If you can change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

After seeing the video on the Kony 2012 movement it got me thinking what I would do if I could change the world.

If I could change one thing, I would give every person to have an equal opportunity to live a better life.

What would you change?

Also, please support the Kony 2012 movement. The best way to support this movement is to spread his name. Thank you.

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

mobilehaathi said:
If I could change one thing, I would give every person to have an equal opportunity to live a better life.
If we are wishing in an ideal world, why not just wish for equal results?
I believe it is better to provide the same opportunities then have everyone work for it.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
I'd create renewable and clean energy that can be used in virtually any application. I'm sick of relying on middle eastern countries supplying my country with the resource it needs to operate. Energy independence FTW!

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I'd eliminate the archaic and backwards republican ideology, and I'd flush all religion right down the toilet while I was at it.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

I believe it is better to provide the same opportunities then have everyone work for it.
It's not like this is costing you anything. You are just changing something. Why not just make it an egalitarian world? Why would you allow inequality if you could just change it?

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012

mobilehaathi said:

It's not like this is costing you anything. You are just changing something. Why not just make it an egalitarian world? Why would you allow inequality if you could just change it?
there will still be equality. The equality part is that you will jo longer be judged by the color of your skin, nor by how wealthy your family is. Instead you will have to attend the same type of school as everybody(rich or poor). Whether or not you decide to work hard and take advantage of these equality is totally up to the person.

This is what I mean by give everone the same opportunity but have them work for it. We have too much people in this world who arent given much opportunities at birth.(this makes me sad).

Along with that, everyone please spread the word on Kony 2012. The reason why I started this thread was to create a discussion and also at the same time help spread the word on Kony 2012.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

there will still be equality. The equality part is that you will jo longer be judged by the color of your skin, nor by how wealthy your family is. Instead you will have to attend the same type of school as everybody(rich or poor). Whether or not you decide to work hard and take advantage of these equality is totally up to the person.

This is what I mean by give everone the same opportunity but have them work for it. We have too much people in this world who arent given much opportunities at birth.(this makes me sad).

Along with that, everyone please spread the word on Kony 2012. The reason why I started this thread was to create a discussion and also at the same time help spread the word on Kony 2012.
That's really great and all, but it doesn't guarantee an equal society. Why wouldn't you just make it an equal society? Why stop at equal opportunity?

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012

mobilehaathi said:

That's really great and all, but it doesn't guarantee an equal society. Why wouldn't you just make it an equal society? Why stop at equal opportunity?
hmmm... define for me what you mean by equal society. The term seems kind of general to me.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

hmmm... define for me what you mean by equal society. The term seems kind of general to me.
One in which the distribution of all resources is equal and everyone can live peacefully and comfortably without need. You can argue that this isn't tenable pragmatically, but since we're just changing the world, presumably that isn't a concern. We're just being God here, why not just make Eden?

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012

mobilehaathi said:

One in which the distribution of all resources is equal and everyone can live peacefully and comfortably without need. You can argue that this isn't tenable pragmatically, but since we're just changing the world, presumably that isn't a concern. We're just being God here, why not just make Eden?
I agree with you 100% I wish all resources can be shared equally among people. But just speaking about resource equality alone, What are your thoughts on how we should manage resources for people who drain resources more than others?

Scenario: lets say there are 50 gallons of water to drink, and there are 5 people. Each person is given 10 gallons of water, one person decides to use up a lot more water than the rest of his peers. What are your thoughts on this resource scenario?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I agree with you 100% I wish all resources can be shared equally among people. But just speaking about resource equality alone, What are your thoughts on how we should manage resources for people who drain resources more than others?

Scenario: lets say there are 50 gallons of water to drink, and there are 5 people. Each person is given 10 gallons of water, one person decides to use up a lot more water than the rest of his peers. What are your thoughts on this resource scenario?
It should be disallowed. Of course the mechanisms for implementing this are of great debate (as is even the idea itself) and would require a great deal of careful thought and argument. But now we're moving towards pragmatism and policy. I thought we were playing God?:p

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012

mobilehaathi said:
Delighted said:

It should be disallowed. Of course the mechanisms for implementing this are of great debate (as is even the idea itself) and would require a great deal of careful thought and argument. But now we're moving towards pragmatism and policy. I thought we were playing God?:p
haha definitely not God. just one thing we can change in the world as humans LOL But again I would say give everybody their 10 gallons of water(opportunity) and let them choose what they decide to do with it.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Remove the part of our DNA that makes us want to kill and exploit eachother.