If they removed the lightning jack...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryanwarsaw, Dec 15, 2016.

1. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

So it is a bit slow around here today. I was reading another thread and the idea of removing the lightning jack when the phone goes to wireless charging. Now maybe the idea is far fetched but the point of the thread is how would they be able to do it with syncing?

I just deleted around 50 GB of music and all of my photos on my 7+. I am syncing it via wifi and it looks like it is going to take around 18 hours judging by the current rate. So if there was no port of any kind how would they deal with this?

I was thinking about it and looked at my phone and the space for music is allocated and the album lists are inside of it already. The list of artists and albums are also already there but the music is obviously unavailable it has just been indexed is all.

My theory is maybe using a combination of BT and wifi they could allow you to play content on demand? So if you go to play a song the sync will automatically put that to the front of the sync through either means?

So if I am syncing and want to play Bob Dylan. When I click on that album the wifi begins to sync the song I am playing and presumably the entire album or artist while I am on that particular artist?

Thus effectively getting around the fact the syncs will take so long by allowing the user to listen to anything on demand? Same with photos and anything else?

I back up locally and not to iCloud so have no idea if iCloud offers a better solution? Is it possible the new BT5 standard would become useful?

Again I am not saying the should pull the jack but it seems like they would probably do that at some point so just thinking of how it would likely work if they did? Just bored art home and thinking out loud, pardon me if it is a dumb question. :)

2. ShubhamBhatia macrumors member

how would they install ios originally? otherwise this is a nice thing to do. synching is not a big prob they can optimise the speed with better wifi or bluetooth connection.

3. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Not sure. I am guessing they could somehow load the OS onto the chip when they install it? I guess they could put the chip into an old school sort of iPhone and install the OS and then remove it place it in the new device? I have no idea how it would work.

4. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

They will suggest slow wifi syncing while nudging you to use Apple Music instead.

5. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I expect that Apple will attempt to do that some day (probably stupidly soon). They seem to be hung up on thin light phones even if function is removed. Wireless charging, wireless earphones,etc. So who cares if people don't want wireless. All but 1 carplay manufactures require wired plug in but Apple won't care.
    They'll come up with some device that will allow wireless iTunes syncing.
    I'd rather have a bigger phone with ports but then I'm not Apple.

6. freepomme macrumors 6502a

Hahahaa (ʃƪ¬‿¬) DO IT. I say do it. Everyone should be for this. Nope, don't say no! Yall stood up for removing the headphone jack, BACK THIS! Remove the lightning jack too!

You have to support this, you just have to! Otherwise you'd be a hypocrite!

7. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

I don't think they will ever remove all methods of direct i/o. They may remove the lightning jack, but only to replace it with something more modern at the time.

8. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Right now that would be USB-C i suppose. This would only make it easier to hook it to Macs with a cable. I suspect they might probably just ship with lightning to USB-C cables in the mean time.

After thinking about it I don't think loading an OS would be any kind of problem. However I don't think increasing wifi syncing speeds as is trivial as one poster would suggest. I think there could be a work around in the short term but if they could make wifi transfers go ten times faster I would be impressed.

I could see trying to restore the phone maybe a problem. It would need a way to recover itself with out the need to be hooked to the mother ship. Major problems would probably require taking into a store.

That scenario and slow sinking and charging seems to be the only challenges to removing the jack. I am guessing it will happen with in the next 5 years.

Again this thread starts with the assumption the jack is gone just for the sake of conversation. It isn't something I feel strongly about but just idle speculation.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

A lot of people use their phone without ever plugging it into a computer, so it would work. Not everyone would like it, but you could sync it overnight. Also Apple might be able to have some sort of proprietary high speed wireless sync that you plug something similar to the charging mats that are currently used for wireless charging into your computer and sync from there.

10. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

The only trouble I can see is the first sync being slow. My wifi sync took over 12 hours for around 70GB so I can imagine people who have 256GB of content. Incremental syncs don't pose any problem after that.

Although if you wanted to dump 10GB in of music later on at one time it would be a wait. That's what made me conclude it could be gotten around with prioritized syncing. Hit the TV show or song you want to listen to right now and it moves to the front of the queue.

Although currently it would still take around 48 hours to sync 256GB. So maybe this is the easiest solution... the phone would only be sold on Fridays so you can take the entire weekend at home to sync it. These days with Apple nothing seems to be too audacious for them. :)

11. SpazzyMac macrumors regular

SpazzyMac

sounds like your Wifi is slow.

at home I Can sync 20gb in 15 minutes or less.
    that's with Wireless AC

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't see Apple getting rid of Lightning - and its associated licensing revenue - and replacing it with an open standard.

13. ryanwarsaw thread starter macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

It is probably the internal network from my crappy ISP provided router. It works good enough for Airplay and streaming so never been bothered by it. The external connection is about as quick as it comes in this country.

Although at some point if you cut all cords you have to take into account some people don't have the fastest networks. Although Apple is known for assuming you are in Cupertino or NYC with a fibre connection.

I remember when I lived in Laos and it they dropped using the discs for installing the newest OS. It would take my crappy quasi-3G connection like 30 hours to download it and if there was a small power outage or the net went down for a short time start over again. Good times. :)

First world problems get magnified in third world countries.

Interesting about your sync speeds but there would be a lot of people out there that wouldn't have those speeds. In order for it to work even a caveman has to be able to sync in less than 6 hours with out doing anything but clicking the sync button. Otherwise the amount of complaining would be immense.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 16, 2016 ---
    On the phone I don't see any reason for them to do so. USB-C takes more space and as far as I know offers no advantage to the iPhone. they just need to put a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box to hook to Macs. That would push the burden of dongles on to people with older computers.

14. Applejuiced, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think eventually they will remove the screen completely. Renderings and user interface will happen telepathically via brain waves.

15. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Replace it with a hidden port like the Apple Watch.

16. macTW macrumors 65816

I sense the sarcasm haha... But a counter to that, is audio listening is one thing, while OS updates/movies/photos/music transferring is another. I enjoy using bluetooth headphones, but I'm probably in the minority by saying I back my phone up with iTunes, download old music I have from iTunes, sync photos onto my laptop, download movies, and more all through my computer, plugged in via lightning.

One can support wireless listening of audio without supporting wireless everything else.

17. MrJM macrumors 6502

MrJM

The use once iPhone 8! Once the battery is dead you cannot charge it!

18. freepomme macrumors 6502a

You have to go completely wireless! If not, then the hypocrisy is blatant!

19. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

If they can make it thinner, they don't care about what negative impact there is for the customer. Apple has shown this to be the case for years now.

20. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

IoT is so vulnerable, insecure that having Bluetooth 5 will have more opportunities for malicious exploits with its greater range and bandwidth.

So watch what you wish for.

I have a phone with USB-c and I hope more phones adopt it. Also fast wireless charging as with Galaxy S7. I never connect iPhone to mac. My mac has USB-c and I have a cable with lightning to USB-c.

Faulty cables and chargers on Amazon is huge problem and they will be cracking down. But no wired option? No tx

21. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

I think there gonna offer wireless charging on the iPhone 8 but I think there still gonna have a lightning port to charge in the car and if you just don't want to use wireless charging. I think they will keep the lightning port.

22. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

You seem to be wrong quite a bit on this site, wrong about the Airpods, wrong about future predictions, wrong about Apple and misinforming other forum members in general. It's obvious where it keeps getting you every time. Clearly some never learn from their mis-steps.