are they targeting for? FCPX users still? Or are they reaching out to people who use other programs like some 3d programs? Healthcare?Scientists? Photographers/Artists?

When I was first introduced to mac pro..(G5), I remember seeing people doing some fascinating stuff like Adobe products, film making, music...etc. As the time has changed dramatically...would this be a niche product?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Hard to say without seeing what it is.

But Phil Schiller said the new Mac Pro was the design for the next 10 years, so I imagine it will continue to be what it is now, just updated.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
As WWDC is coming near, If they do announce nMP, what type of customers do you think are they targeting for? FCPX users still? Or are they reaching out to people who use other programs like some 3d programs? Healthcare?Scientists? Photographers/Artists?

When I was first introduced to mac pro..(G5), I remember seeing people doing some fascinating stuff like Adobe products, film making, music...etc. As the time has changed dramatically...would this be a niche product?
so which was it, a Mac Pro or a G5? ;)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Target is people who bought the 6,1
+1

I wonder, however:
  • Is the target people who have the MP6,1 for what it can do and need to upgrade for a bit more?
  • Or is the target people who bought the MP6,1 because it was shiny and will immediately grab an MP7,1 because it's shinier?
Many of Apple's product updates seem to aim for the latter.

https://www.facebook.com/shinycomputers

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Target is people who bought the 6,1
Based on what you said, it sounds like it's gonna be another "disposable" computer.
[doublepost=1464744128][/doublepost]
+1

I wonder, however:
  • Is the target people who have the MP6,1 for what it can do and need to upgrade for a bit more?
  • Or is the target people who bought the MP6,1 because it was shiny and will immediately grab an MP7,1 because it's shinier?
Many of Apple's product updates seem to aim for the latter.

https://www.facebook.com/shinycomputers
Those are good questions. Probably.....shiny thing. I don't know to be quite honest, but it may be another "disposable" computer (meaning unable to upgrade GPU).

Reactions: antonis

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
VR Content Producers should be a new target, maybe machine learningsince it's an area to develope for use on multiple platforms: iOS, IoT, Manufacture, and Old dogs as Data Mining.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Unless Apple is going to make the GPUs of the next model backwards compatible to ensure ongoing spares for burnouts in the 6,1, It wouldn't surprise me to see Apple adopt an iPhone-like 3-year (average refresh / Applecare cycle) continuous lease program for the Mac Pro going forward, that could get them a stock of refurb parts for what are low volume, and probably relatively low spare availability machines.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
VR Content Producers should be a new target, maybe machine learningsince it's an area to develope for use on multiple platforms: iOS, IoT, Manufacture, and Old dogs as Data Mining.
Apple has so far remained on the sidelines with the burgeoning VR market, their machines just not powerful enough to drive the goggles. This may be one way Apple gets their foot in the door.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Apple has so far remained on the sidelines with the burgeoning VR market, their machines just not powerful enough to drive the goggles. This may be one way Apple gets their foot in the door.
Question: is this going to be one of those "disposable" product? Meaning un-upgradeable like GPU?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

I think it's far too easy to produce a VR ready computer now. Just need some mid to top end hardware to achieve that.

If there is a 7,1, it's hard to believe that none of the 7,1 can be config to drive the VR. However, IMO, even Apple use "1st VR Ready Mac" as a selling point on 7,1, it may still only means VR ready on the spec, but totally lack of software support.

Reactions: owbp

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Apple knows that many cMP owners were not convinced to switch to 6,1 in 2013. I assume that they hope the last of them will eventually go for the 7,1 now.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Apple knows that many cMP owners were not convinced to switch to 6,1 in 2013. I assume that they hope the last of them will eventually go for the 7,1 now.

Yeah, hopefully they spend 3 years to figure out the "why" and make the 7,1 a real replacement for the 5,1.

Now, almost all Apple products has difference size / spec for different user demand (iPhone SE vs Plus, iPad /mini / Pro, Apple Watch 38 vs 42mm, iMac 21.5 vs 27", MacBook / Air / Pro with few differences size). Why they can't just make the tower and the cylinder exist at the same time? Just like the MacBook and the MacBook Pro.

In fact, the iPhone SE makes me believe that they have no more new idea. Only want to use their current stuff to squeeze out every single cents from the public. And willing to go backward (from 4.7 and 5.5" back to 4"). If they go backward on the Mac Pro case (and didn't cancel the 6,1), I think it will make lots of Mac Pro user happy.

Of course, I don't think it will really happen, but it's not totally impossible either.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

If the 6,1 wasn't acceptable to someone, I don't see why a 7,1 would be (assuming similar design). But I guess we'll see.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
How could Apple determine this? Where would they get the information?

It seems not too hard for them. If they can determine the new OSX, iOS, iPhone adoption rate (I never find out how they do the stat, but occationally see this kind of data on magazines), I will assume they can determine the new Mac Pro adaption rate as well. Of course, the number may be inaccurate, but it's possible.

E.g. If the Apple server can ident a computer every time when the machine connect to it (e.g. via AppStore). Then they can have some rough figure (e.g. the cMP vs nMP of downloading El Capitan ratio is about 1:1, then it means half or more cMP user still refuse to adopt to the nMP, etc).

Of course, this kind of stat may not even done by Apple. But I will be very surprise if Apple didn't monitor their products' adoption rate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.