If Touch connects to network, Network = reset. wtf?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Earendil, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

So, my internet connection comes in via ethernet port (PPPoE) into a Mac Mini.

Mac Mini = Core 2 Duo, 2ghz running 10.6.2

Mac Mini is sharing the internet connection from PPPoE to Airport.

128 and 40 bit passwords of both 5 and 13 char have been tried.

No matter what I do, when I try and connect to the network with my fully upgraded unhacked iPod Touch, the network resets[Edit: By network, I mean the wireless network, not the PPoE connection].
    Once it resets, it comes back to life. Once it comes back to life, the iPod attempts to connect again. When it connects, the network resets again, etc etc etc.

I've been around the network configuring block a number of times. I've even shared 56K modem connections over wireless before. But this one completely baffles me!

Help? I'll accept far fetch shot in the dark style advice at this point. Anything!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Is the internet dying for all of the machines on the network? Or just for the iPod?

3. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

I have no other machines on the network.

However, I can watch the airport icon on my Mac Mini go from the "Sharing internet" icon to the "on but not connected to anything" icon.

The internet connection on the Mini works the entire time.

The iPod Touch never gets to a point where it can access the internet, even for a second.

4. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

It has to do with your modem because i had the same problem with that when i tried connecting to skype on my ipod touch using dsl while with my cable modem works perfectly. so your best bet would to call your internet provider.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Internet sharing is notoriously unreliable; how about you get a proper router, hook the Ethernet cable from the modem into the router, set it up for PPPoE and then have it broadcast a network your iPod touch can join? Too, there are LAN ports on most decent routers that will still let you get a hardwired connection for you mac mini.

6. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but that doesn't sound like it's the same problem. My internet connection continues to perform perfectly. It's the wireless network that is hosted by the Mac Mini that goes bonkers upon my Touch trying to connect to it. This is not true if I host a regular network, just a "shared internet" network.

I'll do some more trouble shooting tonight to see if I can eliminate a few more things.

7. Earendil thread starter macrumors 68000

Earendil

Yes, well having a computer host an internet enabled wireless network is the poor man's option, right? And I'm a poor man :)
    Okay, not exactly, but it's a new place, and I really want my next purchase to be an airport express so that I can get my music up to my stereo. I was hoping to use the airport express to extend the Mac Mini network, thus flooding my small two story place with good internet.

However it looks like, if I go this route, I'm going to need to buy a traditional wireless router (you're right, most work as an ethernet hub as well), and do research to find out if I can get an airport express mixed in there with full functionality. Blah!

This is becoming both more complicated and more expensive than I had originally intended.

Still, I know this Mac Mini has shared an ethernet (LAN internet) connection over wireless, and also done the same thing in reverse. For a short time in college my Mini was the wireless HUB for a half dozen windows and OSX machines and that worked well.

Unless it has something to do with routing the PPPoE signal to the wireless, I don't understand what gives. I'm in technology, I understand fluky, but that doesn't mean I let it ride as a good excuse for broken functionality :)