If we are picking up our iPhone at the Apple Store, do we have to activate in store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Photography, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

1. Does anyone know if we're replacing an existing iPhone on our Verizon 2 year contract by paying full price and we did store pickup, when we pick it up in store, do we have to actually activate the iPhone 6+ in store, or can we wait to activate it when we get home? Do they just scan the barcode on the box and it transfers our number?

2. Also, would we need to switch SIM cards, or how does this work?

2. Photography thread starter macrumors 65816

Photography

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Usually they want to, but I've been able to convince them to just let me go before.

AT&T is stricter on that

4. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

No, Apple retail stores don't require activation in store. You can walk out with a factory sealed iPhone.

5. Photography thread starter macrumors 65816

Photography

So when they let you go, you were able to activate it at home just fine?

----------

How will it link the iPhone to our existing phone number if the iPhone's still sealed in the box?

6. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Yes. You must activate in-store, with photo ID. The NSA will need to complete its remote inspection of your electronic devices, and a background check.

7. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

Insert your existing Sim card?

I ordered a 6+ using my sisters line. I will pop my sim card into the phone and have it as mine.

8. Photography thread starter macrumors 65816

Photography

I knew it. :p

9. wannabepcuser macrumors member

I paid full price for my vzw 5s last December and told the Apple Store genius I would activate it myself at home.

My primary reason was I didn't want them messing with my unlimited data.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Yes. It was like I having one delivered

11. Photography thread starter macrumors 65816

Photography

How do they tie that device to your account? Do they basically scan the iPhone box barcode in the store to get it "prepped" for activation, and then just send you home to activate it at home on your own time?

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They just asked for my phone number when I was buying the phone, verified I was eligible for an upgrade, and let me pay for it. They don't care what happens with the phone after the fact -- nothing in the contract says it has to be used with the number that you used for the subsidized pricing.

13. Photography thread starter macrumors 65816

Photography

I chatted with an online representative and she said that I would have to have them physically open the box in the store in order for the phone to be activated, and that I couldn't do it at home. I don't think she was giving me the most accurate information though, given what I've read here.