Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I have True Tone on and have upped the brightness once or twice. I can almost swear when I checked later or the next day, the brightness slider was lowered. Is this how it is supposed to work? So if I want high brightness, I have to turn True Tone off?

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
you probably have Auto Brightness turned on.

Settings-> General-> Accessibility-> Display Accommodations-> Auto Brightness (toggle)

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
you probably have Auto Brightness turned on.

Settings-> General-> Accessibility-> Display Accommodations-> Auto Brightness (toggle)
Thanks! Now the whites really are bright! I wonder why that toggle is hidden in a deep sub-menu.

nycxaxez

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
The theory behind Apple burying the auto-brightness toggle is that having high brightness on all the time may increase the likelihood of burn-in on the screen. Under the toggle in Settings, it seems like Apple has added “long-term display performance” to the explanation under what could be affected by turning off auto-brightness.

9850846C-4C35-430D-B216-1391CD4F8E5E.jpeg

AintDutchNotMuch

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2015
The Netherlands
Thanks! Now the whites really are bright! I wonder why that toggle is hidden in a deep sub-menu.

I think it's 'hidden' because Apple wants to encourage customers to keep using it. Since a month or so I decided to finally use auto brightness for the first time ever, and I have to say it's very convenient, works amazingly well and has definitely improved my battery life.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I think it's 'hidden' because Apple wants to encourage customers to keep using it. Since a month or so I decided to finally use auto brightness for the first time ever, and I have to say it's very convenient, works amazingly well and has definitely improved my battery life.
Yeah but I kinda hate auto brightness. But now it looks like Apple is trying to scare us with burn in, with out explicitly saying it(Long term performance as above). Decision, decisions...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.