If you can pay $100 for more storage, why isn't there a bigger battery model too?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nnacrumors, Sep 16, 2014.

1. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

I mean if you can pay an extra $100 for 64gb instead of 16gb, why doesn't Apple have a tiny bit thicker iPhone model that has a much larger battery ala Droid MAXX? Think of an iPhone 6 with a 3000+ mAh battery and flush camera :eek:

And it's not like this wouldn't work for both sides. It would increase Apples profits (just like the extra storage version does) and gives customers that need it the option. Happy customers + extra profits = win.

They wouldn't even need to sell that model right away or stock it in stores, they could simply handle all the regular iPhone 6 orders for the first few months... then offer the iPhone 6 MAXX as an online only purchase so that they don't have to worry about having any wasted stock sitting in stores.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Because Jony Ive couldn't live with himself selling such an ugly, fat device. :rolleyes:

3. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Yeah! And why not a special camera version like the Galaxy Zoom, or a rugged and waterproof version, or a Beats version with front facing speakers?

Because Apple's not interested in diluting their iPhone experience.

4. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

because having my phone last all day under heavy usage without access to a charger totally dilutes the iphone experience? what?

5. applebro macrumors regular

applebro

op, if you want a million different variants of a phone, just go with android and enjoy the limited amount of accessories available.

it's bad enough they make 2 different sizes now. I just had a terrible android flashback yesterday when i was looking at cases for the new iPhone. Found the perfect one. Well they don't make it for the iPhone 6 Plus, only the iPhone 6. Never experienced this before with iPhone until now ughhhhh

6. iOz macrumors regular

There is a bigger battery option. It's called the iPhone 6 plus.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Memory involves putting a different chip in.

You're asking for a change that would require entire separate factories with totally different equipment. That's a massive big deal and goes against Apple's entire philosophy of keeping their supply lines as simple as reasonably possible.

8. nnacrumors thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure WTF you guys are talking about :confused:

It wouldn't be 'fat', simply the same thickness as the camera protrudes.

As for the hyperbole of a million different variants the above two posters tried to spew... who cares? It's simply a few millimeters of thickness and not that different. Plus it's not like it would dilute your experience with your 6 and it would help customers who actually want a phone that lasts all day (in addition to helping Apple increase it's profits).

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

This and the designer comments.

It is what it is.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

+$100 Bigger battery
    +$100 Higher res screen
    +$100 Thinner with less battery
    +$100 Stereo speakers
    +$100 30mpx camera
    +$100 5mpx front camera
    +$100 larger screen
    +$100 waterproofing
    +$100 Faster A8
    +$100 2GB RAM
    +$100 4K recording

At the Genius Bar when something goes wrong: "I'm sorry, we haven't got your 4.7" gold 256GB extra-battery 30mpx camera 4K recording waterproofed iPhone in stock. 4 week wait to order it in."

Whatever you say about Apple, they are masters of inventory and SKU management - 95% of the time they'll have your model in stock to buy (apart from at launch) or for replacement purposes.

Options will just dilute that too much. They already have 3 colours, 2 sizes, 3 capacities, 6 cellular versions, (that's over 100 models) and that's just for the iPhone 6.

11. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

At first I came in to criticize, explaining that there is not real space difference between the storage capacities. But what you say makes sense. Why wouldnt they increase the thickness of the 6+ to make the camera flush, and adding additional battery capacity. I dont think anyone wouldve complained, the thickness is not one of the rave points of the 6+ anyway. It seems like a good design strategy, especially since (from what I experience), the demand for thinner isnt as great as battery life. I disagree that there shouldve been additional models for different battery capacities, but they couldve at least redesigned the 6+ to work with it.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Even more proof it's a bad idea. If it's "not that different" then they should just offer the bigger one as the only option and kill the thinner one. (Why they didn't choose that one, I can't answer, but the fact remains that choosing one was the right way to go.)

Having two version that are difficult to tell the difference between would be terrible. It would be like offering a 4.7 and 4.9 inch screen.

13. applebro macrumors regular

applebro

A lot of people care about having a unified design so that accessories aren't constantly becoming obsolete or going through the same crap that I went through with the only case that I was interested in.

If that stuff didn't matter to me, I would probably waiting for the Note 4 that has an SD slot for removable storage, removable battery so I could increase it, etc. etc. etc.

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I guess you missed my sarcasm. I was commenting about Ive's obsession for thinness/aesthetics over practicality. I would love a larger phone with more battery. They should have made it that way to begin with.

15. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

The last example like this I remember buying was one of the last hard drive based video iPods. There was a 30/40 or 40/80 GB pair and the larger one had an extra platter and and a taller case to support it. From a technical standpoint, it's totally doable.

The issue is marketing. With 3 colors and 3 storage (used to be 4), that's 9 models. With the plus, that's 18. But as described above, that's only 2 case sizes. If each 6 had a high capacity version, that would be 3 colors and 3 storage and 2 battery, that's 18 models. With the plus, that's 36. And 4 case sizes.

There's also a pricing problem. Even triple the battery isn't half of $100, needed to make a new price point. You could stuff other goodies into the package (more ram anyone?), but then developers wouldn't know what to expect or would have to ignore one or would have to write for both.

A simpler answer would be to build the extra capacity into the models that are already more expensive. Make the 128 people have to take more thickness and then don't give the 16 people the choice. No higher model count and customers already know the model names.

Another option would be returning to removable batteries. Add thickness and weight to every model, then give the option for larger included and swappable power. Would you be willing to have twice the thickness for twice the runtime + hot swapability?

16. nnacrumors thread starter macrumors 6502

Whooooooosh (right over my head) sorry about that :eek:

But yeah I don't get Ive's obsession either with thinness. At least give me the option to pay you extra for more battery life :(