Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
The numbers don't support such a claim.

1) Verizon and Sprint had their 3G networks rolled out while AT&T was still just boosting nationwide EDGE speed for the first iPhone.

2) Verizon and Sprint 3G coverage is much larger than AT&T's.

Those are facts, not opinions.

There will, of course, be exceptions where you don't have coverage, but overall the USA CDMA carriers simply don't need as much WiFi backup.

You must work for Verizon. All these posts backing up big Red. Seems rather suspicious to me.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I already have Verizon and probably won't change because their coverage is excellent in my area.

If Verizon offered the iPhone, then I would definitely switch... my phone that is ;)

Konz

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Honestly, who uses much data on Verizon? Blackberry owners? HTC Touch owners?

I doubt any of them use half the data of a normal iPhone user, so is it fair to compare the networks when one probably deals with a significantly larger amount of data transfer?

I guess it's possible for Verizon to rival AT&T's data usage due to sheer numbers, but then how would they deal with a few million iPhone users being added to their network?

kdarling

macrumors P6
You must work for Verizon. All these posts backing up big Red. Seems rather suspicious to me.

You must work for AT&T. All those posts against Verizon, using outright misinformation. Only a troll or astroturfer would do that.

:rolleyes:

I'm actually a Sprint fan. But I have more experience with and knowledge of Verizon. They're not the same as they were even a year ago. Nor is Sprint. Old AT&T fanboy myths have no place in a proper discussion.

christyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Salt Lake
I would consider it.
Had Verizon about 4 years ago, dropped calls more often than I do now with AT&T. But it's supposively gotten better...

I just was fed up with Verizon after taking my cell to Colorado where I was getting married to find out there was NO coverage anywhere in Estes Park. A non working cell phone 2 days before a destination wedding = bad :\

And we will be relocating out to the CO area in the next year - year and a half so obviously I'd want whoever now had the best coverage out there.

Verizon won't see an iphone any time soon though, so doesn't really matter :)

They claimed I had unlimted data on my plan but at the end of the month I ge a $400 bill in the mail for barely what you would call light browesing. Like under 30megabytes in one month. And while I realize verizon is no longer bogging down smartphones they still don't have a variety of phones with wifi and still charge for GPS. On top of that there's a UMTS node b like 700feet from my house/school and my dads AT&T phone gets 5 bars of 3G, all my friends are also getting like max download speeds on there iphones too.

Well as far as the bill goes I average about 250 meg a month of data alone and have not gotten charged anything extra. So I would have to say thats got to be a freak accident

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I've always been very weary of Verizon's wireless service. I'd consider it I suppose if the price was cheaper, mainly in minutes since I barely use the Phone functionality of my iPhone. :) It would also need to have the ability to roam internationally with either reasonable prices or a local carrier's SIM card. :)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Verizon's service in NC is quite terrible from what I have seen. People have coverage (or so says their phone) but they get dropped calls all the time. AT&T is fine, not the greatest but if iPhone came to Sprint I would switch back, probably even paying the ETF, considering I would make it back in plan savings in under 6 months...

Jhanson09

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
kansas city, mo
The numbers don't support such a claim.

1) Verizon and Sprint had their 3G networks rolled out while AT&T was still just boosting nationwide EDGE speed for the first iPhone.

2) Verizon and Sprint 3G coverage is much larger than AT&T's.

Those are facts, not opinions.

There will, of course, be exceptions where you don't have coverage, but overall the USA CDMA carriers simply don't need as much WiFi backup.

maybe when the 3g networks were just coming out. I believe ATT's 3g network is pretty close to the same size as sprint or Vzw's now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.