If you cannot afford the upcoming iPhone and are using an older iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Azariah80, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Azariah80 macrumors member

Firstly, I bought the iPhone 4 at release and sold it a few months down the road and regretted it! I was then stuck using a iPhone 3G. But AT&T is offering refurb iPhone 4's for $100! I ordered it and it came in two days. I just wanted to give someone a heads up in case your strapped for cash like me. The iPhone 4 is still an amazing phone.

2. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Nice, bought a phone, sold for a loss because you are strapped for cash, then spent another $100 on something you already had... Makes sense :rolleyes:

3. Azariah80 thread starter macrumors member

I actually made $250 when I sold it. Which is now a $150. I can live with that.

4. twitt3r, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

twitt3r macrumors 6502

Stock response, "I actually made..." Whatever.

If it were so profitable for everybody, people would buy hundreds of them and sell them on...er wait, they do. They are called "stores" :rolleyes:

5. maril1111, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2011

maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

That guy gave a good tip for anyone who lives in the us.

6. twitt3r, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

twitt3r macrumors 6502

I just find it amazing how pretty much everybody around here who says they sold their phone pretends that they made a profit on it... Buying a phone on a contract for $199 then selling that phone for $449 does not actually represent a profit... :rolleyes:

7. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Thanks to OP. I was going to give my 4 to my Mother in Law whose bill I pay for. She has a 3G. I can get the refurb for $99 and sell mine when the 5 come out.

8. Azariah80 thread starter macrumors member

No problem. Its a good deal.

9. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Seems like a decent thing... Not sure if any of the telcos in Oz do similar... Probably not... We have steaming bloodsuckers down under..

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i'm not even going to question you, but i know that you're going to bring up the agreement between the person and the career (the contract you sign)

however, as long as you're happy with and using the service, then yes, you are making a profit because you aren't leaving that company regardless of what phone you use.

11. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Sure, if you are happy paying the higher monthly premium to cover the reduced handset cost in the first place... Then of course you need to get yourself another phone to use, so I fail to see how you think that is considered making a profit. The fact is, just like with cars, phones only ever end up costing you money, and just like with cars, the cheapest way to own one is to keep it for a very long time until it becomes false economy to keep it going, or it gives up on you and needs replacing.

It's crazy how people think they are making a profit or cheating the system by adopting various contracts, then selling, then buying outright, then selling, then going back on a contract etc.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I completely agree. I view it as not profit, but more along the lines of subsidizing myself for the purchase.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm assuming you aren't from the US. In the US most cell carriers charge you the same amount per month regardless of if you brought your own phone or not. So in that case as long as the OP already had the 3G and was planning on paying for an iPhone plan anyway he did make a profit.

14. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Who cares if he made a loss or not?

He posted a helpful tip for anyone who wants to get an iPhone 4 for whatever reason (For example what if yours is stolen or it breaks out of warranty... that's even cheaper than Apple's out of warranty replacement).

Thank you OP for giving us this tip.

15. Azariah80 thread starter macrumors member

Bottom line is if someone wants an iPhone 4. It's available for a more than reasonable amount.

16. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yeah but that price is for upgrade eligible or new customers only. So if you break your phone and you don't get an upgrade, it is cheaper paying the Apple replacement fee instead of buying a new iPhone outright.

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Oh... for some reason I thought it was just 100 dollars for a refurb (specially since he said he got an iPhone 4 last year on contract so he shouldn't be able to get an upgrade yet ? ).

Oh well, least I don't have the issue yet (mine is not stolen or lost and not broken and hopefully it stays that way ;) ).

18. Azariah80 thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is an upgrade. If you bought the iPhone 4 on the release date, your eligible for an upgrade now. At least with AT&T.

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

like others have said, you must not be in the US.. or even in North America.

in Canada, you pay $50 for THAT PLAN whether you sign a contract or not.

here's a scenario for you where you one could make a profit in Canada:

you buy a smartphone, contract ends 3 years later and you're eligible for an upgrade. your current smartphone is still in perfectly good condition. you have no reason to leave the company and they will even lower your monthly bill by 50% and give you a new piece of hardware.

so you opt to get an iPhone 4 for $159 on a 3 year term, and you sell it for $xxx.xx

is this not making a profit? you're going to stay with this company regardless, you're happy with your handset, the service AND on a new 3 year term where you have a reduced bill with the same (or more) features.

20. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Where in the post did it say he took a loss when he sold his ip4?? He simply said he regretted selling it.

21. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

It sure does if u plan on staying with the carrier that u signed the contract with. I'm staying with my current carrier, got ip4 on launch day, am eligible for an upgrade, and Im selling my ip4 for $450. So I'll be getting my ip5 for free, and putting $50 in my pkt. Or maybe ill go the the next memory tier for $50. Either way I win.

22. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I can't afford the iPhone 5 because I'm just fifteen. BUT next summer I hope to be working full time so that when the iPhone 6 comes out I can buy it full price out of contract.

23. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

You are not making profit

Paying 199$ upfront but you are also contractually obligated to pay a monthly fee for the next 2 years which at the end would be hundreds more than the revenue you got for selling the phone.

24. james92se macrumors 6502a

I don't really understand this reasoning and I've seen this all over today.

On AT&T my bill is ~$71 per month with 450 minutes and unlimited data. I'm under contract. My contract was expired for a few months last year. How much was I paying? ~$71 per month.

So, where exactly is this monthly fee that everybody keeps talking about that adds up to "hundreds more" during the contract term?

:confused:

25. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

Wow..just wow..

the 71 dollars a month X however many months your contract was.

Look, if you really think that the iphone is only costing you the 200 dollars you initially pay for it, go to the ATT store tomorrow and see if you can buy one for 200 bucks minus the monthly plan cost. Then come back and post here.