If they don't release MBPs for a month or more, do you expect more/better features?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CBedo, Feb 12, 2010.

1. CBedo macrumors newbie

If Apple pushes this MBP refresh out much further than normal, would you expect more than just a processor upgrade when they do launch? Just wondering if a longer than normal cycle would disappoint you more if it doesn't come with new or very upgraded features?

2. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

A 1650x1050 screen would be nice but I expect a new GPU since the 9600m GT is more than a generation old now. USB3.0 ports would also be great but I don't expect to see that.

3. smithmax13 macrumors member

The longer they take to update the computers, the more people are going to hype them up. Very few people are going to be completely satisfied with the update.

4. badpinoy macrumors regular

are you kidding me? Apple is pretty far behind when it comes to standard features. How long did it take them to get simple MMS on the iPhone? when its was around for like more than 10 years. What about SD card readers? Don't get me wrong apple does a lot of good things. that other companies haven't thought of. But the simple standard things take years and years for apple to catch on too.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Totally agreed. People/media will hype it up...for no reason and then the consumer will not be satisfied...for no reason. Maybe in the PowerPC days but even more after switching the Intel, Apple never had hardware that was on par or never had the hardware that was ahead of the competition/Windows PC's. Apple is going to do what they've always done. Upgrade the CPU to the current architecture whether it be i3, i5 or i7 and then add a better than average GPU, call it their refreshed lineup and call it a day. The only thing to even get excited about is the CPU other than that, I don't see Apple making drastic changes such as higher resolution on the 15".

6. stgben macrumors newbie

You may be right but using this logic, at what point would Apple have introduced the unibody MBP? They could have gone the easy route and just updated the CPU/GPU, right?

7. coolmacguy macrumors regular

Fixed. :D

8. Winters macrumors member

It would be nice if they could put an ips screen on the mbp as well.

9. moonwalk macrumors member

Apple actually has been paring features from the Pro, eg no expresscard slot on the 15", and so on. Steve Jobs has always wanted the Mac to be an appliance, with few ports or points of access. Enter iPad.

10. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

I'll be disappointed if they don't up the screen resolution on at least the 15". 1440x900 is so 2005. Give us 1680x1050 please Steve. And forego the 16:9 aspect ratio too; leave that to the iMacs. :p

11. theydonotmove macrumors member

theydonotmove

I would like to see USB 3.0 on their laptops across the board. This is vital, if they don't then it'll be one more point that microsoft can take cheapshots at. "double the price for last decades technology" or something.

What i think is going to happen is that the macbook will cease to be sold. The macbook pro's will just be macbooks, and the ipad will replace the Macbook Air as apple's ultimate portable solution.

I would like to see express card slots on all Macbook Pro's as well.

12. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Does anyone know if there might be some space for extra RAM slots? I heard a whisper that they are going iMac route with easy upgrade to 8GB; I called BS, because, from what I understand things are fairly jam packed inside already. Still, got me thinking though.

13. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

This makes no sense at all. The white Macbook was just given a rather impressive unibody-upgrade - why would Apple invest in a completely new enclosure if they planned to eliminate the product in question? They already sufficiently pared down the Macbook line in summer by turning the aluminium Macbooks into MBPs (which was ridiculous).

Also, I think it's important for Apple to have at least one sub $1000-machine in their lineup.

14. xelentoliver macrumors newbie

xelentoliver

No BIG changes...

From what I have heard I reckon there will only be internal changes, Apple might put in an Intel i5 or even i7 processor in the MBPs but don't expect any external changes. I am almost certain that it will look the same because they updated the looks early last year.
    These are only my opinions based on what I have heard from rumour sites and forums.
    Hope this helps ;)

15. cronin1024 macrumors newbie

If they don't release MBPs for a month or more, I expect I'll get a PC instead.

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you're specifically referring to the design, I wouldn't consider that an "upgrade"; it doesn't make a user complete tasks faster, all it does it update the look and make it more modern. Heck, I know some of the regulars here don't even like the unibody look and prefer the last-generation look.

17. SecretAsianMan macrumors member

My favorite remains the TiBook.

18. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Zing! You reminded me of what I said when a Genius at my local Apple store told me (paraphrased) "If you hadn't been under warranty, you would have had to pay $XXXX or get a new Mac," to which I replied, "...or just buy a PC."

I'd be tempted to do the same thing.

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    The longer they leave it the move I'll expect USB 3.0, and maybe even Blue Ray RW. I was against BR in the new MBPs until recently when I saw sub 700 dollar laptops with BR drives..

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Agreed. To this day, the MacBook is still Apple's best selling Mac. It would make zero sense to discontinue it. Sure the 13" MacBook Pro is more affordable, but more and more students are opting for the 13" MacBook. I don't see that changing anytime soon.