If you called an AT&T store your SOL!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shawn15p, Oct 13, 2011.

1. shawn15p macrumors member

So i called my cousin who works at a AT&T store first thing friday morning and ordered 2 iphone 4s. They have been in progress and backordered since i ordered them. I just got off the phone with 4 people calling 611 and every other number you can think of. They said if you ordered before 4 PM on the 7th you will get it tomorrow.

But wait.......not if you called the store or went into the store. Because online apparently takes priority over the stores. If i would of known that i wouldn't of bothered to give my cousin some commission. So now I have to wait God knows how long with a broken 3gs that doesn't make calls and can't receive texts. Unreal

2. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

If you were smart you'd quit complaining about the choices you've made, go to store.apple.com, order yourself a 4S and get it in 1-2 weeks then you'd only have to deal with your broken 3GS for 1-2 weeks. Instead you are whining about the choices you've made (IE putting your cousins commission over guaranteeing a phone at launch, complaining about your choices here instead of getting in line at an apple store or ordering one online right now). I'll call out the whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance.

3. mizvalorie macrumors member

I was first in line at my AT&T store and was told immediately if I pre-ordered I would get my phone in 2 to 3 wks. Its ridiculous, so I am trying to be first in line friday and get the iPhone 4s...well 3 of them...

4. shawn15p thread starter macrumors member

Um you would think when you order it early in the AM i was guaranteeing i was getting one at launch--since the cut off was 4pm that day. And it is not smart to order one at apple and wait 1-2 weeks when that is how long its going to be anyways if i do nothing about it. Thanks for the great advice tho guy.

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I pre-ordered this morning via premier and I was told 21-28 days. I'm cool with that. I'll probably get it around Thanksgiving. Never knew online orders took precedent over retail stores though.

6. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Cancel the preorder. I highly doubt you will have a hard time finding a phone. Go to apple > at&t> best buy > Walmart > radio shack > Sam's club.

You WILL get a phone tomorrow.

7. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Word is AT&T reps were told to tell customers 14-21 days from jump to cover themselves. I know the wait time is @ 21-28 days, at least that's what they're saying.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Why would you call an AT&T store and expect the correct information.:confused:

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Cancelling the pre-order is a PITA because once you order it kills your upgrade and then you gotta fight to cancel the preorder. IF you do cancel then you gotta wait a few days for your elgibility to be reversed. It's best, IMO, to just sit tight and wait it out unless you just don't have a phone.

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why you would trust an AT&T store. I've always had bad experiences there.

That being said, I ordered mine directly from Apple at 5:30am eastern. No problems.

In terms of solutions, like everyone said, see if you can cancel your pre-order, reset your upgrade eligibility and hop in line tomorrow.

11. shawn15p thread starter macrumors member

yeah if they would let me cancel and not have to wait to be eligible for an upgrade i would do it and go stand in line at 3am.

12. trssho macrumors 6502

If you ordered it Friday morning, you will most certainly get it tomorrow. When I went to the store thursday, I was told to come in and place an order, and they would reserve me one that I could pick up on the 14th. So I did, and the idiots tell me that its first come first serve Friday, but that they could order one online, and it would take 14-21 days to have it shipped to me. FN morons dont know ****! I was unable to get my premier site up Thursday, so I went ahead and had them order it. Knowing they dont know JACK!! I have a shipping number, and scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!

13. shawn15p thread starter macrumors member

Well i called the store friday morning. He ordered it to be delievered to my house. Just checked the order status online for the 55090 time and it still shows a "1" under backordered and "in progress" no tracking number.

14. AustinSTI, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011

AustinSTI macrumors 6502

You ordered it early at a store instead of just placing the order on the internet because you wanted your cousin to get the commission. Personally I wouldn't ever do that and I've had an iPhone at launch since 2007 so I do have some credibility.

You made a bad decision. Take responsibility for it and move on. Order a phone online now, get it in 1-2 weeks or get in line at a store now and wait.

You don't know that it's going to continue to be 1-2 weeks if you do nothing unless you have insights into the supply change that nobody else does. The 1-2 weeks could change to 4-6 weeks tomorrow and then you'll be here complaining about that.

My advice (it was great the first time and the second) is take responsibility for your decisions, quit your bitching, and learn from them. Oh and order your iPhone4s.

15. shawn15p, Oct 13, 2011

shawn15p thread starter macrumors member

Your advice was terrible the first time and it is terrible now. MY DEVICE IS ALREADY ORDERED. Has been for a week. Is it really that hard to get? If it said that it would be 14-21 days when i ordered it a week ago, what would be the benefit or canceling that order and starting over???

16. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I went into the store first thing in the morning on the 7th and pre-ordered. My phone just left TX and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow so this is not true.

17. djransom, Oct 13, 2011

djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I was with you until you got to the bolded part and I just stopped. Everybody situation is different so that gives no right to say who made a bad decision or who didn't. The OP did what was best for them. Purchasing an iPhone since 07 means nothing because things change over the years like anything else.

18. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

do you cross your heart and hope to die?

19. moetownslick macrumors regular

moetownslick

lol there is quite a bit of venom in this thread.

20. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

You gave your family member some more money in their pocket and you did a nice thing - now move on with your life and stop obsessing over this. It's just a phone and one that looks identical to the current phone. What's so magical about it that you MUST HAVE IT BY TOMORROW or you'll start butchering people?

Chances are if you get it tomorrow, you'll have spent 1/2 a day waiting and a few more hours setting it up. After that, you'll play with Siri for about 15 minutes, text a few people to marvel at a blue Send button, then lose interest and continue on with the rest of your life. Does it really matter if that sequence of events happen a few days later?

Get some perspective man...

21. shawn15p thread starter macrumors member

well just got back from the AT&T store. You are not allowed to cancel pre-orders.

I have perspective....like I said before. If I had a working phone I wouldn't care at all. And there is 0% chance of me getting it tomorrow when it still says backordered and no tracking info.

22. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Pet peeve, sorry. There... I fixed that for you.

23. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I, like many other people, did not have to wait for my eligibility to be reset. It happened immediately. Furthermore, canceling the preorder was far from a PITA.

24. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I think what happened here is that your cousin was late that day preordering your 4S due to the system being down or just laziness; I have seen in the threads of people that did store pre-order and their phones are ready to be sent to their homes to arrive tommorow.