If you are given a second chance, which device would you buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dlpowered89, Nov 3, 2016.

1. dlpowered89 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So long story short, I used to own 2015 rMBP which I rarely carried around due to its weight. 3.5lb isn't too heavy by all means but when you have to carry two laptops, (15" MBP from work + my personal device) it becomes a bit of a burden. Fast forward a time when rMP came out, they were good, but not fast enough. However 2016 rMB seemed like it was capable enough so I splurged on a m5/512GB variant.

I have been happy with its size and weight, but there are times when I wished it had a little more juice. Then couple days ago, Apple announced a new MBP line and one thing I noticed immediately is the lighter form factor. I am guessing this was the main decision point for those that own rMB and I am curious to know if the recent announcement have startled your mind about replacing it.

This would have been an easy choice had Apple chose to be less greedy and kept the 13" at where it should be, but it seems like I will have to think this through for me before triggering one.

2. Frederik on MacRumors macrumors newbie

Frederik on MacRumors

Not exactly in the same position, but:

I was prepared to buy the new MacBook Pro as soon as it is available. I was even prepared to pay up to 3000€ (I'm based in Germany). Of cause, I wished for a lover price point, but I know I would upgrade stuff so 3000€ were ok. (I paid a little above 2000€ for a full-spect (expect the HDD) just to have a perspective)

After the MacBook Pro event, I startet ordering the MacBook Pro 15" and ended at a price of 3800€... Well, if the retina MacBook would have a 14" or more option, I would buy it right away... I don't need the touch bar... I know all the key combination I need in all the apps I use... I would really like a quad core processor for virtualization and decreasing the time when exporting photos or rendering videos, but this is just way too much $$$ for what I get... I would have bought a Lenovo, Dell or surface a long time ago if I wouldn't love macOS...

In short: the new MacBook Pro made me want the retina MacBook!

3. Flekoun macrumors newbie

Flekoun

I have had iMac, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini and now I have Macbook 12....I am a game developer working in Unit, Photoshop, Xcode. All I can say is that Macbook 12 is by far the best of all I used so far. So light, so portable and I am totally stunned that the performance is great! I thought I will use this macbook 12 until new Pro's come out. However when I figured out that this Macbook 12 is powerful enough and new Pro's are stupidly expensive I will stick with my Macbook 12 and upgrade only when new Macbook 12 is released. I do not want any notebook which is heavier,larger,louder, bigger than this. Its a dream! Also I do not need more than 1 UBC, I know it sound stupid, but I have a docking station which has all the ports I need and when I want to go mobile I just un-plug 1 cable and I am ready to go. So versatile!

4. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Which Model rMB do you have, I am looking at the refurb 2015 Gold 1.2/8gb (1600 ram) 512ssd, I do not do the things you do but I am curious if you went for a newer faster one with faster ram?

Thanks

5. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

I too was happy with the weight of the newly announced rMBPs. Weighing as much as a 13" Air, it isn't too bad. However after using and carrying a 12" rMB, even the 13" Air seems heavy! I just really like the weight, and now that the Keyboard's are practically the same, and the price point for the rMBP 13" is over my budget, I think I'll stick with the rMB from now on.

If the keyboard was like the magic keyboard, then maybe I'd get it. But right now, the rMB is 450g lighter. If the 2nd gen butterfly KB comes to the rMB, which I think it will as the travel is the same, just the dome and shape of the key have been slightly changes according to reviews, then that's even more of a reason to stick with the rMB in my opinion!

6. Flekoun macrumors newbie

Flekoun

I have 2015 m3 256, the absolute barebone.

7. alanholden macrumors newbie

I had a 2013 base rMBP and swapped this to a 2016 m7 rMB for university since I knew it would only really be word processing and internet browsing.

The power of this has actually seriously impressed me and the only time it ever struggles is when I try and render an iMovie of a recent holiday etc. Whilst the touch bar interests me I don't think I have any real use for a rMBP so definitely glad that I went for the rMB and its smaller form factor

8. mariotr87 macrumors regular

The MBP is still noticeably bigger, heavier and thicker (not to say pricier!). And obviously, it has fans, so it can get noisy too. Given that 95% of the time I just don't need the extra performance, I'm not planning on moving away from this form factor anytime soon, if ever. If I happen to need more performance at some point, I think I'll just get an iMac; versatility is great, but to me there's nothing like having the right tool for the right job.

That said, I do like the TouchBar, and obviously extra performance is always welcome if it doesn't compromise size. But I'm hopping these improvements will come to the MacBook at some point.

9. dlpowered89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response guys. I also do think there are significant amount of weight differences between the both, but I guess I will have to see until the benchmark numbers come out before crunching performance/weight ratio. 3lb, which is what rMBP weighs, used to be my sweet spot but I think it has changed!

10. RansZ28 macrumors regular

RansZ28

I love my rMB and I would totally purchase it again!!!

11. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I will chime in and hopefully reassure you as some have already did.

I went to best buy last night to return something and hope that the new touch bar versions of the rMBP were on display. Unfortunately the non-touch bar one was on display only.

HOWEVER...

I was able to get a feel for the size and weight of the rMBP, also type on the new redesigned keyboard, and the new screen.

So, the new "thinner" rMBP is actually still significantly heavier than the rMB. The keyboard slightly feels different but oddly enough I love the rMB keyboard vs the new rMBP. Now the screen is where the new rMBP wins as it is brighter. However if you don't have the two sitting next to each other you wouldn't know the difference. The larger trackpad on the rMBP is nice, but again, the rMB has a big enough track pad for its size. I did not do any basic speed tests on both but I don't need to as I am not a heavy user.

I still want to actually see and use the touch bar before making a decision, but I believe I will be going with the a 2016 rMB M5 or better. I just hope a redesign is NOT in the works this spring haha.

12. Canaria macrumors member

I would buy the same MacBook 12" in a different color. Silver instead of gold.
    The chrome ring on the Pencil was the reason I switched from buying gold Apple products back to silver. Starting with the iPad Pro. MacBook is the only device that reminds me of my golden years :)

13. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

I have been blown away by the rMB. I went with the 2016 m3 version and I couldn't be happier. Super light and portable, I take it everywhere with me. The performance has been great and I love the new keyboard. Everything is super fast and works great. Easily the best Mac I have owned after owning a variety of iMac's, MacBook Pro's, MacBooks, and iOS devices.

14. Ender17 macrumors regular

15. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

Honestly, if I hadn't purchased the rMB i would go for the MBP, though it was going to be my first Mac and i didn't want to spend that much money on a platform i had no experience with, plus MBP wasn't refreshed back then. I am still very happy with my purchase though. Sadly I will part with my rMB once my BTO 15" MBP arrives.

16. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

I purchased the rMB in 2015 and found only one limitation, it doesn't run VM with Windows well.

I ordered the 13" MBP for the speed, but I'll miss the 1lb lighter weight of the rMB.

I use it everyday and travel every week with it. No failures or problems, including the keyboard.

2015 l2 8 gig 512 ssd space gray.

17. Silvestru Hosszu macrumors member

I bought the base 2016 m3 rMB. If i had a second chance I would probably opt for the m5 version. Not that the m3 is slouch but I'm the rMB much more than I initially thought.

18. Music Lover macrumors member

Tried the last MBP 2016 13" and WOW what a heavy piece!

Took me 2sec to understand it was out of the question. Faster than my MacBook 12" 2015 but I just just LOVE my rMB !!!
    I have the fastest CPU available spring 2015 and it's a keeper.
    Going to upgrade in a few years when the performance is better but nothing can push me toward a bigger and heavier PC, nothing.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2016 ---
    I have the 1,3 GHz Intel Core M in my 2015 (spring) MacBook 12".
    How muck faster is the 1,1 GHz Intel Core m3-processor i your 2016?

Or do I need to step up to the 1,2 GHz m5 or 1,3 GHz m7-processor?

19. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

I have the 1,3 GHz Intel Core M in my 2015 (spring) MacBook 12".
    How muck faster is the 1,1 GHz Intel Core m3-processor i your 2016?

Or do I need to step up to the 1,2 GHz m5 or 1,3 GHz m7-processor?[/QUOTE]

I really couldn't say as I am sure it is pretty dependent on what you are using the computer for. I don't use mine for very much, mostly websites, music, photos, some light video and photo editing, nothing too crazy. The m3 has been fine for day to day tasks.