If you could eat anything without consequences, how would you eat?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by samiwas, Jan 17, 2014.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

This is my version of a Squilly thread. And it was kind of inspired by the "do you eat organic?" thread, and something I've been wondering about recently.

We have some people who only eat local farm-to-table organic food. We have vegetarians and vegans. We have some who make their own 38-ingredient barbecue sauce. But, if there were no concerns about getting fat, your heart exploding, your teeth rotting out, or any of other numerous issues, how would your eating habits change?

For me? I would probably eat a ton more fast food. While I enjoy cooking my own meals from fresh stuff, and I love good food I often just want something quick and easy. And I actually like most fast food, and the speed makes it that much better. I'm usually just as happy with a Big Mac as I am with a hormone-free half-pound burger with all the fixings. Outside of that, Mexican food…bring it on!

My other indulgences would be those non-stop build-your-own frozen yogurt places and endless boxes of Runts candy.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

For me, basically the same as I currently eat.

3. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I would probably be eating smoked baby back ribs, coleslaw, mashed potatos with gravy, and milkshakes every single day for every meal.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Fried everything!

Also, lots of (extremely un-PC) pate de foie gras, Russian caviar, gourmet salamis and, if I didn't mention it...fried everything!

Wait...with the exception to the pate (can't afford it)...that's how I eat already!:eek:

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I would eat the same as now, except that, free of budgetary consequences, I would start buying/importing some rather extremely expensive oils, vinegars, fish eggs, spices, etc.

And all the expensive equipment too. ;)

6. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

So good as well.

But of course you gotta take the foie gras, then stuff it in a quail. Nothing like chopping off one birds head, and stuffing the vital organ of another in it, covering it in a **** ton of wine, and roasting it slowly for 3 hours....mmmmm :D

----------

Yes. I already do that mostly ( not for every single day, I'm well off but good god on some of the prices to import ).

No home should be without, a nice deep fryer, nice stove/oven. Texas built smoker fueled by wood of course, wood oven, and a steam oven.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Brussel sprouts, bean sprouts and buckwheat noodles.

OMG.

8. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Seasoned with a Prius of course ;)

/s

I think Brussel sprouts are a super underrated food actually, I like them raw even. But the best way to prepare them is to deep fry them, then cover them in truffle oil and a little cheese, SUPER awesome ;)

9. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

10. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

why not :D

A deep fried Oreo cheesecake steak burger with corned beef as a topping

11. trewyn15 macrumors 6502

Is money one of these consequences not being considered?

I would probably go stock up on a bunch of the pre-made salads at Wal-Mart, lots of McDonalds since I'm not putting on weight and money's not an issue. Probably eat out a bunch in general haha

12. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

This definitely reminds me of the movie "Defending Your Life".

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Pizza, I would eat that all the time. Now, I try to be good because of the amount of carbs, cholesterol and calories.

14. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

If your a sucker for amazing food, like me. Do what I do and run 3-4 miles a day when the weather is halfway decent, then you can eat whatever the **** you want without weight gain :)

15. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

+1. This and an epic slice of cheesecake every night :)

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Mexican food. All the time. Every day. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner. And almost everything would be covered in queso blanco and salsa verde.

17. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Cookies and milk, brownies, cheesecake, McDoubles, McChickens, Taco Bell chicken burritos, Taco Bell cheesy stuffed potato burritos, Pizza Hut Meat Lover's pizza, Dairy Queen Oreo Blizzard, all day every day!

18. snberk103 macrumors 603

I simply wouldn't think about it.... I'd just go with my impulse of the moment. I'm at that age where I need to watch what I eat.... I can eat favourite foods, but I need to think about quantities and frequency. So - I'd simply be able to eat on impulse. Which means more junk food for snacking... but I'd still try to grow my own veggies for their taste.

19. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Oh dear. I shouldn't have opened this thread. Currently on a diet :( , but lost 2 pound this week:).

Anyway I would eat a lot of take away. Dominos pizza, McDonalds, Indian, Chinese and fish and chips.
    I would eat a fry up every morning.
    Lots of crisps, especially Doritos with salsa dip and cream cheese and chive Pringles.
    Roast pork. Roast beef. Roast lamb. All with roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings.
    And lots of beer!

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Right, then. I did write a post in the 'organic' thread, and I do eat organic when I am at home in western Europe, and buy organic produce, (meat as well as vegetables) in the local farmers' market.

However, while I readily subscribe to the philosophy of organic production (and consumption) of food, I also subscribe - equally heartily - to the advanced postgraduate school of gourmand enjoyment.

Which means I like my food, eat well, and simply love the concept of fine dining. There are few greater pleasures in life than eating an excellent meal, washed down with good wine, (mellow on the palate), with cognac and coffee (preferably espresso) to follow, in company that one greatly enjoys. At least, not to me.

That means I do not count calories, and believe, most fervently, that the calories I consume must be 'good calories', as in the calories that come from the full, tasty, version. While I may compromise (with reluctance and only under duress) about quantity, I will never compromise on quality. This means that I have neither liking nor tolerance for things such as margarine, low fat milk, sunflower oil - or other insipid nonsense - not when butter, full fat milk, double cream, and olive oil exist in their full, flavoursome glory instead.

The upshot of all this is that while my vegetables are indeed mostly organic, my salamis (thank you, Shrink, for the timely reminder of the sheer joys of gourmet salamis) are rich, and elegantly dappled with ample (and tasty) specks of creamy goodness. Patés, too. (Yes, Shrink, that, too). Parma and Iberico ham, while I am at it (the main reason I will never become a vegetarian; imagine a life where one would never sample a plate of keenly sliced Iberico ham, marbled with explosive flavours).....

And cheeses. While there are many things I will willingly forego in this life, a generous, well-stocked, cheeseboard comprising of oozing, aromatic artisan cheeses, full of forbidden flavours) is not one of them. Ever. Not in this life, at least, whatever about subsequent ones.....

21. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I'd still eat a lot of

Greens and organic. And I would still juice, because I love greens and I am used to juicing.

I can't go day without greens, usually salads, veggies and at least 1 juice so that would stick.

but if I could eat anything?

Spare ribs (any kind, but I've been jonesing for Chinese spare ribs a lot lately.)
    Pizza with anything. I miss pepperoni pizza.
    Shrimp and Lobster more frequently.

and I'd try some of these fancy restaurants in NYC just once (Eleven Madison Park, Jean-George etc.)

Not really into sweets anymore, I'd have something occasionally but I prefer savory stuff.

I eat some things I shouldn't, but I try not to freak over it too much.

22. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Feel your pain brother--into week three of 'healthier living' myself and I already miss so many of my favorites.

I love to eat all types of food and will try almost anything (no bugs or internal organs) so I'd love to explore my palate without thinking about the nutritional (or lack thereof ;)) side of things. But when it comes down to it, I have a terrible sweet tooth (especially pastries and baked good) and some of my favorite are the simplest--pizza (good artisanal crust with tons of toppings), burgers and really good, dark craft beer. Mmmmmm, beeeer (in my best Homer Simpson voice).

23. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Udon noodles of all forms, but mostly nabeyaki, tho kitsune and su udon are equally yummy...

oh and hot pots...

and toblerones...

Gods, now I'm hungry -.-

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I wish I had the fortitude to consider consequences and permanently alter how I eat.

25. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Actually, I'd probably just eat like how I did today :(
    At some of the local places the healthiest stuff you can get is water :rolleyes: