If you buy online can you return to a store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sinar, Aug 3, 2010.

1. sinar macrumors regular

Hi,

I received my refurb 27" iMac yesterday and it has quite bad yellowing to the lower half of the screen so I'm returning it.

I've decided to get a new iMac in the hope that the yellowing problem is not as bad.

I want to buy it online so I can benefit from an employee discount scheme which will save me about £100, Does anyone know if I don't like the new one I buy online could I take it to my local Apple store to get it replaced or would I have to have to mail it back and wait for a replacement?

Thanks for reading,

Julie

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Have you tried the color adjustment tool first? (System preferences->Monitor->Colors->Calibrate). Fixed the yellow screen problem for some people.

You should have received a 1-year AppleCare with your Mac, so you can either take it to the Apple Store or do it online, whatever you like better.

3. KirkL macrumors 6502

Ya you should be able to return it as long as you do it within 14 days (no restocking fee in that case)

4. sinar thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, it's all packed up now waiting to be collected tomorrow so I cant try colour adjustment.

I'm not sure how it could selectively adjust the colour balance of just the lower part of the screen? I did calibrate the screen of my old 24" iMac and it made global adjustments, which was not a problem as the screen was a uniform colour.

Hopefully the new one i buy wont have any issues, but It's good to know I can return in store if I buy a new one on line,

5. sinar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, if my new one does have issues I'm hoping they will let me check the replacement in store so I can get one I'm happy with.

The new iMacs i've seen in my local apple store look quite acceptable so if I can get one as good as those on display I'll be happy

Julie

6. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

I dont know how that works overseas, but I too bought a refurb imac a few months back with the same problem and the only way apple would let me return it, was to ship it back for either a refund or an exchange. The physical stores dont take back refurbs is what I was told. Now they did tell me that had I bought a non refurb unit I could exchange it at a apple store. But as far as refunds even with a new model they couldnt do it.

7. sinar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'm sending refurb back to apple for refund, it'd being collected tomorrow.

When i have been refunded for the refurb I'm going to buy a new one online, so it'd the new one that I would be hoping to swap instore if needed (hopefully the new one will be OK) but its good to know I'll have the option of returning it to a store if it is not.

Julie