If you bought a MBP days before the update..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aahhple, Mar 2, 2008.

1. aahhple macrumors newbie

I called apple to see if they had a specific MBP case. I was telling the sales associate that I had just bought my MBP a week ago and I wanted it to be very protected.

Not only did they have the case I was looking for but he also mentioned that since I bought my MBP right before the update I would get money reimbursed.

Went in to the Apple store tonight with my receipt and was refunded $323!

So for those of you kicking yourselves for buying your MBP days before the update, give your apple store a call and head in there with your receipt.

(I am pretty sure it works the same for all apple stores because they had a sheet of the markdowns and the amount of money that was to be reimbursed.)

cheers!

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

3. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Instead of that $300, you could have gotten a faster processor, more hard drive space, better graphics card, and multitouch.

4. djellison macrumors 68020

a marginally faster processor, slightly more hard drive space easily trumped by a £80 diy upgrade, a graphics card with more VRAM that wont get used anyway, and the gimmick that is multitouch.

I spent £1100 on my Refurb MBP a couple of weeks ago and I consider it significantly better value for money than any of the 'new' machines. If you want to piss away vast swathes of cash just to have the 'new' thing - then good luck to you.

Doug

5. aahhple thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't feel like this update was a huge deal for me, i love my MBP.
    I also love the fact that I can spend that extra $323 towards an iPhone.:D

6. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

you're right! i actually bought an SR MBP MEROM last tues. it's the same model as yours.. it is a very good mchine
    you can look it as a 300 plus savings..

how i look at it? i got an MBP for the price of a blackbook.
    :D

7. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Our conclusion exactly: we just purchased an Apple refurb merom over the penryn on the apple store. We got a second 17" 2.6, 160 gig 7200 rpm, 2g ram, high res matte for $2349 delivered -- smokin deal.

Obviously many others feel the same way: the instant the merom's hit the apple store they sell.

Anyone use the previous gen is giving up nothing to the meager update that is penryn.

8. wrightc23 macrumors regular

Same here, I've just bought a new 17" matte 2.6ghz for £1499 in the UK. On my budget I would have ended up with a 15" Penryn mid range model.

The 2.6 ghz Merom is about the same as the 2.5ghz Penryn.

I've already put a WD 320gb drive in and 4gb RAM so for the same money as a mid-range Penryn I've ended up with a maxxed out MBP. 1920x1200 is great.

I wasn't too concerned about Penryn being more energy efficient as it was bought as a desktop replacement.

It's seriously quick and I'm actually quite surprised how portable and light the 17" is. It must be the most portable 17" notebook on the market.