If you could create your own Notification System.......

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blakjack, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

If you could create your own notification system, how would it work?

I myself would like the android system done in a more apple way, whatever that might be. I like the way it let's you read some of it at the top then turns into the appropriate icon. I also like the way it allows you to pull the tray down to expose all the messages that you have ignored.

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

A carbon copy of LockInfo would pretty much be perfect.

3. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Its the main reason, that and SBSettings, that I JB my iPhone.

5. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

It's not difficult to list all notifications on the lock screen. The challenge is to show notifications informatively but non-intrusively while the user is using an app or game.

Personally, I think something similar to Growl on OS X would work nice. Or Android and WebOS are nice. Whatever Apple do, given their history, it's likely to be better than any current solution, so i'm quite excited about what they do.

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

The great thing about LockInfo is not having the list on the lock screen, its the icons along the top bar that let you know something is there, be it an e-mail, sms, or general notification from another program. Personally I have the LockInfo interface hidden on my lock screen and just the slide down function when there is something there to take a look at.

7. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

the only problem i find with LockInfo is if you're in an app that uses the whole screen, there's no statusbar to show you any notifications. the onyl work around i have is using biteSMS' quick reply function for text messages, if there was something like this for e-mail i'd be sorted.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

hybrid between LockInfo and WebOS notification system.

You just have to play with the settings, Lockinfo comes with "InfoShade" that slide from the top of bottom and can hold all your notifications, RSS feeds and Twitter. You can disable the LockScreen part if you don;t like it and have InfoShade only.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

At least a little icon in the top bar showing if you have mail, texts, or missed calls. Why is that so much to ask of for Apple? :confused:

10. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

@vincenz. Use Open Notifier.
    Jailbreaking your iPad: Is that so much to ask?

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

anything is better than the ugly disruptive blue bubbles that we have now.

i'd like to get an overview of what is going on on the lock screen even if the phone is locked.

i apps i'd like to have a non intrusive status bar on the top that shows me how many new mails (maybe also the sender and subject) and small icons of apps that need attention.

webOS has a much better notification system compared to iOS. I can't wait for a HP tablet with web OS. even if it's not competitive it will push apple in the right direction.

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well considering that the Designer and Inventor of WebOS Notification left HP/Palm and join Apple I'll say we got a good chance to see a remap notification system on iOS5.