iPad mini If This Is Your First iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleRobert, Dec 1, 2012.

1. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Nov 12, 2012
    Opinions sought for what you like or dislike about the device itself and the same for IOS.

Start your engines! Thanks.
  2. stickybuns macrumors 6502

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm still waiting for my iPad Mini to be delivered, but here's what I liked about the Mini itself and Apple/iOS/iPad in general:

Features: I've justified this little splurge on myself because of features that will--with any luck--work well in a classroom. I want to be able to take photographs of student papers with the rear-facing camera and then wirelessly beam them to the classroom projection screen.

The Apple Store: I'm not much of a techie; although, I'm certainly no luddite. I'm sure that Android offers the features that I need, but Apple offers a place that I can visit and ask how to do various tasks (see above).

Ecosystem: I chose an iOS device in general because I absolutely love my MacBook Air and my iPhone, and I wanted something that would play well with these devices.

Weight: I had been hemming and hawing over buying a full-sized iPad ever since they came out. Like I mentioned above, I want something to use inside a classroom, and I'm doubtful that I would want to walk around with something that weighs over a pound. If it was just going to sit on my desk, I may as well stick with my MBA. The moment that I picked up the Mini, I could actually picture myself walking around a classroom with it.

Aesthetics and Form: It may be shallow to focus on looks before specs, but I'm drawn to things that I find to be attractive. I love that the Mini has a nearly 8 inch screen in a body that's about the same size as a 7 inch Kindle Fire; I very much dislike the thick bezels on some of the other small tablets that I've seen.

Display: I would love to have a retina quality screen but not if it means making sacrifices in terms of weight or battery life; nevertheless, the ppi of the Mini is still better than my MBA, which serves my needs just fine. It would be nice to have but not a deal breaker.