If upgrading: what are you doing with your old iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LagFighter, Oct 3, 2011.

?

What are you doing with your old iPhone?

1. Selling it to someone else on eBay / Craigslist

17 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Selling it to a website (Amazon, Gazelle)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Giving it away to a family member / friend

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  4. Keeping it as a trophy

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. Recycling it at the Apple Store

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LagFighter, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

LagFighter macrumors regular

Wondering for my sake.

I've sold my previous phone in the transitions from iPhone (the original) -> iPhone 3GS, and last year from 3GS -> 4. Both sales actually made me enough money to buy the new iPhone with spare change.

Where are you selling? When are you selling? How much are you selling it for? Are you passing it off to a family member or friend?

If you're selling it, are you going to sell it now or after you get the new one? If before, how are you going to survive without a phone for a while?

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

My wife will be taking over my old i4. She's tired of her windows phone.

3. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I take good enough care of my phones that I'm usually able to cover the cost of upgrading by selling my old phone on eBay.

4. egonpax macrumors 6502

Basically the same as me. My wife will take my i4. She's currently using my ANCIENT 3G because her Mytouch Slide broke down. She's just as excited about my new iphone as I am.

5. LagFighter thread starter macrumors regular

Do you typically clean it first? Any tips for someone looking to sell on eBay?

I was thinking of putting a starting price of $299 and having a buy-it-now option of $400 for my flawless iPhone 4 32 GB Black AT&T. I'll probably include my OtterBox and old Bumper to sweeten the deal.

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Sold it on craigslist. Crazy that a for something I had over a year, you can still almost double what you originally paid for it.

The wife has a 3GS so, she's getting a new iPhone as well.

7. LagFighter thread starter macrumors regular

I would worry about selling on Craigslist because of the inherent dangers associated with it. I suppose that's anywhere, though.

8. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

9. madridista59 macrumors regular

both my niece and nephew have been asking for it. the niece is older so she'll get it lol :D

10. Qoo macrumors 6502

11. LagFighter thread starter macrumors regular

What are you going to do without a phone for a while? I don't think I could live for a week without a phone.

12. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I do. I use some iKlear and clean the outside then blow the headphone jack, speakers, and dock connector with compressed air. Then after a restore box it up and ship it. That sounds like a good price. I would set a reserve and buyer restrictions just to keep yourself safe. Also request signature confirmation upon delivery. I've never had any trouble with PayPal/eBay but I'm still careful.

13. LagFighter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I'll definitely be cleaning it up quite a bit before shipping it out.

I've got to have my folks ship me the box and original peripherals, since they're at home and I'm at college. In any case, that's probably what I'm going to end up doing.

Are you going to sell your phone before or after the announcement?

14. songa macrumors newbie

i dont understand why most ppl don't do this! apple products have the best resale value...what other product can you buy brand new at the store and sell for $100 more on ebay the same day? I've been getting free iPhone upgrades for years now...

15. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

I'm using my old Blackberry until the 5 comes out. It's going to suck, but it's worth getting the extra cash to be paid towards the upgrade.

16. whawhat macrumors 6502

Will be holding onto my 3G just in case I ever lose or break my new iPhone 5.

17. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

Since I'm gonna have 2 iPhone 4s after the new iPhone comes out (mine and my gf's) I'm either gonna give both of them to family members. If they don't want them I'll sell one and keep the other as a developer device.