Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I am about to replace my iMac and go back iPad only. I had the 2018 11" pro, but sold it because it was really overkill when I had to get my iMac for work and for making photo books. I no longer need it for work, and I've found a way to do customized photo books with an app - FINALLY (which I'm sure some of you have seen - thanks to someone on the boards)!!!

SO now I'm struggling again because, though I LOVE the size of the 11" pro for versatility, and think I would actually use it more sitting if I didn't have a case on it (I like that I could just put a skin and easily pull it off the MK to use as a tablet - I HATED using it with the keyboard folio on it), I'm wondering if I shouldn't go with a 12.9 for more screen when I'm using it on the MK.

I finally have a mini, which I've wanted for a LONG time, and I am concerned that will become nearly obsolete for me with a versatile 11" that is gonna be pretty darn lightweight without a case.

OTOH, if I go for a 12.9, I feel I won't use it as much because I don't think I'll pull it off the stand and use it in my lap like I would with an 11", but if I use it on the desk for writing, digital planning, etc. I'm sure I'd love the size.

Make your arguments for me - not too harsh today if you can help it.

I apologize for my constant posts/changes lately. I really need to get out of the house. ;-p

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Everyone's personal preferences/uses vary but for me the 12.9 is a wonderful deevice. I upgraded from the 10.5 Pro to the 2018 12.9 Pro. I kept the 10.5 thinking there were times I would want a smaller, lighter device but that has not been the case at all - I always reach for the 12.9, whether it's for use anywhere in the house, going out, or even reading in bed. The larger display is excellent and I don't find the larger size and weight to be an issue at all. I highly doubt I will ever buy a smaller device again.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I have a Mac Mini with a 27" Dell display and a 2018 12.9 (and an iPhone xR). I use the 12.9 in my lap (and in bed) daily in its Zugu Muse case. I only use the Mac Mini for work projects and the iPad for almost all other consumption, reading, games etc. For me this is a well-balanced mix and I get the best of all worlds in sizes and use flexibility. I am beyond delighted with this 12.9 and how easy it is to hold and use.

If the 12.9 keyboard case prevents you from using your iPad the way you'd like to, would an inexpensive non-keyboard case help?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have a Mac Mini with a 27" Dell display and a 2018 12.9 (and an iPhone xR). I use the 12.9 in my lap (and in bed) daily in its Zugu Muse case. I only use the Mac Mini for work projects and the iPad for almost all other consumption, reading, games etc. For me this is a well-balanced mix and I get the best of all worlds in sizes and use flexibility. I am beyond delighted with this 12.9 and how easy it is to hold and use.

If the 12.9 keyboard case prevents you from using your iPad the way you'd like to, would an inexpensive non-keyboard case help?

Well my plan will be to buy the Magic Keyboard, so when I'm using the iPP as a "tablet" I will be using it with only a skin. When I had my 11" and the Smart Keyboard folio, I hated using it while sitting in my chair relaxing because I couldn't stand the exposed keys when I flipped the keyboard back, nor the bulk.

My thoughts are this MK would really give me much more flexibility with either device, but I'm worried the 12.9 would stay docked more than an 11 just because of the size of the pad itself.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
My thoughts are this MK would really give me much more flexibility with either device, but I'm worried the 12.9 would stay docked more than an 11 just because of the size of the pad itself.

Well, you would have 14 days to find out. You might find the MK viewing angles to be good for non-keyboard/in lap/bed use too. Whatever your experience turns out to be, I'm sure it will be helpful to others here.

el beisbol

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
I love my 11" and enjoy the flexibility it offers. But if you're replacing a desktop and already have an iPad mini, a 12.9" seems like the ticket because the mini could be used in more mobile / tablet situations when the 12.9" doesn't work for you.

Hyde0709

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2015
My buddy has a 12.9“ and I have the 11.5” —- the 12.9” just seems soooo huge. The 11.5” is big enough to replace my work laptop but small enough where I can stuff it in a bag or easily one hand hold it to read a book.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
My buddy has a 12.9“ and I have the 11.5” —- the 12.9” just seems soooo huge. The 11.5” is big enough to replace my work laptop but small enough where I can stuff it in a bag or easily one hand hold it to read a book.

Herein lies the problem with size question that keeps coming up - it's an entirely personal preference issue and votes or opinions voiced by others are really of no help in the end. You have to try it for yourself and see if it works for you; that it works for me is really quite meaningless.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I apologize for my constant posts/changes lately. I really need to get out of the house. ;-p

I misread too that you have an iPad mini 5, not a Mac mini. They're a great small rig, but I think combined with an 11 IPP you won't use it as much.

Also we all need to get out of the house more these days. I enjoy reading your posts and I'm betting your decision-making thought process mirrors others'.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I always thought to myself and I’m sure I’ve mentioned on here somewhere before that if I had a good scrapbooking app that would make my decision clear to stick with the 12.9”. I think that the 12.9” would be best for scrapbooking. I think 12.9” for you with the MK, a skin on the back of the iPad and/or a Smart Cover for tablet style.
Can I ask what app you are using for that? I’ve seen Procreate templates fir scrapbooking and downloaded some. Is that what you are doing? I must try and find that thread you are talking about, but it’s bed time right now, so I’ll look for it tomorrow.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I always thought to myself and I’m sure I’ve mentioned on here somewhere before that if I had a good scrapbooking app that would make my decision clear to stick with the 12.9”. I think that the 12.9” would be best for scrapbooking. I think 12.9” for you with the MK, a skin on the back of the iPad and/or a Smart Cover for tablet style.
Can I ask what app you are using for that? I’ve seen Procreate templates fir scrapbooking and downloaded some. Is that what you are doing? I must try and find that thread you are talking about, but it’s bed time right now, so I’ll look for it tomorrow.

I was in that discussion -

I thought she was going with Motif.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I am about to replace my iMac and go back iPad only. I had the 2018 11" pro, but sold it because it was really overkill when I had to get my iMac for work and for making photo books. I no longer need it for work, and I've found a way to do customized photo books with an app - FINALLY (which I'm sure some of you have seen - thanks to someone on the boards)!!!

SO now I'm struggling again because, though I LOVE the size of the 11" pro for versatility, and think I would actually use it more sitting if I didn't have a case on it (I like that I could just put a skin and easily pull it off the MK to use as a tablet - I HATED using it with the keyboard folio on it), I'm wondering if I shouldn't go with a 12.9 for more screen when I'm using it on the MK.

I finally have a mini, which I've wanted for a LONG time, and I am concerned that will become nearly obsolete for me with a versatile 11" that is gonna be pretty darn lightweight without a case.

OTOH, if I go for a 12.9, I feel I won't use it as much because I don't think I'll pull it off the stand and use it in my lap like I would with an 11", but if I use it on the desk for writing, digital planning, etc. I'm sure I'd love the size.

In spite of what some may claim, there is NOT a single iPad size/configuration that is the perfect size for all use cases and workflows. Moving from a larger to smaller (or smaller to larger) iPad simply moves the dividing line between usable and not usable.

The only way your Mini will become obsolete is if you buy another Mini.

You've got good lines of logic as you describe the trade-offs between the sizes. You're thinking clearly about the scenarios... be encouraged by that.

The 12.9 is limited in its practicality as a tablet to use in mobile situations. It's transportable (easy to carry from point "A" to point "B") but using it while in transit between those two points (mobile) it's not so good.

If you are going to use the 12.9 as a in-place replacement for your iMac and it will remain mostly on your desk with only the occasional time that you'll take off the desk and go somewhere else, then that would be a good choice. Think, "primarily a desktop, laptop/tablet-in-hand in a pinch".

The 11 is small enough to be used in mobile situations without overly compromising desktop usage. The important point I think, is to determine if the 11" MK is suitable for your purposes. As a touch typist, I have no problem typing on keyboard covers for my 6th 9.7" iPad. And I have plenty of room on that 9.7" screen for digital planning and journaling. The 11" will obviously be even better.

Regardless of whether you decide on the 11" or 12.9", I recommend keeping the Mini. Neither of those can replace the Mini.

I hope this helps.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Do you plan on going for the 2020 model?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I was in that discussion -

I thought she was going with Motif.

Motif is the app I’m planning to use to make the books, although I’m not really gonna be digital scrapbooking per se. I’m just trying to get photos on pages and print them - not really decorate them. My problem was Shutterfly didn’t really allow for customizing the pages as in putting more than a single picture on a page. Motif allows various layouts from their app - it looks awesome!
[automerge]1589994201[/automerge]
In spite of what some may claim, there is NOT a single iPad size/configuration that is the perfect size for all use cases and workflows. Moving from a larger to smaller (or smaller to larger) iPad simply moves the dividing line between usable and not usable.

The only way your Mini will become obsolete is if you buy another Mini.

You've got good lines of logic as you describe the trade-offs between the sizes. You're thinking clearly about the scenarios... be encouraged by that.

The 12.9 is limited in its practicality as a tablet to use in mobile situations. It's transportable (easy to carry from point "A" to point "B") but using it while in transit between those two points (mobile) it's not so good.

If you are going to use the 12.9 as a in-place replacement for your iMac and it will remain mostly on your desk with only the occasional time that you'll take off the desk and go somewhere else, then that would be a good choice. Think, "primarily a desktop, laptop/tablet-in-hand in a pinch".

The 11 is small enough to be used in mobile situations without overly compromising desktop usage. The important point I think, is to determine if the 11" MK is suitable for your purposes. As a touch typist, I have no problem typing on keyboard covers for my 6th 9.7" iPad. And I have plenty of room on that 9.7" screen for digital planning and journaling. The 11" will obviously be even better.

Regardless of whether you decide on the 11" or 12.9", I recommend keeping the Mini. Neither of those can replace the Mini.

I hope this helps.

Well I feel like if I’m keeping the mini for portability, getting the 12.9 is a no-brainer. It’s likely true that it’ll be better for manipulating the photos and stuff, plus I know split screen is gonna be great on the 12.9.

Of course I was thinking with my always looking for ways to be minimal with my devices, that if I’m using an 11” with no cover, it may get used in place of the mini more. I hated using my 11” with that keyboard folio on it, but without one, the 11” isn’t a super heavy, bulky device.

You are definitely correct in that there is no one that fills all the gaps. I think if I could have only 1, the 11” is the more practical choice, but if I’m keeping the mini, the 12.9 is the answer.
[automerge]1589994297[/automerge]
Do you plan on going for the 2020 model?

I am because I will be doing it through AT&T (I have to have cellular), and it is about a $3/month difference to go with the 2018. Also, 128 gb is really a great size for me, and that’s the base model on the 2020.

Why? Did you have a suggestion?

Last edited:

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I guess I’m puzzled why you didn’t just remove the keyboard folio from your iPP 11 when you wanted to use the iPad as a tablet. That’s what I do. I’m not sure how that’s much different from removing it from the new keyboard, either.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I guess I’m puzzled why you didn’t just remove the keyboard folio from your iPP 11 when you wanted to use the iPad as a tablet. That’s what I do. I’m not sure how that’s much different from removing it from the new keyboard, either.

I honestly cannot answer that. I don’t know. Maybe just because when you would remove it it would just flop down on the table versus there being something that just stays put, but I never did think to put a skin on the back of it and pull it off and use it. And I never wanted to use it without some protection.

Also I don’t know why I feel like there was something that fit around the edges or corners of it. Maybe I’m thinking of a different case.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I'm in a similar dilemma, where I intend to replace my personal hardware with an iPad Pro.

For me, the decision is easy: I currently have a 27" iMac I rarely use, and a 17" MBP as my daily driver.

My wife's 9.7" base iPad is nice for quick searches, but given that I want to replace my large-screen hardware, I have only one option: the 12.9" IPP.

Screen size matters, especially since I WILL be multitasking like crazy on this device.

As sracer points out, my use case will be that of a laptop-replacement, not a consumption-first device, so I intend to have both the Magic Keyboard for iPad or the BT Magic Keyboard and TrackPad combo, and a folio case for the ability to prop up the iPad in different positions when not on a desk and when I want to travel light..

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I agree with the assessment that if you have and are going to keep the mini, then the 12.9“ is probably the way to go.

But, if you are replacing an iMac of any size, consider the possibility of getting the 11” and getting a proper desktop setup for it instead of the iPad Magic Keyboard.

You could use the proceeds from selling the mini, plus the savings of not getting the iPad Magic Keyboard, and going 11” instead of 12.9”, get an external 4K monitor, an iPad desktop stand, your favorite external keyboard (wireless/bluetooth or not - I personally prefer wired mechanical keyboards), and a Magic Trackpad 2, plus the Smart Keyboard Folio for when you are on the go.

I have a 2018 1TB 11” model, and have this setup. I was fortunate enough to be able to choose this as my employer issued hardware over a Mac or PC, so it literally gets used as a full on “computer” replacement. I have one desktop setup at work (I am in Sweden, so we have never been on lock down, and thus I still am in the office 2-3 times a week) and one WFH setup. My iPad Pro lives in the Smart Keyboard Folio, which gets folded back when the iPad is on the desktop stand right in front of the keyboard.

Using an external monitor when at your main desk/work station almost completely eliminates the larger screen advantage of the 12.9”, especially if you spend a lot of time on the Web in Safari. I multitask in split screen and slide over all day long on the external screen with a PiP video from Safari running, and get more practical, usable real estate on my spreadsheets than I ever did on my 13” Macbook Pro.

Just an alternative perspective to your workflow you may not have thought about. Ever since iPadOS 13.4 came out, this has been such a good experience. I mean, my favorite iPad ever is the iPad mini 4. I still have that, but it is shelved at the moment. The 11” Pro is just so versatile. If they ever came out with a mini Pro, I would buy that maxed in a heartbeat, and use it the same way I am using the 11” now.

Plug it in to the desktop setup with one cable (Apple HDMI multi-adapter) and then unplug it again, and you’re off to the conference rooms for presentations, teleconferencing, and meetings, or tossing it into into your bag for the train commute home with the Smart Keyboard Folio already attached and ready to go. Then off with the Folio and into the bed late at night for some forum surfing and media consumption, writing this reply.

Being that you are working with photos, you might appreciate being able to look at them on a bigger external monitor in any case. The one place, IMHO, that you might miss the 12.9” in this scenario is when working on your photos in pure tablet mode, away from the external monitor. There you would probably appreciate the bigger screen.

Just my 2 cents!

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I honestly cannot answer that. I don’t know. Maybe just because when you would remove it it would just flop down on the table versus there being something that just stays put, but I never did think to put a skin on the back of it and pull it off and use it. And I never wanted to use it without some protection.

Also I don’t know why I feel like there was something that fit around the edges or corners of it. Maybe I’m thinking of a different case.

I “skinned” both my iPad and my keyboard folio. Whenever I remove the folio, I fold it in half and set it down. I didn’t just drop it and let it flop.

I just tried a CoverBuddy case that fits on the iPad between it and the keyboard folio but it’s about the texture and feel of those vinyl backs that are on spiral or comb bound reports, which is not a lot of protection. Not going to use it. Overpriced and underprotective.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I agree with the assessment that if you have and are going to keep the mini, then the 12.9“ is probably the way to go.

But, if you are replacing an iMac of any size, consider the possibility of getting the 11” and getting a proper desktop setup for it instead of the iPad Magic Keyboard.

You could use the proceeds from selling the mini, plus the savings of not getting the iPad Magic Keyboard, and going 11” instead of 12.9”, get an external 4K monitor, an iPad desktop stand, your favorite external keyboard (wireless/bluetooth or not - I personally prefer wired mechanical keyboards), and a Magic Trackpad 2, plus the Smart Keyboard Folio for when you are on the go.

I have a 2018 1TB 11” model, and have this setup. I was fortunate enough to be able to choose this as my employer issued hardware over a Mac or PC, so it literally gets used as a full on “computer” replacement. I have one desktop setup at work (I am in Sweden, so we have never been on lock down, and thus I still am in the office 2-3 times a week) and one WFH setup. My iPad Pro lives in the Smart Keyboard Folio, which gets folded back when the iPad is on the desktop stand right in front of the keyboard.

Using an external monitor when at your main desk/work station almost completely eliminates the larger screen advantage of the 12.9”, especially if you spend a lot of time on the Web in Safari. I multitask in split screen and slide over all day long on the external screen with a PiP video from Safari running, and get more practical, usable real estate on my spreadsheets than I ever did on my 13” Macbook Pro.

Just an alternative perspective to your workflow you may not have thought about. Ever since iPadOS 13.4 came out, this has been such a good experience. I mean, my favorite iPad ever is the iPad mini 4. I still have that, but it is shelved at the moment. The 11” Pro is just so versatile. If they ever came out with a mini Pro, I would buy that maxed in a heartbeat, and use it the same way I am using the 11” now.

Plug it in to the desktop setup with one cable (Apple HDMI multi-adapter) and then unplug it again, and you’re off to the conference rooms for presentations, teleconferencing, and meetings, or tossing it into into your bag for the train commute home with the Smart Keyboard Folio already attached and ready to go. Then off with the Folio and into the bed late at night for some forum surfing and media consumption, writing this reply.

Being that you are working with photos, you might appreciate being able to look at them on a bigger external monitor in any case. The one place, IMHO, that you might miss the 12.9” in this scenario is when working on your photos in pure tablet mode, away from the external monitor. There you would probably appreciate the bigger screen.

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks for the input. I think it's more than I need for my particular workflow, but it sounds super cool!

And thanks to all of you for the responses. I honestly appreciate the posts that make me think and consider various different scenarios.

I love the mini, and have really wanted it for a long time, but what I've ultimately determined is that when I'm laying in bed, the device I am most likely to look at before falling asleep, is my darn phone. It's just easy with a Loopy case to hold it, read through my facebook and look through my instagram, then set it down.

I pretty much had this pipe dream of having a mini to read on in bed. Honestly, I have figured out that I do NOT read in bed for the most part. I fall asleep almost immediately when I try to.

Ultimately, my goal really is to minimize devices - it's what I've been trying to do for a while. I think having an 11" is going to make my mini pretty much unnecessary for my use case. Since I purchased a mini for my grandson, and it's still in the return window, I am returning that, and giving him my mini. And of course, I'm selling my iMac.

I ordered myself the 11" and the Magic Keyboard. I'm also gonna order a set of skins. I think with a single more versatile device, I'll get more of my money's worth out of it. I feel I'm just being wasteful having multiple devices with none getting enough use to justify having them.
[automerge]1590011317[/automerge]
I “skinned” both my iPad and my keyboard folio. Whenever I remove the folio, I fold it in half and set it down. I didn’t just drop it and let it flop.

I just tried a CoverBuddy case that fits on the iPad between it and the keyboard folio but it’s about the texture and feel of those vinyl backs that are on spiral or comb bound reports, which is not a lot of protection. Not going to use it. Overpriced and underprotective.

Where did you get your skins?

I'm gonna try the Magic Keyboard. There are reasons why I think it'll be perfect for what I need when I'm using it at my desk. If I get it and am underwhelmed, I'll return it and go back with the keyboard folio. I do LOVE the typing experience on that and the ASK - curious to see if I'll like the MK keys as much.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve got an 11” and a 12.9”. The 12.9” is far better at replicating the desktop experience, and if you’ve got a Mini, that pretty much covers you on the go and for traditional tablet usage, unless you really need a keyboard on the go that is.

The 12.9” is my favourite and gets far more use than my 11”, yet if I could only have one, it’d be the 11”. Simply due to it’s versatility, it’s a great tablet*, a pretty decent laptop substitute and is a fantastic mobile device, I take it to work everyday. Meanwhile, the 12.9” isn’t, imo, a particularly great tablet and is too big and unwieldy for on the go, in-and-out-of-bag type usage. I love it at home, entirely in landscape with keyboard attached (also have a Mac Mini which I use a lot, and a MBP I rarely use, please no one tell me to buy a mac, old/boring suggestion like snappy Safari).

*By tablet, I mean portrait, keyboard-less

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’ve got an 11” and a 12.9”. The 12.9” is far better at replicating the desktop experience, and if you’ve got a Mini, that pretty much covers you on the go and for traditional tablet usage, unless you really need a keyboard on the go that is.

The 12.9” is my favourite and gets far more use than my 11”, yet if I could only have one, it’d be the 11”. Simply due to it’s versatility, it’s a great tablet*, a pretty decent laptop substitute and is a fantastic mobile device, I take it to work everyday. Meanwhile, the 12.9” isn’t, imo, a particularly great tablet and is too big and unwieldy for on the go, in-and-out-of-bag type usage. I love it at home, entirely in landscape with keyboard attached (also have a Mac Mini which I use a lot, and a MBP I rarely use, please no one tell me to buy a mac, old/boring suggestion like snappy Safari).

*By tablet, I mean portrait, keyboard-less

Thank you for that! That's pretty much precisely what I'm thinking. If I want only one device, which really is my ultimate goal (other than phone of course), because I don't use any enough to warrant the cost of multiple, the 11" is just the way to go. I LOVE the idea of the 12.9 at the desk, but honestly, with a display like the pro, I'm gonna want to use it in my lap for games and other things, and I just think the 12.9 is gonna be bigger than I want for that.

It makes more sense for me to have one, good, practical device that does everything decently than multiple devices.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010

Have that case too, you had any issues with it? I took it out of the case the other day and found my top button damaged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.