if they were free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by luckydcxx, Feb 24, 2014.

?

What would the world choose if all of the devices were FREE?

1. iPhone

63 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. Android

8 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Something else (BB, Windows, etc.)

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. luckydcxx, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

It's a fact the most of the world uses android but I believe this is because almost all of the android phones are much cheaper and it is just what people can afford.

I was wondering that if every single person on earth was given the opportunity to walk into a room and choose from either an FREE android phone (samsung, htc, nexus, etc.) or a FREE iPhone what would they choose?

I think that most of the world would choose a free iPhone and the only reason that they do not own one now is because of the price. What do you guys think?

2. I7guy macrumors G5

3. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Blackberry. They are so good. Fast, smooth, just plain awesomeness.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Just as it is now there isn't one solution that is best for all.

5. luckydcxx thread starter macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

you are correct, but do you think that iPhone would have the highest market share if they were free?

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Cost may be one reason that people go with Android, but there are other reasons.

I think you'd see a pretty even distribution between iOS devices and Android devices.

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The problem with that thinking is that a lot of the Androids are still $99 and $199 on-contract. So the same whichever way. Plus a lot of people went Android because of the bigger screen.

But for the most part, yes, people would rather have the cheap iPhone than the cheap Android. Same with the iPad.

8. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

People who own the higher end handsets (iphone, galaxy, etc) aren't buying based on price. So getting it for free wouldn't really change their mind. And the majority of people here use iPhones. So your poll is going to be skewed & predictible. It's gonna end up 95% iPhone, 3% android, & 2% other.

9. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

This may be the most biased place you could possibly post a poll like this

10. MvdM macrumors regular

Some would still prefer the bigger screens. If Apple made bigger phones for the same price as others, they would easily win. It can't be the OS why people choose something different than an iPhone.

11. luckydcxx thread starter macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

it's not a scientific poll, its just to see what people think. this is the only site that i have access to to post a poll. its just for fun.

12. cynics macrumors G4

Tough question really. Depends on circumstances. If my iPhone was taken away then someone asked me I'd definitely get the iPhone.

If I just landed on planet earth and never used either. I'd probably go with an Android phone. Comparing specs (that matter to me) it's a clear choice.

It's not until I use the iPhone with the rest of my Apple products and with friends and family (iMessage, FaceTime, etc) that I begin to really appreciate it.

Asking just in the board sense I'd imagine most would go with the iPhone. More as a luxury item or fashion statement then anything.

13. rockitdog, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

rockitdog macrumors 68020

This would work better if you named specific phones. Depending on what the new Galaxy S5 looks like today I might say an S5 over my current 5S.

At this point, it won't take much for me switch allegiances. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have accepted a free Android if you gave me one under any circumstances. At this point, the fact that my wife has an iPhone and my daughter has an iPod touch is what keeps me here so I can facetime them. The camera is nice too though ;)

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'd probably go for another BlackBerry. I like the keyboards.

15. AppleRobert macrumors 603

How can they be free when there are different sizes, specs, etc.

I would just go with whatever one I feel is the best. Bet lots of folks would not mind a Note 3 if the size does not turn them off!

16. CEmajr macrumors 601

If they were free then worldwide marketshare between the two closer to equal no doubt. A huge chunk of that Android marketshare (probably even the majority) is made up of the cheaper phones, some of which are almost like feature phones that can browse the web. There is a reason why most Android OEMs don't even announce the sales numbers for their high end flagships.

Using the car analogy is cliche but I feel that it applies here. Sure we would all choose the Porsche if it were free, but due to cost most will accept the cheaper Corolla because it offers similar performance for much less money.

The US market gives a slight glimpse into this because at most major carriers, iPhones can be had for $99/$199 out of pocket but even then there are some carriers and situations where it's simply cheaper to have a cheaper Android phone such as MVNOs, prepaids, and T-Mobile. So the overall market is closer to price parity here than much of the rest of the world due to subsidizing. As a result the iPhone has something like 49% marketshare.

17. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

I'm not saying it to hate on the forum or anything it's just that your going to get very obvious results

18. osx11 macrumors 6502a

There are already (dumb) people who think their phone was 'free,' and fail to see that it's part of the $80+/month charge.

19. Haserath macrumors newbie

I'd take an iPhone so I could sell it new.

I'm over the smartphone thing now. The only reason I'd use one is GPS, which is a much smaller one time purchase.

I like my phone to last for a long time.

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If everyone was given a new phone of their choice, for free, how much value do you think an iPhone would have over an Android phone or any other phone for that matter?

21. wb123 macrumors newbie

Its just the price which stops me having an iPhone at present. The software in my line of work simply doesn't exist in a usefully supported form for android so I make do bluetoothing my iPad to a dumbphone. An iPhone would be far more convenient but not £470 more convenient.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

yes and no. The perfect example is the nexus 5. Many people buy that over the iphone b.c it is half the price if they go the contract free route. I would be willing to bet a lot of those people would buy a similar priced iphone over the n5.

23. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Free iPhone - but I used to love my android devices and then tried an iPhone and never went back

24. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

don't see how price would effect this considering you have to pay for all of them now and 90% of us here choose iPhone.

25. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

As already mentioned, anyone who owns a note 3 or a galaxy s4 could have easily bought an iphone and so are unlikely to change.

I'd take a note 3 running that KitKat goodness! :cool: