if you are tethered, how do you update?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by masterjedi73, Dec 23, 2011.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Will all of your settings etc. disappear when updating to untethered? (ip4, verizon)

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yup. I take screen shots of everything before I update so I remember.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Using past tethered to untethered jailbreaks as a reference, no they will not disappear. The untether could be as simple as a Cydia package or rerunning a new version of redsn0w untop of your current jailbreak.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Is the 5.0 untethered going to be done using redsn0w?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If not redsn0w then some other utility like greenpois0n. For A4 and older devices, it could be done via a greenpois0n like utility or redsn0w as they would use the limera1n exploit. They could also simply post the jailbreak as a type of patch on Cydia that would untether the device. With only the jailbreakme.com jailbreak having jailbroken an A5 device, I am unsure how the jailbreak is accomplished on A5 devices, due to their lack of a bootrom exploit.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

So if 5.0 is untethered using something like greenpois0n or limera1n, can you still untether it over the tethered considering it was originally done using Redsn0w? A cydia patch would be awesome.

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I believe so. It happened previously when redsn0w was tetethered, then Greenpois0n came out. All we did was just to run Greenpois0n and we had untethered jailbreak without loosing anything.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

limera1n is the bootrom exploit, not a jailbreak tool. Depending on how well the Chronic-Dev Team works, it could be applied right over a redsn0w tethered jailbreak. Or the untethered exploit could be shared with the iPhone Dev-Team to be integrated into redsn0w and then it could be applied that way. A Cydia patch would be the best option. There was at least one tether jailbreak that could be come untethered via a Cydia patch, but I forget which iOS jailbreak it is.

9. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

I was going to start a similar thread on this.

I tried a few times to update but iTunes keeps rejecting it due to my tethered JB, OTA didn't work also, neither did plugging it into my PC. I was planning on updating to the newest iOS to lose my jailbreak on purpose while apple is still signing off on iOS 5.0.1 but could not get it done. I would rather lose my tethered in return for a untethered. How is this done?