If Windows Mobile 10 adds ability to load Android apps, would you buy?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Jan 19, 2015.

?

Would you buy a Windows Phone if Android apps are allowed?

1. Yes

23.5%
  2. No way in hell

52.9%
  3. Possibly, depends on if GAPPS are added

17.6%
  4. What is Windows Mobile 10?

5.9%
  1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Rumors are now leaking out that Microsoft intends to announce that Windows Mobile 10 will allow for the ability to sideload Android apps (akin to what Blackberry does). If they allow this to happen, and we are able to load Google Apps, would you be willing to buy a Windows Phone?

I know my Lumia 925 would become a lot more attractie, especially if I could use Google apps like Chrome.

We shall find out in 2 days time.

2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Why not just buy an Android phone? If you're just porting apps you lose a lot of what makes WP special like live tiles and such. I doubt that rumor will come to fruition anyway.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't see the need to put Android apps on any other type of phone.

4. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Better chance of Amazon's next fire phone having this ability then a windows phone

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If Windows Mobile 10 adds ability to load Android apps, would you buy?

Sadly it won't happen and if it did it would still be unreliable, leave many apps broken, come at the cost of performance overhead, and google services would still require a load of messing around - just like it currently is on blackberry.

6. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

for me personally I would rather see more customization in WM10 than Android apps. Like true wallpapers like Android or IOS. I know live tiles can use a background now. But not all the tiles can. So it kinda defeats the purpose. Be nice to have a more flat design. Some settings are buried a few levels deep.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I'd like a full background image, which then makes some tiles semi opaque. Also the list view of apps is really painful when you have a ton of apps. They need to sort that... They also need to sort out their music player services once and for all. Music app has been broken for ages, and Nokia music seemingly on a death sentence - if they aren't going to sort out first party apps, what are chances of finally filling that app black hole.

8. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

If I could get google services and load hangouts on it, why not? I've always admired windows phone, but disregarded it for the lack of apps.

9. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Nope, and I even have a 1520 I'm not using right now.

10. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Would Google allow their apps to be sideloaded to a Lumia phone? If they're not making official apps for Windows phone why would they allow them to be sideloaded?

11. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

If it's sideloading, they can't do much about it. Somebody just grabs the apk and runs it. Even if they update it to somehow shut out WP, just use an older version.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If Microsoft were to do that, it would be Microsoft's waving the white flag in defeat. There would be no incentive for developers to develop Windows Phone apps and there would be no incentive for consumers to buy a Windows Phone.

13. AndriOS871221 macrumors newbie

Aggreed. Ever since BlackBerry enable sideload Android Apps and Amazon App Store, the Blackberry App World is petty much abandoned by developers. All Android so aren't taking advantage of BlackBerry hub and it had not wok well with 1:1 screen.

I hope Microsoft won't make same mistake.

14. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

No way. I put up with the annoyance of sideloading apps with Blackberry (worse performance, not guaranteed to work) because of their messaging features/Hub, but not worth it for me on Windows Phone.

15. xdigi macrumors member

So you can actually get support and have the ability to use Android apps maybe?

Do you really think the majority of people are sideloading apps instead of getting the app straight from the official store? Blackberry doesn't count because it's not exactly a consumer phone.

16. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Allowing Android apps would do absolutely nothing but appease a niche set of users and absolutely destroy any incentive to develop for the platform. Why waste the time to write a WP app when they can just sideload my android version?

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, and I'd see it as a capitulation on MS' part admitting windows mobile is a failure (which I don't think it is).

18. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

It would be a nice feature to have, definitely. I think Windows Phone runs much smoother than Android. The only killer things for me is that some apps that I use a lot on an Android device are not on the Windows store (mostly Google apps). So yeah...if you can this with Windows 10 and the hardware is great, I would seriously consider it over the Android alternative.

19. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

I'll switch to a Windows phone when it can actually run full Windows software and has a hardware dock. Maybe in two years when node size shrinks to 10nm. This is where dual Windows modern interface makes sense in phone mode and desktop mode when docked.

20. Vegastouch, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Yes because they are still missing too many apps and many that they do have that are of the same as Android still suck. For example, eBay sucks on Windows and they dont have some of the biggest games yet like Clash Of The Clans.