If u "re-open windows when logging in" before switching user accounts does it use RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

You have the option before turning off your Mac or switching user accounts to "re-open windows when logging in."

I was wondering if that will use RAM if you choose that option.

Thanks in advance :apple:

2. meson macrumors regular

It essentially copies the information that is in RAM to your hard drive/ssd. Then when you restart or log in again, it reads that info from the disk and reopens necessary windows/applications.

While you are logged out, it isn't keeping that info stored in RAM, but it does use a little extra disk space.

If you have a traditional spinning HDD, this feature is cumbersome, as it takes quite a while to read the contents back into ram and launch the needed apps, but with an SSD, it became a bit more user friendly as the read from disk into ram is nearly instantaneous.

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

So I guess my question is, will it be faster if I do not re-open windows after logging out or turning off my Mac?

I have a late 2013 MBPr 2.6/8/256

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No

I don't see how it'll be any faster than opening up everything again if thats what you need when you open when you start it. And that is a pretty damn rapid little laptop anyway 1/2 a second here or there really will not make any difference.

5. meson macrumors regular

With the rMBP, you have an SSD, so you won't have to wait extended periods for your system to become responsive with this feature turned on. If you need to dig through the finder to open up what you need, then, yes your stuff will open faster, as the machine doesn't have to wait for you to find what you want.

I keep the feature turned off because I don't like the idea of allowing the next person to start the machine to see what I was working on the last time I logged out, even if they are family. I also find it annoying when I start an app and it opens the last document I was working on, even if I choose a new project at the time.